Mx6 running horrible - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-24-13, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

Unhappy Mx6 running horrible

Hey all I just bought a 93 mx6 ls 2.5 and it was running great. It has 135000 miles on it. When I got it I noticed that if I was setting at a light it would jump, like is was about to cut off. It did that every once a while and as of three days ago when the engine gets to normal temperature is runs bad. Sluggish taking off, no power, when I set at lights it revs low and feels like its gonna shut off but does not, and when I'm at normal speeds its fine. I have no clue what this is, please someone help thank you
Lewisderek1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-25-13, 5:40   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

Thread moved to 2G General.

You say at normal temp it runs bad, but at normal speeds it's fine?

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-25-13, 10:59   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 766 Power: 5

Most likely would be the distributor is about to fail, and/or the spark plug wires need to be replaced (do they look old?). These are common problems with our cars, and the resistance increases with temperature, so the spark is more likely to fail.
NickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-25-13, 13:07   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 16 Power: 5

Re: Mx6 running horrible

Yup always expect it to be the distributor. Been through five already. Only bad thing is that they are like 300$
whiteboysmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-25-13, 19:44   #5 (permalink)

Yea when the engine is cold it don't do it, but as soon as I drive it for about 5 mins. It starts spitting and sputtering, also tries to shut off at stop lights, but it never has
Old 1-25-13, 19:48   #6 (permalink)

I haven't checked the plugs or wires yet, I actually went to see a mechanic today( my uncle) and he said it seems like its skipping/ failing. Which he said try and change the spark plugs and wires distributor and rotor. I just hate to spend the money and that not be the problem. Y'all seem to think that what it is with y'all owning them lol
Old 1-25-13, 19:51   #7 (permalink)

The thing is that the distributor and wires look new haven't checked the plugs but I might be wrong
Old 1-27-13, 15:24   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 16 Power: 5

Re: Mx6 running horrible

Did the car sit for an allotted amount of time without being started or anything??
whiteboysmx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-6-13, 1:31   #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure if it was setting but I fixed the problem. I replaced the distributor cap and it runs like a dream, now I have to figure out why the temp. Gauge don't work, the heat only blows out the defrost, and how to stop serpentine belt from squealing. Lol. Any suggestions?
Old 2-6-13, 7:33   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

There are two or three temp sensors on the engine, one of them is for the gauge on the dash. You just have to search to see which one is which.

For the accessory belt, you will have to loosen the 17mm bolt in the middle of the tensioner pulley and tighten the 10mm adjustment bolt to tighten the belt, then retighten the 17mm bolt in the middle of the pulley to lock it in place. There are two accessory belts, so there are two tensioners. You just have to figure out which one is loose.

For the heat only blowing out the defrost, it could be this: http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...switching.html (a solution for heater controls not switching)

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-7-13, 17:09   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 766 Power: 5

In the V of the engine, right next to the timing belt cover, are two temperature sensors. The smaller one, with 1 wire, is the sensor for the gauge.

If the belt squealing gets worse when you turn on the rear defrost, it's the alternator belt.
If the belt squeal gets worse when you turn the steering wheel, it's the power steering pump belt.
NickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement