Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Rubber/Plastic Seal at Starter Opening to Access Flex Plate Bolts

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  elittleton73 
#1 ·
I hope someone can tell me what the rubber/plastic seal at the starter opening to access the flex plat bolts is called. I'm swapping the engine in my 2.0L 1995 mx6. The seal was very brittle. When I tried to slide it up and out, it broke. I believe it needs to go back in, otherwise there will be an opening where junk could get in. I've check at both the mazda dealership and the local auto parts store and no one seems to know what it is.

Basically this piece is about 1/8" thick x 1" high x 2" long. It is located right behind the starter. It had to be removed to get the bolts off the flex plat. If anyone knows where I could find one too, that would be great.

#3 ·
It isn't in the diagram PaulG. I went to one of the local Ford service stores since the 1995 probe and mx6 are basically the same car. The guy at the counter found a diagram of it quickly. Ford called it the converter housing access plug and the ford part number 7n171. They couldn't get it and I can't find it online. The mazda part number is probably different. I hope this information may help someone on this forum direct me to a website where I can find it or maybe the part number from Mazda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.