Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Name that ticking/tapping noise....

151K views 2K replies 26 participants last post by  friendsofdonr 
#1 ·
#4 ·
i also read about a friction gear or something like that. could that be the cause? i just dont want to tear it down, replace something and the noise still be there.

could i just tear down the top end and fix/replace the things that normally cause ticking noises? thats what i would like to do to be honest. just replace everything so the noise dont come back for awhile. this car runs too dang good to not fix it.

#6 ·
also, lets say i do decide to tear it apart. what parts am i looking at here? i NEED valve cover gaskets hands down (oil in the spark boot hole or whatever its called). but autozone sells a pair for 90.99! good god. i looked on ebay and found these....

93 02 Ford Probe Mazda MX6 626 1 8L 2 5L V6 DOHC KL Valve Cover Gakset Set | eBay

would these work fine? i dont believe 90 dollars is any where reasonable for a set of valve cover gaskets.

also i know ill need a throttle body gasket, intake gasket. what else would i need?

#8 · (Edited)
Sounds like timing belt slap to me. Once you get in there to replace the valve cover gaskets take a good look at the timing belt. Sounds like the tensioner broke and/or one of the idler pulleys is faulty. I don't know how hard it is to remove the upper timing covers on each head but I would do that when making the inspection so you can see better down in there. Unless you're sure that squeak is coming from an alternator pulley or something like that I'd guess the squeak is coming from one of the timing belt components.

Here's a video an I4 owner took of a timing belt cover issue. He thought it was timing belt related but wasn't quite sure.

After driving 2 hours and staying up till 4am helping him fix it here's the result.

Keep in mind this is on an I4 so it sounds a bit different from the V6 to start with. When you hear a rubber on rubber or rubber on metal noise coming from the timing belt area now you know generally what it sounds like. Hopefully that's all it is in your case and not some internal issue. Your issue doesn't sound like metal to metal contact so that's why my guess is timing belt or timing cover related. I've been through it. Let us know how it goes.

#14 ·
#390 ·
Smoke show is good.

Did it to mine didn't kill anything

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD53VGoRHeA

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-ma...1-official-seafoam-cleaning-guide-decarb.html

1/3 in the engine 1/3 in gas 1/3 in brake booster. Blow is all out and enjoy the smoke show. Then go get your oil change done.

I had been using 5/30 for years but found 10/30 runs it smoother. Mileage on your engine will vary as mine is damn low.
WAIT!!!

I just talked with one of my mechanics today about seafoam. I've never used it - just learning about this one. Apparently it works soooo good, that you need to blow it out OPEN EXHAUST method! Take apart the exhaust from the intake manifold (I think) - just be sure the catalytic converter is not hooked up while doing the OPEN EXHAUST method or else big chunks of carbon will get lodged in there and you'll ruin your CAT!

Other than that, yes seafoam is the way to go - but takes more effort!

#15 ·
Smoke show is the best part lol.

But I guess tomorrow I'll get a can of seafoam and do like you said. Then change out my oil with 10w30.

About how long should I drive my car with the seafoam in it? I've read around and people are saying about 100 miles, then change the oil.

#17 ·
Alright thanks. Now if this works out, my next project is both my front lower control arms. I might order these tomorrow off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Control...Model:MX-6&hash=item35c37327fd&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Is this what I need to get? It says it comes with both sides, new ball joint and bushings. For around 70 bucks. Pretty good deal to me.

I'm going to pick up those arms and the valve cover gaskets I mentioned in another post

#21 · (Edited)
i found different links for tie rods....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Inn...r:1994|Model:MX-6&hash=item45f68f632c&vxp=mtr

^inner tie rods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-OUTER-TIE...ar:1994&hash=item4abe924a18&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

outer^^

New Control Arm Kit Front Lower Ford Probe Mazda 626 MX 6 93 94 95 96 97 | eBay

^^control arms

93 02 Ford Probe Mazda MX6 626 1 8L 2 5L V6 DOHC KL Valve Cover Gakset Set | eBay

^^valve cover gaskets

im looking at a little over 120 for everything.

are those parts what im looking for? also, im debating on getting the inners. should i even worry about replacing the inners, and just focus on replacing the outers? or just get everything? lol. how can i inspect the inner/outer ends to verify they need replaced? im just trying to save money if i can.

#25 ·
thanks for the info.

tomorrow when i got some daylight, and it not being 1am lol, ill get it up on jack stands and take a gander.

another question, when i turn the wheel about a turn right or left when im stopped, ill hear a loud popping sound. it doesnt always happen though. when i had the exhaust fixed i asked them to take a look at my suspension. thats when i noticed the bushings on my control arms are shot, which is why im buying new ones. the guy had also told me that my front coil springs were cut towards the bottom and thats where im hearing my popping sound. then on another post i read on this site, it said that the bushings on the control arms was the cause in his case, from where the play in the arms will snap back after the wheel is turned so much one way.

#24 · (Edited)
Update on the ticking.

DSCN0914_zpsa0881600.mp4 video by brotheronk | Photobucket

it was recorded on a different camera. so the quality isnt as good. and it was night time and the camera dont have a light. but regardless you can definitely tell a difference in the sound. the tick is still there. but is alot softer, and comes and goes. i drove around with the seafoam in it about 30ish? miles today. i think ill drive it around another day or so. then change the oil.

also, i started it earlier when the engine was cold (after driving around with the seafoam). the tick was loud like earlier for a about 2 seconds, then quieted down to what it is in the video. put a smile on my face. lol

#26 ·
Could be control arm bushing, maybe the thrust bearing on the strut mounts is bad too. That will surely do it. I say freshen up the control arms, tie rods, and then check your springs. But after that you still get a popping noise when you turn or go over a bump then its probably the thrust bearing. Oh and I'm glad to see another mx6 that is gold like mine :)))

#27 ·
i checked the tie rods earlier today. the boots seem "clean" and intact and there is no play. they seem okay. so i ordered the control arms and valve cover gaskets.

and yeah, i rarely see mx6s anymore, and when i do it surely isnt gold. the last one i recall other than mine around my area was a black primed one. you dont rarely see a gold/champaign color car anymore. let alone a gold mx6 lol.

#29 ·
also, completely off topic. the guy i got this car from gave me these rims to go with it. they are gear r finalspeed 17 inch rims. i was curious if they would fit the car. or if they would rub. i havent had them on the car yet because the tires on them are bad.

the specs on them are

rim size is 17x7
offset 43
and i think bolt pattern is either 5x100 or 5x114.3

#136 ·

the specs on them are

rim size is 17x7
offset 43
and i think bolt pattern is either 5x100 or 5x114.3
these are the rims i was talking about, i had them looked at and two were bent beyond repair. i cannot for the life of me find a dealer for these ANYWHERE. i found a website for the company that produces them, but i cant find a number to contact them and get a price for two of them. id love to be able to complete the set and get them on my car.

if anyone is able to find a contact number, or someone that is possibly selling only two lol. id love to get them lol. its highly unlikely, but ill hope for the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.