Name that ticking/tapping noise.... - Page 4 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-30-13, 11:02   #46 (permalink)
  Total: 194 Power: 5

first, your trans, check the gear oil. pull out fill plug, sitck finger in. if you can feel oil youre ok.

it may not even be the trans. it could be the timing belt is on too tight. yeah i know theres a tensioner in there but the teeth could be bias toward one side hence the over tension.

that leads me to my next comment. that tick is too loud to be lifters. especially if you already changed your oil to a thinner weight to get it through the lifters more easily. did you do a flush before the oil change using an oil flush (with kerosene in it)? if not, do that first. i honestly dont think its the lifters so it may be a waste of money to do another oil change.

i really think your problem is in the timing area. someone changed the timing belt and didnt tension properly. also they most likely didnt change the hydraulic tensioner on the timing belt IF they DID do a change. also, buying a cheapo timing tensioner can cause it to fail within a few hundred miles. a mazda one is highly recommended.

as for the wheels, theyll be ok. i had 215/45/17 42mm offset on eibach ground controls with a finger gap and they didnt rub at all. i dont see your 225 rubbing. and even if it did, itll be real little.

ebay control arms. theyre good/bad. theyre good in a sense that theyre a complete setup for a dirt cheap price. but with cheap price come the bad. the welds (as someone already pointed out) are crappy. theyre 50/50. ive gotten 4 sets for 3 different mx6's and theyve all been good to me. back to the welds. theyre pinch welded. my cars had drilled and slotted rotors and at turns, the pinch weld rubbed onto the rotors. my solution: i cut the "lips" around the ball joint side of the control amrs off and put a layer of weld to keep it from separating. easy peasy.

inner and outer tie rods, theyre really the same unless the price gap becomes bigger. name brand ones tend to be pricier with pretty much the same quality.

example of hydraulic tensioner noise:

good luck!

mine: 93 ZE, clutchmaster clutch, fidanza flywheel, poly motor mounts, HS CAI, HS headers, ractive exhaust, F&R strut bars, ground controls on illuminas, SS clutch line, espec heads/corners and much much more!!
hers: 93 ZE. pretty much the same mods. + F&R drilled rotors, STS, h&r's
josey_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-30-13, 20:29   #47 (permalink)
  Total: 25 Power: 2

Re: Name that ticking/tapping noise....

Hey thanks for the info.

I checked my trans oil and topped it off. It does need changed. Which ill do in a few days. But I believe its the trans gears whining because when I'm in first going slowly, then let off the gas, the whining noise is a bit louder. Like more strain on the gears. But Idk.

As for the ticking noise, yeah its definitely not my lifters. I drove with sea foam in my crank case for almost 100 miles in two days. Then changed it. And its just as bad. I want to believe I have cracked valve retainers because as the car warms up, the metal expands and closes the small crack slightly, making the noise go away. Until the engine cools, and the ticking comes back.

As for the rims, I hope they do fit. I think they would look really good. And apparently they are really rare rims you can only buy in japan.

They eBay control arms, I'm hoping they are a good fit. I really don't want to return them and wait for another pair. I'm so over driving my car around with those bad bushings.
Kipp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-17-13, 1:02   #48 (permalink)

Hey everyone. A little update. I know its been several weeks, but lately I've been working alot of ot, and since I haven't had alot of time to spend with her, the repairs have been coning slowly. Regardless, this past week we had a day in the 60s, so after work I replaced the control arms. A little bit of a job, but they went on easier than I expected. Took about 4-5 hours or so. I also noticed my driver side half shaft is broken. Anyways, Ever since, my car handles amazing guys. I can now push the throttle a bit without my wheel jerking to one side. She goes in a straight line now lol.

Now , back to the original topic....the terrible ticking noise. I still haven't got a clue on what it is. I'm torn between buying new lifters for 150 on eBay, or looking for valve spring retainers, or the friction gear/spring (which I can't seem to find). I'm looking at a good chunk of change if I just want to replace everything that could possibly be the cause. (Which I was thinking of doing in the first place).
Old 2-17-13, 9:30   #49 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 4

Broken half shaft? Got a pic of video? I've never seen one broken and how can you still drive with a broken half shaft? Like a said a month ago you have to remove the upper timing covers and get a look down in there. If you notice a hum recently too then chances are one of your belts is too tight or your alternator is dying. A high pitch whine is a sure sign of a faulty pulley bearing or component that attaches to that pulley whatever that might be. That sound is timing belt or drive belt related. Jiggle all the pulleys you can get your hands on there shouldn't be any movement at all laterally. Spinning is ok just no side to side movement. Gotta get your eyes down there and inspect everything on that side.

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-17-13, 10:27   #50 (permalink)
  Total: 14 Power: 2

Maybe have a look at your exhaust manifold. Mine had a ticking noise that was coming from near the timing belt that got louder with more throttle and ticked faster with more revs. Turns out one of the exhaust mani bolts had worked itself loose a smidge. Torqued it back down and the noise is gone. I have a F2T though, so YMMV.
OneWingedAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-17-13, 12:21   #51 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 2

I think you can rule out the lifters. Way too loud for them. Also rule out the Friction ring on the cam shaft. Same sort of noise but it vanishes when you rev the engine. Your noise is still there. .
kerimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-18-13, 15:41   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdevon3 View Post
Broken half shaft? Got a pic of video? I've never seen one broken and how can you still drive with a broken half shaft? Like a said a month ago you have to remove the upper timing covers and get a look down in there. If you notice a hum recently too then chances are one of your belts is too tight or your alternator is dying. A high pitch whine is a sure sign of a faulty pulley bearing or component that attaches to that pulley whatever that might be. That sound is timing belt or drive belt related. Jiggle all the pulleys you can get your hands on there shouldn't be any movement at all laterally. Spinning is ok just no side to side movement. Gotta get your eyes down there and inspect everything on that side.
yeah, im pretty sure they are called the half shaft, runs from the tranny to the tire, when i had it jacked up it looked as if something was pressed against the boot, and it looked like it had an awkward angle compared to the position of the tire like it was disconnected or broken. ill get a picture when i jack it up, i got time to mess with it today since its in the 50s again.

i forgot about you saying something about the timing belt, ill get a look at that too, as well as the pulleys. i gotta figure this ticking out, its driving me nuts. but if it was drive belt related, wouldnt the ticking still be loud when the car is hot? because i can be driving around for 30 miles or so, and there will be no noise, just a slight tap every now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWingedAngel View Post
Maybe have a look at your exhaust manifold. Mine had a ticking noise that was coming from near the timing belt that got louder with more throttle and ticked faster with more revs. Turns out one of the exhaust mani bolts had worked itself loose a smidge. Torqued it back down and the noise is gone. I have a F2T though, so YMMV.
i actually just had my entire exhaust checked out and serviced a few months back. they said everything was intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerimar View Post
I think you can rule out the lifters. Way too loud for them. Also rule out the Friction ring on the cam shaft. Same sort of noise but it vanishes when you rev the engine. Your noise is still there. .
okay, so apparently its either belt/pulley related, or possibly cracked valve spring retianers? i say this, because after ive drivin my car alot, the ticking noise will be practically gone, just a slight tap every now and again. like the metal is expanding when its hot and "closes" the gap of the crack. but again, ill find out here in a few hours.
Old 2-18-13, 16:26   #53 (permalink)

i gotta tell ya, the timing cover looks like its going to be a B****! lol.
Old 2-18-13, 18:22   #54 (permalink)

Well.... looks like this is going to be quite an involved process. Since im not 100% sure how to do it, im going to study how to do it, then tackle it this weekend. This is my daily and I don't want to take it apart and not be able to get it back together for some reason, because its my ride to work! Lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 2-18-13, 21:39   #55 (permalink)

i also forgot to mention, that when i was pulling on the pulleys for side to side play like djdevon mentioned in a previous post. i noticed my tensioner pulley for the alternator belt had slight play, about 1/8-1/4 inch of play, it was minimal, but noticeable. the belt was still on the car at the time. is that normal? or could it cause a tick like that?
Old 2-19-13, 6:48   #56 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

That's excessive...I don't think a bearing would allow that much play, is your pully tightened down? It's a 17mm bolt in the middle of the tensioner pully that needs to be tightened.

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-19-13, 21:03   #57 (permalink)
  Total: 34 Power: 4

Any play in a pulley is excessive. There should be zero tolerance for pulley play. Remember those pulleys get up to a good amount of RPM's and when they start to wiggle they will only get worse over time and can cause squeaks, squeals, and vibration. If you have a problem with a tensioner I'd say that would fall right in line with the sound as that can create belt slap. That's still a maybe because I've never heard of belt slap that goes away when the car warms up. Same with the tensioner too. Maybe you've got more than one issue making the sound. Who knows, it's all guessing from our side. You gotta get in there and either inspect it all yourself or get someone else to do it. Interested to see how it turns out, let us know.

Last edited by djdevon3; 2-19-13 at 21:10..

djdevon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-20-13, 1:31   #58 (permalink)
I knows sumpthin

Total: 937 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp88 View Post
Someone help me diagnose this tick/tapping noise. It really is annoying and a bit embarrassing lol.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...-34-56_980.mp4

http://static.photobucket.com/player...-49-24_827.mp4

Dunno if it's been said or not, but timing belt tensioner gone = timing belt flapping around and/or cam gear friction spring worn.

Form Follows Function. If it doesn't work, get it the f--- out.
A RaceCar Named Carmen
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] Enkei 17x9 RPF1 [] Toyo R1R [] Hawk HP+ [] Schroth [] Corbeau [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-5-13, 19:21   #59 (permalink)

Hey fellas, a few updates. I know its been awhile. Repairs are coming don't you worry. Bills suck lol.

Regardless, first thing, im ordering a timing belt tensioner, timing belt, intake and throttle body gaskets (So I can install these valve cover gaskets that's been staring me down for a few weeks lol) also a throttle body hose (keep reading to find out why) lol.

Secondly. the rims I posted previously, 2 are bent beyond repair. A rim repair shop near my area looked at them for free and said 2 are scrap metal. Its a shame, but Oh well they were free. After finding that out, I decided to spend a few hours cleaning up the stock aluminium ones. I used a scuff ball that's similar in texture to the little green scotch pads, but the ball attached to my power drill, muahaha!! The difference is amazing. There's some pitting I haven't got to, but I will when warmer weather comes. I live in Ohio, so its in the 50s one week, then it will snow 6 inches the next week....kinda like its supposed to tonight.

Third, with my auto zone 20 dollar gift card I got for my 5th point on my rewards card, and another 20 I had in my wallet. I picked up a spectre cone air filter and connected it straight to the maf sensor (or whatever it is) and made a short ram intake. Gained some throttle response, and a more aggressive tone from the engine after 3k rpms. The negative about it is I cracked the hell out of the plastic intake elbow that runs from the throttle body that created a vacuum leak. I ended up patching it with blue silicone, which is working for the moment until the new one comes in.

Fourth, if anyone has seen pictures of my car, there was terrible rust under the driver side door, and on the trunk. So one day after work I decided to break out the grinding wheel and went to town on whatever rust i could find and took it to bare metal. Then grabbed my leftover fiberglass mesh/resin, bondo putty, sander with 400/800 grit and did a made a makeshift patch job on the trunk and door. Then primed it. Looks alot better, but im no where near done with it. I couldn't stand looking at the rust anymore.

Pictures of before/after of the rims, and body work will be posted soon.

edit* forgot to mention, the gear oil is getting changed this weekend. yes, i shouldve done this when i first bought the car. but, better late than never

Last edited by Kipp88; 3-5-13 at 19:34..
Old 3-5-13, 19:40   #60 (permalink)

when i said soon...i meant now.

rims before *obviously* please note, that all of them looked close to this.

rims after, also note, that they all look like this now lol.

the rust 'n junk.

after.

yes, i know the tape job was terrible, but i was just protecting the tailights from overspray. i wasnt entirely worried lol. ive also touched up on the door and trunk since, but it looks about the same. you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement