Power gain at 0m sea level - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-14-13, 4:56 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Power gain at 0m sea level

I Live 1600m above sea level and when my dad and me went on a 4000km road trip along the coast of South Africa the car felt like it had much more power. Its a 2.5 v6 automatic and coast side it would spin the wheels when you would accelerate hard from a standstill, something it doesnt do where I live.

Now that I'm back home I miss the extra power I had at the coast, tried googling it, anyone knows the % you gain when going to 0m sea level? Or perhaps how to duplicate the power gain in land?

Thought I share a picture I took at Knysna, its between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-14-13, 9:29

Power: 3

Air has less oxygen per m3 (or cubic feet or whatever you wanna use as a measurement) the higher up you go. Couldn't tell you the exact numbers. If you want to replicate this you'd want to allow for more oxygen to get into your engine. Ram air intake, cold air intake, forced induction would be things to look at.

http://www.higherpeak.com/altitudechart.html
There we go. 20.9% oxygen at 0m, 17.2% at roughly 1500m. This means at your level there's roughly 18% less oxygen per m3 in the air for your engine to burn.

Last edited by Mika-MX6; 1-14-13 at 10:09.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-14-13, 10:55

Power: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika-MX6 View Post
Air has less oxygen per m3 (or cubic feet or whatever you wanna use as a measurement) the higher up you go. Couldn't tell you the exact numbers. If you want to replicate this you'd want to allow for more oxygen to get into your engine. Ram air intake, cold air intake, forced induction would be things to look at.

Altitude Training, Hypoxic Training, Altitude Tent, VO2 Max by Higher Peak
There we go. 20.9% oxygen at 0m, 17.2% at roughly 1500m. This means at your level there's roughly 18% less oxygen per m3 in the air for your engine to burn.
Ah as that website states the actual % isn't different, but the effective amount is (due to barometric pressure). So the physics behind my explanation was slightly off, the conclusion is still pretty much the same

(My apologies. I hit quote instead of edit. End of the work day, blah )
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-14-13, 13:09

Power: 5

Yep. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ure-d_462.html The air density is about 17% less, so you would be losing about the same 17% of power. The only cure: a supercharger, to pressurise the air to compensate.

BTW, if you test compression at 1600m your compression tests will also be about 17% down too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 1-15-13, 0:09 Thread Starter

Power: 0

Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page