door lock sticking - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 3-26-16, 10:50 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Power: 0

door lock sticking

A new problem has come up. After locking the drivers side door, now I have a lot of trouble unlocking it. I turn the key to the left like always, but it won't unlock. I have to fiddle with it and finally it unlocks.

Is this a problem that is going to get worse ? One time it took me about 10 minutes before it finally let the key turn to the left.

I don't think the key is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 3-26-16, 14:34

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Power: 5

have you lubricated the lock at all?

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 3-26-16, 18:02 Thread Starter

Yes, well lubricated. Today I had the drivers side window down, and locked and unlocked many times by hand. Then tried the key, same problem. One of the times the alarm went off. After that, I could unlock the door with the key again easily, just like before.

It seems like something in the alarm setup is catching the key when I try to unlock the locked car. The problem is solved for now, but it may catch again.

As a side note, I understand why the alarm is set up so that if a locked car is unlocked from the inside, the alarm goes off. But that means if you are inside the car and decide to lock it, the only way to prevent the alarm going off is to open the window, stick your key in the door, and unlock it !

Plus it seems to mess up the alarm system after you do that and the alarm goes off. After I did that once, I had all kinds of trouble with the alarm going off by itself when just locking it. I had to go to the method of lock, unlock, lock to prevent the alarm from going off.

Last edited by epxepx; 3-26-16 at 18:07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 4-3-16, 17:09

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Maybe remove the inner door panel, and lubricate the locking mechanism from inside.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 4-13-16, 11:17

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Garage
lubricated? what did you lubricate it with? I really hope you didn't use Lithium grease or WD-40

I've experienced this problem with my probe and my mx6. One saving grace with my mx6 is the alarm. It will unlock the doors with the remote. I can't tell you how many keys I've saved. It will usually involve installing one aftermarket actuator on the drivers door lock (unless your's came with the option) and then any aftermarket alarm system. Problem solved, unless your battery dies.

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/garage.php...ehicle_id=1005
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ld-thread.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 4-14-16, 11:58 Thread Starter

The problem has gone away for now. Are you talking about installing a complete aftermarket system with remote access open and close ? Probably a good idea, but was never real enthused about doing that. The door panel never seems to fit quite the same once it gets removed the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page