97 mx6 ls starting issue - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-14-13, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 4

97 mx6 ls starting issue

I have yet to find a mechanic i trust, but i suck with diagnostics, so any input is appreciated......Basically I have to give it very light throttle, to get it started. otherwise it will take 3 or 4 trys without throttle, on most startup attempts.

I have had p1195 CEL on for about 4 months, showing no symptoms, indicating EGR valve, and from what i understand its nothing i have to worry about until its time for an emissions test, and even then its very minor, Right??

i replaced the ignition coil inside the disty last weekend-

i brought it to the Mechanic this morning, Explaining my budget is no more than $120 until payday. He says fuel pump is a possibility and can run around $500, and i should wait until i have that budget available.
Mx6ownsVtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-15-13, 7:24   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 73 Power: 5

If you have to hold the pedal down a little I doubt its a fuel pump. however if your EGR is stuck partially open it will cause your problem. How does your car idle once you get it running?

.l..o_0..l.
93 MX6 LS KLZE w/ Interprep valve srpings and DE retainers, SS headers, Cat delete, Pacesetter catback exhaust, 11lb Flywheel, and Vogtland sport springs around KYB GR2 Struts.

Car set for over a year and someone stole the CAI, nice of them. Just replaced very noisy friction gear springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeBUmLmAOM . Next project is to program a micro controller to convert GM MAF signal to a 0-7v signal that mimics our VAFs.
nate_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-15-13, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 3

Look up a diagnostic test for the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pump has to be primed first which happens when you turn the key to ON (not start). Try doing that twice next time instead of pumping on the gas, see if that makes a difference. If it does work then you've probably got low fuel pressure. It could be a faulty fuel pump yes but it could also be a bad fuel pressure regulator... because that's what it does... it regulates the fuel pressure. I don't think a stuck open EGR would have these symptoms. I could be wrong.

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-15-13, 19:20   #4 (permalink)

Update: throttle doesnt do much when its cold if anything at all. light throttle seems to help during warm starts i could be wrong... its looking like ima be at the mechanics mercy ... My back hurts to much to bend over a hood for longer than an our anyways... Thanks for the input guys. any other advice i should give the mechanic, besides 'be carefull these cars are not so easy to diagnose' i should give the mechanic would be aprecieated.

djdevon3 yes i tryed that seems to make no difference.
Old 1-16-13, 5:37   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

The fuel pump doesn't prime when the key is in the on position (on the mx6), it only kicks in when cranking.

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-16-13, 9:34   #6 (permalink)

A stuck open EGR is a vacuum leak, so it can cause these symptoms. I used to see it fairly often on early to mid 90's gm cars and trucks. You have to much air and not enough fuel, so holding down the accelerator adds enough fuel for combustion. However if you have differing symptoms on hot and cold starts it is less likely to be an EGR. Do you only have a hard start on hot/warm starts or all the time? You could always rent a fuel pressure gauge from zone or advanced to be sure.

.l..o_0..l.
93 MX6 LS KLZE w/ Interprep valve srpings and DE retainers, SS headers, Cat delete, Pacesetter catback exhaust, 11lb Flywheel, and Vogtland sport springs around KYB GR2 Struts.

Car set for over a year and someone stole the CAI, nice of them. Just replaced very noisy friction gear springs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeBUmLmAOM . Next project is to program a micro controller to convert GM MAF signal to a 0-7v signal that mimics our VAFs.
Old 1-16-13, 19:45   #7 (permalink)

its weird i came to the conclusion that im not noticing no patterns... sometimes giving it gas wont even do anything...

This morning after attempting to start it up 3x it started ran like [shizzle] for 2 seconds and died, i started it up again and it was fine.
Old 1-16-13, 21:39   #8 (permalink)

Ok, lets go back to the first time it happened. What were you doing when it first occurred (first start up after sitting all night, just filled with gas, just run the balls of the car turned off and tried to restart, etc)? Is there anything you've done to the car lately? If you are start going through multiple crank cycles for it to start it vary well could be related to fuel pressure, be it fuel pump or fpr.

