CEL is on, but can't pull code - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-12-13, 16:49   #1 (permalink)
jpo
  Total: 10 Power: 0

CEL is on, but can't pull code

Hi everyone I have a 93 LS with a KLZE
My CEL is on but when I tried to pull a code the CEL lights up, turns off, and lights back up and stays on.
Has anyone else had this problem? I tried searching but found nothing conclusive
The engine was swapped by one of the previous owners and the one I bought it from didn't know much about it so I don't know if I have the probinator chip, which I've read might have something to do with this.
Any advice is appreciated
jpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-13-13, 16:48   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 3

That means the diagnostic system is setting a code on itself. The diagnostic system isn't working properly most likely due to the swap. Someone didn't get something wired up correctly. Asking us what it could be based off that is impossible to tell you.

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-14-13, 8:57   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 73 Power: 5

Mine has the ze and a constant EGR code, but I can still pull codes. Double check all the wiring like Dj said.

.l..o_0..l.
93 MX6 LS KLZE w/ Interprep valve srpings and DE retainers, SS headers, Cat delete, Pacesetter catback exhaust, 11lb Flywheel, and Vogtland sport springs around KYB GR2 Struts.

Car set for over a year and someone stole the CAI, nice of them. Just replaced very noisy friction gear springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeBUmLmAOM . Next project is to program a micro controller to convert GM MAF signal to a 0-7v signal that mimics our VAFs.
nate_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-14-13, 10:33   #4 (permalink)
jpo

Thanks for the help, I'm not very handy with wiring/electrical so I wouldnt know where to begin but I've got the haynes manual with wiring diagrams, so I'll see what I can find
Old 1-14-13, 12:27   #5 (permalink)

The best thing to do is a thorough visual inspection. Look for anything that has been spliced into or repaired.

.l..o_0..l.
93 MX6 LS KLZE w/ Interprep valve srpings and DE retainers, SS headers, Cat delete, Pacesetter catback exhaust, 11lb Flywheel, and Vogtland sport springs around KYB GR2 Struts.

Car set for over a year and someone stole the CAI, nice of them. Just replaced very noisy friction gear springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeBUmLmAOM . Next project is to program a micro controller to convert GM MAF signal to a 0-7v signal that mimics our VAFs.
Old 1-17-13, 0:00   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 122 Power: 5

Just curious , how are you checking codes? have access to OBDI scanner?

96 MX6 M Edition,5 speed-cai-Dynomax testpipe/glasspack,Raven dual chamber/dual exit muffler-few interior mods;DD
95 MX6,I4 5 speed -cai-GReddy cat back-strut brace/bar;Main DD
2001 Hyundai Tiburon,auto
94 626,V6 automatic-sold
tjvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-18-13, 11:36   #7 (permalink)

Most likely jumping pins an watching for flashing light.

.l..o_0..l.

Old 1-18-13, 12:25   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 16 Power: 5

Re: CEL is on, but can't pull code

Its the funnest way^ lolz
whiteboysmx6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1-18-13, 18:37   #9 (permalink)

Even with my Snapon Verus on an OBD1 MX6 it will make the light flash and just record the counts and spit out a list of codes.

.l..o_0..l.

Old 1-19-13, 11:25   #10 (permalink)
jpo

Yea i was jumping the TEN to GND, turning the key to on, and watching the light. My CEL does the same thing without the pins connected when i turn the key to on. so it probably is something wired incorrectly somewhere. I don't work well in this chicago winter so I still havent checked anything out, but I'll let you guys know my findings when I do.
Old 1-19-13, 11:34   #11 (permalink)
jpo

And i live next to a shop that I do buisness with through napa, I'm gonna have them try an obd1 scanner and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement