mx6 second ecu?? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-12-13, 11:55   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 3

mx6 second ecu??

Hi all, my 2nd gen mx6 came with a kf 2.0 engine with external igniter and that engine died. I'm in the process of swapping it with a kl2.5 the engines we get there in Trinidad are from japan so i'm guessing its a klze. I got the engine and wiring harness however i am a little confused about the wiring. The jacks are different in addition the old harness has a second ecu that plugs into the harness with 2 black jacks its located behind the main ecu. Is that the transmission ecu or what?
krisjoseph_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-12-13, 12:08   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 95 Power: 5

You seems like very new to MX6 and ask for a very old impractical idea.

I4 for V6 will cost you a lot of headaches and trouble as you basicly need to swap the whole car except the chassis or the body.

In the US, getting a V6 is just from hundreds to $1500. It is better to sell you I4 and buy an old V6 for couple hundred then swap KLZE. Trust me, this will cost you way less than swapping I4 to V6.

There is a thread in this site and I guess only i person actually did it. However, it was done long logn time ago when the value of V6 was still around $5000.

Hope this help

My Rides: 08 750I, 01 740IL, 99 Z3, 93 MX6 GREEN, 96 3000GT VR4, 99 3000GT, 03 Eclipse GT
My Wife: 03 ML 350, 08 Kia Sedona
On sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-13-13, 22:26   #3 (permalink)

Well maybe new but not totally ignorant. From my research i4 is a 4 cylinder engine my old engine was a kf v6 2.0 l and my new engine is a klv6 2.5l
old engine

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
new engine

new jacks

old jacks

Just a note my new kl has a coil and distributor in one and the old kf has an external coil
any help would be appreciated
Old 1-14-13, 20:55   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 4

Rewire the signal wire going into the external coil to go into the KL distributor. The distributor has 2 harness connectors on it while your KF likely only had 1. The extra connector on the KL distributor is for the wiring that would go to your KF's external coil. Now the bad news. Your external coil is going to send back a signal to the KF ECU that is different from the KL distributor. The resistance (Ohms) is going to be different and that might cause weak spark, no spark, or other issues. You've got a project on your hands now. Good luck.

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-14-13, 22:05   #5 (permalink)

Opps, that is why I am not sure where u come, as I assume u r the majority 2.0 which is I4

Here is the link, hope it will help u to finds ur questions. Base on what I have read so far, yes it will be a big project to you and it may end up the same result as my assumption in my first post. Nonetheless, good luck...............

Club323F • View topic - klze swap

My Rides: 08 750I, 01 740IL, 99 Z3, 93 MX6 GREEN, 96 3000GT VR4, 99 3000GT, 03 Eclipse GT
Old 1-16-13, 3:42   #6 (permalink)

I have the two harnesses - the original kf and the one that came with the kl as well as the main ecu for both engines.so im trying some reverse engineering as well as the diagrams. I found out that its a different tcu that one uses and i can get it for about $80 usd. Tested where all the wires were getting signals from. I wired the main jack pcm power , start sigal etc yesterday which was the 7 wire connector, only a million more to go....... thanks for the links guys ill post my results soon
Old 1-16-13, 9:15   #7 (permalink)

Total: 72 Power: 4

krisjoseph_2000 - congrats on having the balls to do this.

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
TwoPedalWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-20-13, 17:05   #8 (permalink)

does anyone have the klze workshop manual? I have all the others but the klze color codes and pinouts seem to be different from the klde and I'm kinda stuck without it.
Old 2-2-13, 13:33   #9 (permalink)

Any luck or update?

Old 2-2-13, 16:51   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 4

You aren't stuck if you have a multimeter and a diagram of the DE distributor pinout which is likely the same as the ZE distributor. Gotta do some backprobing during cranking and you'll figure it out eventually. Yes it's going to be time consuming, tedious, and frustrating but you can do it that way. If you can find the start signal wire and hook that up then you have the skills to do the rest. You don't need an ECU pinout you just need to do a hell of a lot of backprobing.

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-5-13, 2:25   #11 (permalink)

Well for now since I needed to use the car I have pustponed the project. I ended up using my old harness with my old vaf, disty, ecu, external coil, and intake. The vris seems to kick in and the engine runs effortlessly even though I know it could run better with the original setup but I'm OK for now till I get my gearbox overtaking seems to be amazingly quick, I'm afraid of the kl for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement