Fuel Pump not receiving signal - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-28-16, 2:55 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Fuel Pump not receiving signal

So my car one morning decided to just not start. 2 weeks prior I had a bunch of engine issues taken care of at a shop (leaving me pretty much broke), and the car ran smoother than ever for those 2 weeks. Now it just cranks but won't fire. First I tested for spark, and it looked just fine to me. Then I noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming with the key in the ignition. I tested the relay and it's fine. I tried to jump the F/P pin to the ground pin in the Diagnosis box and it still doesn't turn on.

I also feel it's unlikely that the fuel pump itself died only right after all the other problems were fixed and that it would die with no warning signs. So what I'm left with is wondering what is supposed to give signal to the fuel pump to turn on? The distributor, cap and rotor, and timing belt tensioner were all replaced at the shop; could it be anything related to this area that is causing the issue? Perhaps the crankshaft position sensor? Wouldn't these affect the spark too though?

I'd take it back to the shop, but I don't think I can afford towing it there and getting another mechanic bill yet (he tried to save me some money on parts, so not everything has warranty). So I figure I can at least try to get to the bottom of the issue and maybe save myself a few bucks.

Disclaimer: I'm very new to this stuff and am just researching like a madman to learn as much as I can about it.

Also, just to rule out the fuel pump as the issue, is there a way I can jump the fuel pump directly from the battery without dropping the whole tank? I don't have proper jackstands yet and also don't want to go through all that work just to find out that I was right about it not being actually being an issue with the fuel pump itself.

Thanks in advance for any input.

TLDR Version: What supplies the fuel pump with signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-28-16, 3:00 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Oh, and it's a KLDE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List