Tail lights and brake lights refuse to work - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-18-16, 23:46 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Unhappy Tail lights and brake lights refuse to work

I have a '93 MX-6 LS, which is having a significant electronics problem involving the tail lights and brake lights. I've tested the TNS relay and it seems to be working fine because my dash lights and running lights came on just fine, but the tail lights still did not light up after I took the relay out and jumped it. At this point I'm thinking it may just be a short circuit. I've checked the TAIL fuse in the main fuse box and the STOP fuse in the cabin fuse box and both look fine. I haven't even started trying to figure out the brake lights yet, but the spoiler/center light comes on just fine. I'm new to electronics, so when I check for short circuits, how do I go about finding one? What should I be looking for? And while I'm at it, do any of you have any other possible reasons why this problem is happening?
Thanks a million,
-BG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-25-16, 12:56

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
..Just a thought, but have you checked All the rear light bulbs,, the 1157 and 1156's. - I believe they work in conjunction.. so if one is bad..it effects the others. When you turn your directional signal on, does it blink Faster..than say, the other side..?? Left or Right.?? If one side blinks faster than the other, than a bulb is faulty. Change all bulbs on the affected side. That's what Ive discovered in that scenario...!

'Those who dont hear the music think the dancer is mad...'
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=6166.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-29-16, 3:07 Thread Starter

Thanks TJ, I'll look into that, but it seems the blinkers are separate from the brake and tail lights? My right side blinker blinks faster, but that's just because the front blinker is missing (got the car used, after it had gotten in a bit of a bang-up, still waiting on the new light to arrive). I did find a significant issue though that might be my problem, but of course, it isn't an easy fix. After doing some digging behind the carpeting of my trunk, behind my left tail light I found a large unplugged wire that has no apparent place to plug into. I cannot for the life of me find any place to plug this into. It seems to share many of the same colored wires as the ones that are leading from my lights, so I feel like this may be a lead as to what is wrong. Am I going to have to rewire something? I checked the wiring diagrams and it seems like all the lights that aren't working (tail lights, brake lights, licence plate lights) are connected to the same circuit, so it could very possibly be this. Any ideas as to what the next step should be?
Thanks,
-BG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-29-16, 3:08 Thread Starter

Here's the images
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-29-16, 11:22

Garage
I do believe that that plug belongs somewhere. I just checked my '94 and I have no loose plug.
I attached a pic of mine.. I pulled back most of the matting in that corner..and there is a line coming up from under the matting..coming from around the inner wheel well, leading up under the mat and plugging into a plug..which looks like the same as your pic.. right near that white plastic 'grommet' that attaches to the frame. Pull back more of the mat and check for a lead coming from behind..
..?!?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05450.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	8793  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-29-16, 15:42 Thread Starter

No luck. I practically took the matting/carpeting completely out of the trunk and there is just no sign of a place to plug this into. Not even a hint that there ever was one. The plug itself looks like it hasn't been plugged in in years because it has obvious signs of misuse; grime, corrosion, all that good stuff. I have no idea how to wire things or where this wire even should go, so I will keep searching, but at this point it's looking pretty hopeless. I may need someone else to fix this mess.

-BG
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 6-29-16, 15:52 Thread Starter

Also, don't know if this matters at all anymore, but I found out my license plate lights DO in fact work. They were so covered in dirt or grease or something that the light just didn't shine through. So now it's only my brake and tail lights that aren't working.

-BG
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 7-1-16, 13:28

Garage
..Well, that's good that the plate light is working..
Have you changed out All the bulbs.. (xcept headlights.).., front and rear.?
What lights Are working..Now..? And which aren't..?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page