LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-1-16, 17:00 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 0

TNS relay location quest !!!

Hi,

On my 1993 16V MX6, my small lamps (parking lights + dashboard light + license light) doesn't work anymore. I take the tension at the TAIL fuze, there is 0v when the park light switch is off and 12v when it is on. So I think it's not the switch but probably the TNS relay. And I can't verify it since I don't find it in the car !!!

The TNS is not in the fuze box (it seems that it is between horn relay and EGI main relay in some 1993 models, but not mine) :

There are 4 others relays in the motor bay.

A big one under the fuze box :

Two at the left of the fuze box :

These seems to be for the fans.

And one at the left of the motor bay :

Neither of these seems to be the TNS relay !

According to some wiring diagrams (the Haynes one), the TNS relay has one green cable, two White/Blue and an orange one. On my tail fuze, the 12v comes by a White/Blue cable :

so I think that Haynes wiring diagram is closer to my car than the Chiltons one (four orange cables for the TNS relay !).

I looked everywhere in the engine bay, but I didn't find another relay. Il look also around the interior fuze box but didn't found it.

Does someone know where is the TNS or small lamps relay on a 1993 2L 16V MX6 ? By the way I didn't either saw the Headlight relay !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-2-16, 18:26

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Power: 5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton View Post
Hi,

On my 1993 16V MX6, my small lamps (parking lights + dashboard light + license light) doesn't work anymore. I take the tension at the TAIL fuze, there is 0v when the park light switch is off and 12v when it is on. So I think it's not the switch but probably the TNS relay. And I can't verify it since I don't find it in the car !!!

The TNS is not in the fuze box (it seems that it is between horn relay and EGI main relay in some 1993 models, but not mine) :

There are 4 others relays in the motor bay.

A big one under the fuze box :

Two at the left of the fuze box :

These seems to be for the fans.

And one at the left of the motor bay :

Neither of these seems to be the TNS relay !

According to some wiring diagrams (the Haynes one), the TNS relay has one green cable, two White/Blue and an orange one. On my tail fuze, the 12v comes by a White/Blue cable :

so I think that Haynes wiring diagram is closer to my car than the Chiltons one (four orange cables for the TNS relay !).

I looked everywhere in the engine bay, but I didn't find another relay. Il look also around the interior fuze box but didn't found it.

Does someone know where is the TNS or small lamps relay on a 1993 2L 16V MX6 ? By the way I didn't either saw the Headlight relay !

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...-location.html (TNS relay location(?))

IF I recall correctly my 93 2.0l mx6 doesnt have a tns. I do know when my tail light fuse blew my dash lights would not work. It appears you've checked that considering the "12v comes by a White/Blue cable" comment.

My 93 had two relays at the fuse box, and two under or near the passenger side headlight. I know one of those is for the blower and heater system in the car because I stashed them under the passenger (Right) side at one time and couldn't figure out why I couldnt find the relays. I'd check all four of those relays and then take it from there. I don't believe we have a tns to rule out.

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
http://www.mx6.com/forums/garage.php...ehicle_id=1005
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...ld-thread.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-2-16, 18:29

Garage
you're also going to want to host your images on a different site, or use a different web address if you want your images to show up.

I am starting to get a laundry list of stuff done to my car. Does that make it fast? No! Does that mean i spent too much money on a toy? Maybe. Do i have fun every time i jump in my car and drive? Hell yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-7-16, 14:34 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 0

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. In the meanwhile (between my post and it's validation) I found exactly what you answer : there is no TNS relay on 1993 2L MX6 without airbag (there is one when there is an airbag).

Three days ago, I found a Mazda wiring diagram book for my MX6 1993 french model. Here is the diagram with my observations :

I'm turning mad like when it does not work :
1) there is 12v at the tail fuze (with combination switch park lights or headlights on), so I thank that the combination switch is ok ;
2) if I put 12v at the tail fuze, all lights switch light on, this proves that all the wiring after the TAIL fuze are ok ;
3) headlights works if the combination switch is on headlights position, this proves that all the wirings before the combination switch is ok since the +12v for headlights is on the same connector on the combination switch ;
4) all other electric equipments which are after the BTN fuze works, so wiring before the BTN fuze is ok (this is also proved by the third point).

So, I don't understand how there can be 12v at the tail fuze and the lights didn't works. The only explanation I'm able to imagine is that the combination switch works but sometime (when the lights don't light on) shows some resistance which reduce the intensity in a manner that there is not enough power to light on the bulbs. I have to find a working ammeter to check that. Do you think it's possible ?

Quote:
you're also going to want to host your images on a different site, or use a different web address if you want your images to show up.
I didn't understand this. Do you mean that there is a problem with the domain name where my pictures are hosted ? I choose this one since I know that pictures will be online for a long time (no limit). Is there a problem with this ? Or is there another problem ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-16, 10:36

Garage
Pictures work great now!

Have you checked the ground? Seems rudimentary, but if there's 12v, then I'd check ground. If there's ground, then bulbs. Its either that or the brake switch, if it's only brakes and not brakes and running lights.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page