What tempurature do your fans kick on? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-25-13, 20:47   #1 (permalink)

Total: 394 Power: 5

What tempurature do your fans kick on?

My 96 mx6's radiator fans (neither side) will not turn on at all until the temp reads 226*. This seems to be a rather high number to me, and now that i live in the desert the summer will be brutal. I want to jump on this now and fix it (if its not working properly, which i highly suspect).

I've read on here that the drivers side fan should kick on low at 210*, and then BOTH fans on high at 226*. Mine will only both come on full blast at 226, which to me seems way too hot.

All this is being read by an aftermarket autometer full sweep gauge so it (should) be extremely accurate. I do not want to wire a power feed line to control them with a manual switch, i want it to be factory if possible.

possibilities ive already considered, but not acted on:

a) i am using a KLG8 computer. I wouldnt assume that its cooling fan temperature settings would be different, but who knows. Do you?

b) One/both of my factory temp sensors are not working properly. I have to slightly doubt this, because both fans are coming on full blast at 226, when they should.

c) If the sensors are the problem, maybe a different make vehicle that uses the KL would have a lower temp switch i could snatch?

Basically im wondering if anyone knows the degree that their fans kick on, any possibilities that could cause/fix my situation, or anyone elses similar problems that have been solved. :spin:

94 Mx6 with a big sway bar. 12.86 @ 116 on an FMU...
Built buy Me, ebay and zip ties.
cf_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-26-13, 12:40   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 181 Power: 5

Both kick in on low speed at 210 F. I have an autometer gauge as well. Check those sensors, fan relay and AC relay.

unamedplaya87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-27-13, 12:32   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 33 Power: 5

The driver side is supposed to kick on at 210F. If you have A/C on, then the passenger side is supposed to always be running. If the temperature climbs to 226F, then both will kick in at full blast.

I had your problem 2 years back and it was my connectors at the fans (the ugly black and yellow ones) that were corroded! Might be a good idea to check those.
poissonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-28-13, 11:32   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

Yeah, I have an obd2 scanner and the fan kicks in at low speed at 212F. Sounds like your low speed fan circuit has something wrong with it. Since your high speed fan kicks in at the right temp according to your research and what poissonn has said, I would say your temp sensor and ecu are probably okay, so it's got to be the wiring/relay or it could be the fan motor itself.

Take a look at the 96 workshop manual section E2-12 to E2-14, it shows what pins to apply power/ground to on the fan harness to test the low and hi speeds on the fan, it also shows how to test the relay. I've attached the relevant pages.
Attached Thumbnails
What tempurature do your fans kick on?-fantest.jpg   What tempurature do your fans kick on?-relaytest.jpg  

1997 MX-6 LS
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement