I recently bought a '96 V6 626 which lasted all of two days before it started hesitating and missing and generally running like someone with a peg-leg trying to steal a betacord.
I did the usual plugs and leads to no avail, then discovered the faulty distributor issue. I put the multimeter across the coil, and confirmed it was failing.
The Yanks use an external coil and a GM igniter which is $20 there and 11tybillion dollars here.
I had an LS1 coil lying around and a bit of research showed they use a built in igniter.
So with some quick testing, this proved to be a super easy install.
I dummied it up to prove the trigger signal from the ECU would operate the coil.
Connections A and B go to a good earth,
Connection C goes to the trigger wire on the 6 pin connector on the distributor (cut and join the wire, but leave the others connected to the distributor) and
The D wire goes to ignition power (cut the 3 pin plug wires from the distributor, there's only two on the plug. The thick black with white trace wire is coil power).
The distributor cap needs to have the plastic filed back over the coil trace, and a hole drilled. I fitted a 4mm bolt and a bunch of nuts to hang the coil lead on. When I get the new cap I'll do it properly.
Here's the semi temporary install. I'll update once I tidy it all up.
So there you go. All up it has cost me $20 for a cap (yet to be delivered from US ebay), $6 for a coil lead and I had 4 LS1 coils kicking about from another project, but they are cheap as anything. Sure beats the $500 wanted for another dizzy.