Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

The Reverse Build Thread!

26K views 171 replies 19 participants last post by  c3o5nnect 
#1 ·
So I decided to jump back into the mx6 game! Since having to give up my car a few years ago and only needing 4 more pieces to finish the Mazdaspeed conversion, it has haunted me ever since leaving the car. This time, however, I have decided to do this in reverse and start buying parts first until I find the perfect red or black mx6 to use to save myself on bodywork as I live in Iowa and rust is a large enemy. So far I have the Yumex Mazdaspeed exhaust which im going to restore up, a set of jspecs that I cleaned up and am putting H3C HID's in, probably 12k, and my mazdaspeed brochure I always wanted but could never find back in the day. Always on the lookout for more parts!

See less See more
#5 ·
Well that's a different way to go about it but it can work. Just a matter of time before an MX-6 pops up in your area. Now that the cars are getting older when owners let them go most times they need a lot of work especially with oil leaks. Lots of oil leaks. Can't wait to see what else you add to your build bin. Those stainless door sills are really nice. I have a pair too just waiting to go on my 626. They are rare though so expect to pay a premium for them.

#6 ·
Newest piece I snagged, the diamond hood emblem!

#8 ·
I just prefer the diamond hood emblems. Makes it harder for people to understand what it is lol.

#10 ·
Most people think its a civic around here, kind of insulting despite my daily driver being a civic lol. My main problem is I have a 78 Pontiac Firebird sitting here as well and found out its a Skybird (someone did a terrible job painting over it) so while I debate on restoring it back as the really rare skybird color code or making it a bandit replica, I will build up a mazdaspeed lol.

#11 ·
Purchased from TwoPedalWarrior, my new JSpec taillights!

#12 · (Edited)
Congrats on the tail lights! The diamond logo (cylon logo) was only available for one year in the US and 2 years in some European countries due to overlap. Since the MX-6 doesn't have a grille like the 626 does you might be interested to know (history lesson) that they still made the 626 grille with the diamond insert but then just started putting the eternal flame logo right on top of it. There's a lot of variations in the 626 for that logo overlap than the MX-6. If you're interested in reading up on it I have a long topic on Mazda Logo History over on the 626 site.
I've also written an article on how and why (from a design standpoint) Mazda logo evolution.

#13 · (Edited)
Someone find me a blue mx6 with a near mint body!!

#14 ·
Code:
Pretty interesting read!

So the next thing on my agenda will be to mildly build a KLZE. Wont say exactly what I'm throwing into this engine but in the next month I will be sourcing out a solid builder!

#17 ·
Very tempting. If it was a manual it would be sold to me already lol

#18 ·
Now that my tail lights are here (thanks for the quick shipping twopedalwarrior!!) I am now going to focus on lighting. Cree bulbs all the way around in the back and 12k HID's up front with cree bulbs in the signals. Actually have a black mx6 lined up to snag this March, I just need to find someone that I can get black interior from and a 93 mx6 black dash as well instead of shipping it from 2 states over!

#19 ·
#21 ·
I had 12k's on my last mx6 and liked that people could identify me lol. Ya I have your hyper flash thread in my bookmarks already lol Amazing how easy of a fix some things are!

I wish someone made re upholstery kits for our cars! My last mx6 I had the European/Japanese interior sent over and I redid it.

#23 ·
If i could convince one of the German sellers to strip the fabric off the seats id make it worth there while lol Anyone have any German connections? lol

#25 ·
Sent you a message via facebook good sir.

#26 ·
Going to go buy a car saturday. Will post up pictures saturday night!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.