96 mx6 v6 5speed jerking and misfire problems - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-16, 0:00 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

96 mx6 v6 5speed jerking and misfire problems

Hello all, this car has got me stomped. I hope yall can help.

About 10 thousand miles ago I replaced the timing belt (old timing broke), timing belt tensioner, and water pump. I had it timed at 10 degrees BTDC. Ran smoothly with no problems.
It all started when I was driving home from school when I noticed it was sluggish upon acceleration and then check engine light came on. I got home, parked it and while idling, I pull the spark plugs wires one by one and cylinder 2 never bogged down after pulling the spark plug wire out. So I went to autozone to verify the check engine light and sure enough it was throwing code P0302 cylinder 2 misfire (scan gun and computer system suggest fuel injector was intermittently working and to replace the injector.) I bought a working one off of ebay for $30 bucks and installed it. Reset the code and the code went away but misfire persisted. I thought maybe a bad distributor since it was under lifetime warranty, I went ahead and exchanged it for a new one. Misfire and sluggish acceleration persisted. Check engine came on again, so I drove it to autozone and on the way there it started jerked about 2-3 times, everytime it jerked I would hit the clutch, throw it in neutral and just let it coast. As soon as I put it into gear and give it some gas it would start to jerk again. Got to autozone, this time the code it was throwing was P1345 Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. I went home and parked the car while idling, the saw that the harmonic balancer was wobbling. I turned off the car and unbolted the harmonic balancer. Sure enough, the harmonic balancer was starting to seperate. I bought a new one and installed it. Still the misfire and jerking persisted. I tested my crankshaft position sensor early in the morning and it was reading 560 ohms. I went to pick and pull and pulled one off of a 96+ mazda millenia v6 which was testing 573 ohms before I pulled it at the junkyard. Installed it, no change. I bought new ngk v-power spark plugs gapped at 0.040 and replaced all new sparkplug wires and the misfire and jerking still persists. I checked vacuum lines, wiggled and shook all vacuum lines to no change in idle. I jumped TEN and GND. Aimed timing light at crank and it is at about 14 or 16 degrees. I tried turning the distributor clockwise but everytime I do, the car stalls.

The symptoms:

It idles fines, no bogging or rough idle.
If I press and level the gas while in neutral, there is a erratic spike and misfire.
If I press on the gas to rev the engine, there is still a misfire happening.
When driving car jerks to the point where I can even accelerate. Even softly applying gas, it would jerk and misfire.

My thoughts:

Maybe timing jumped out of place?
EGR valve, need cleaning?
Clogged cat?

I got exams and finals coming up, so I will work on the car when I have time until then, any advice would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-16, 13:30 Thread Starter

Video of the problem I am having.

https://youtu.be/gj3kEyoSkco
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-16, 23:55

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Hiya, damn you've been a member for a long time.

Ok I've seen similar issues where when the DE is not running well a couple of parts will fail. I would urge you to swap the dizzy again, the autozone ones are well know in the forums and FB to fail fast and frequently. Some members had to go through 3 of them till they got a proper working one.

It sounds like you've found some other issues and fixed them. Alternatively, you could do the HEI mod?

1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
What have I done to it? Stuff... What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-1-16, 23:38 Thread Starter

Yea, I've been a member for awhile now and only come on when I had issues with the MX-6. It must of been a good couple of years since I logged on. The car was misfiring when I changed out the fuel injector and after. It was still misfiring before I changed out the distributor for a new one but I wanted to make sure it wasn't the distributor. The new distributor has like 2 miles on it. LOL I literally drove it to Autozone and back to get the check engine light code pulled. All this work was done in a span of like 3 days of working on it. I have not drove it since driving it back from Autozone. The jerking and misfiring seemed worser than it was after driving it back from Autozone. The last time I cranked it up was to record and upload the video I posted. I do have the gmc relay needed to do the HEI mod. I still need to take off the timing belt cover and check to see if timing are lined up. I hope it is the just a failing timing belt tensioner that threw off timing since timing is sitting at 16 degree on the left side of 10 BTC...that would be an easy fix. I did replace the tensioner and belt when I did the timing awhile back. With ten and gnd jumped timing is sitting at the 4th dot to the left of 10 BTC is that 16 or 18 degrees? I can turn distributor counter clockwise I think to the max without timing changing much at all....I can bring it back to its original position and try to turn it clockwise and the car would stall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page