will camber cause vibration ? - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-27-16, 20:31 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Power: 0

will camber cause vibration ?

My drivers side wheel has had a vibration around 65 mph for some time. Not much.

One time when I had it aligned, it went away. All other times, they can't get rid of it. The toe, camber, and caster all land in the green acceptable level of their computerized alignment charts.

The drivers side camber is at a negative 1.2 however. If I got one of those camber kits, so it could go closer to 0, would that possible get rid of the vibration ? Or am I wasting my time ?

I want the car to feel like new, and with that vibration, it just doesn't feel right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-28-16, 20:47

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Power: 5

I don't know the answer to your question, but I doubt that a small amount of negative camber would cause a vibration. It might be a problem with uneven wear in the tire, or maybe a CV joint? You could try swapping the tire to the other side, and seeing if the vibration follows.

I assume you have had the wheel balanced? Sometimes the weights fall off. And mud inside the wheel rim can also cause a wheel to become unbalanced.

You don't need a camber kit for small adjustments to the camber. Look at the 4 bolts on the strut mount. You will see they are not symmetric around the strut. By jacking up the car, removing the 4 nuts, and rotating the strut mount by 90 or 180 degrees, you can change the camber and caster. Just check to see if both strut mounts are rotated the same way.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-28-16, 22:21 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried every one of those, and the vibration still does not go away (or actually did go away 1 time after an alignment). It must have been perfect.

Now when I get alignments, all 3 items are in the green area on the computer, but the vibration is there.

The only idea I have is that the dust shield came loose a long time ago. I reattached it using some of the muffler cement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-29-16, 12:41

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Power: 3

Could be your cv axle. Does it go away after about 75-80 mph? Ever hear any clicking or popping when making sharp turns? My vibration went away after I changed my axle and wheel bearing. Just giving some input based on my experiences.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-29-16, 16:26 Thread Starter

I had the vibration before. Then got complete new cv axle, wheel bearing, strut, strut mount. Vibration was still there after.

Very disappointing because there is nothing left to change except the hub itself.

But 2 alignments ago, somehow the shop did the alignment and the vibration was gone.

I went back to the same shop about 5 months ago. The alignment was adjusted so all 3 phases were green on the computer. But the same vibration
that was there before came back. It is around 65 to 75 mph, not too much, but definitely noticeable. I don't drive faster than that, so don't know if it
would stop at higher speeds.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-30-16, 12:48
I knows sumpthin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Camber will not cause vibration. -3.6deg and none at all.

Wheel out of balance, bent wheel, bad tire, bad axle, maybe bad bearing or bent hub.

Is the vibration constant, when accelerating, braking or coasting, in or out of gear?
What condition are your tires in?

Form Follows Function. If it doesn't work, get it the f--- out.
A RaceCar Named Carmen
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] Enkei 17x9 RPF1 [] Toyo R1R [] Hawk HP+ [] Schroth [] Corbeau [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-30-16, 13:17 Thread Starter

It starts in the 60 to 65 mph area. It occurs when accelerating and coasting in gear. It is constant. It is a slight vibration, but noticeable.

Tires are in very good condition, almost new.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 4-30-16, 14:27
I knows sumpthin

Does it change on and off the throttle?

A RaceCar Named Carmen
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] Enkei 17x9 RPF1 [] Toyo R1R [] Hawk HP+ [] Schroth [] Corbeau [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 5-4-16, 8:39 Thread Starter

I will have to drive it again to be sure about that. If there is only vibration when throttle is applied, and not when coasting, what does
that mean ?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 5-11-16, 16:26 Thread Starter

I would say the vibration begins right after 60 mph when accelerating. If I coast, it seems like the vibration
goes away, or is much less. It will continue up to about 70 or 75 mph, but doesn't get any worse.

I have looked at and moved those strut mounts around to different bolt holes. It doesn't seem to make any difference.

I guess it was just luck one time when I had an alignment done, and the vibration did go away. It was fine for quite a while. Then one day I went on a bumpy gravel road for a short time, and it came back just like before.

Can the brake dust cover cause this type of thing ?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 5-12-16, 10:06
I knows sumpthin

No.

Vibration that is worse under acceleration is more than likely caused by an axle. Tough part is figuring out which one. Only way to do it is replacing one at a time to see if the vibration goes away. I'd start with the passenger side. Having dealt with them a few times on these cars that one's been the problem 2/3 times.

A RaceCar Named Carmen
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 5-12-16, 11:29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Control arm bushings? The shop would normally let you know if they were shot but they might have missed something.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 5-13-16, 21:18 Thread Starter

Can't be the axle either ! I replaced the cv axle on the drivers side and passenger side.

Any chance a transmission could cause it ? I have the original transmission and the car has 240k miles.

Everything else on the driver side is new, except for the original hub.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 5-13-16, 23:20
I knows sumpthin

You replaced the axle in an attempt to fix the vibration?

If so I have experienced two bad axles in a row.

A RaceCar Named Carmen
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 7-18-16, 14:48 Thread Starter

The vibration has almost gone away completely now. Hard to say what did it, but I put in new stabilizer
links on both sides. Then I greased the areas where the bolt touches the control arms and stabilizer bar.

I can go up to 75 mph or so with no vibration. Also when on a banked road turning left, that gave the worst vibration before, but now that is gone too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page