.l..o_0..l.

Old 1-16-13, 23:48   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 122 Power: 5

just curious ,why did you replace coil?did you have a no spark situation?

96 MX6 M Edition,5 speed-cai-Dynomax testpipe/glasspack,Raven dual chamber/dual exit muffler-few interior mods;DD
95 MX6,I4 5 speed -cai-GReddy cat back-strut brace/bar;Main DD
2001 Hyundai Tiburon,auto
94 626,V6 automatic-sold
tjvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-17-13, 0:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_v8 View Post
Ok, lets go back to the first time it happened. What were you doing when it first occurred (first start up after sitting all night, just filled with gas, just run the balls of the car turned off and tried to restart, etc)? Is there anything you've done to the car lately? If you are start going through multiple crank cycles for it to start it vary well could be related to fuel pressure, be it fuel pump or fpr.
it did it 2 or 3 times since iv had it over the year, didnt even think much of it it would start 2nd try, last 2 weeks its been getting worse and worse, but it seems to be holding steady last couple days, i fear if it gets any worse it wont start at all.

Oh and if i keep trying to crank without giving it a break it wont start no matter what, until i try another attempt.

(I WILL POST SOLUTION TO THESE SYMPTOMS WHEN SOLVED)
Old 1-17-13, 0:31   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvjr View Post
just curious ,why did you replace coil?did you have a no spark situation?
nope, i bought a coil when i did my tune up, but i decided that it was to hard to change, i didnt want to do distributor surgery at that time. so logic told me to install it when my starting problem starting getting noticeably bad.

Is crank sensor something to suspect?
Old 1-17-13, 2:05   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 122 Power: 5

Being a 97 it is a OBDII car so it would most likely have a code if crank sensor is failing. The distributors are more reliable as well. I suspect a vacuum leak , either at the egr or elsewhere. From your description it fits and is first thing that comes to mind. p1195 is for the egr boost sensor open or short so that's probably the best place to start . You may have more than one problem , a cracked throttle body to airbox boot will cause similar symptoms and its relatively easy to check.

96 MX6 M Edition,5 speed-cai-Dynomax testpipe/glasspack,Raven dual chamber/dual exit muffler-few interior mods;DD
95 MX6,I4 5 speed -cai-GReddy cat back-strut brace/bar;Main DD
2001 Hyundai Tiburon,auto
94 626,V6 automatic-sold
tjvjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-17-13, 11:35   #13 (permalink)

I'm glad someone else agreed with my first suggestion, lol. Do like tjvjr suggested and check for any possible vacuum leaks if you havent already. The warm engine start being the most common problem sounds like an intermittent EGR sticking, but you usually end up with poor idle or stalling when you stop at a red light or stop sign. I wish I could see the freeze frame data associated with that code, but without having the proper scanner thats a bust.

.l..o_0..l.

Old 1-29-13, 0:36   #14 (permalink)

So i have my car in a tuner shop, 2 blocks from my work. The owner is a really cool mechanic, His name is Alex and he is not only familiar with this site, he track raced an MX6 back before drifting became a thing.

Hes fixing all my lil issues for a really good price! But he is having trouble diagnosing the starting issue , he said hes 90% sure its the injectors, but he cannot guarentee results, so im buying 2 new injectors, an crossing my fingers.

Ill keep you guys informed i get the car out tomarow.
Old 1-29-13, 12:56   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 3

Bad injectors aren't going to prevent the MX-6 from starting. Bad injectors would simply cause a misfire. A short in the injector harness or bad ground could but then that's not a reason to replace injectors. Are the cylinders flooded? Have you checked the timing or verified that the distributor is pointing at #1 when at TDC? We've had a lot of cases on the 626 forums of people getting distributors replaced that quickly die. Honestly this sounds like a distributor or mechanical timing problem. Have you checked fuel pressure?

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement