Alternator belt question - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 4-8-16, 20:05 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Alternator belt question

I'm curious, does anyone have a guide on how to do this with pictures? I have found some but the pictures are all gone. I just don't know which bolts to loosen/adjust. I'm not good with the terminology of different parts (like through-bolt, tensioner, etc...) I have the Haynes manual but its no help without pictures. I just need pictures to show me what is what I guess lol. It's a 4cyl. mx6. Thankk you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 4-13-16, 11:08

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
if its a 93-97 4cyl, you will need to remove the ac and power steering belt first. Both the Power Steering pump and the Alternator have two bolts that need to be loosened before loosening the tensioner will be of any help. I don't have any pictures.

Let's try and do this from memory!

First disconnect the battery (just in case you tap the terminal on the alternator and a grounded source at the same time)
Loosen the 13/14mm bolt on the bottom of the power steering pump where it attaches to the motor, then loosen (Doesn't need to be removed) the 13mm bolt on the side of the tensioner for the power steering pump. NOW you can loosen the tensioner (13mm I believe) on the power steering pump, that should allow you to remove the accessory belt.

For the Alternator and Water Pump belts you need to loosen the 3 bolts on the alternator (Two on the tensioner and one on the BACK of the alternator). On the back side (Standing at the passenger wheel leaning over the engine, at the bottom right corner of the alternator, where it attaches to the block, there is a 14/15mm bolt that needs to be loosened (Doesn't need to be removed). Then, you can loosen the 12/13mm bolt on the side of the tensioner for the alternator. Once, that is all done loosen the tensioner (12/13mm bolt) in the same fashion as the power steering pump and remove the belt. To install reverse the process.

Hope that is helpful.

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/garage.php...ehicle_id=1005
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ld-thread.html
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 4-18-16, 21:56 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Thanks man, big help! See, what was confusing me was these guides saying I needed a certain size wrench, then when I went to start on it I couldn't fit that wrench on what I thought was the right bolts to loosen, and I was going crazy haha. I guess they make them with different sized bolts or something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page