96 mx6 jerking/dying issues - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-7-17, 15:00 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

96 mx6 jerking/dying issues

hi, i just bought this 96 Mazda Mx6 it ran great the first couple of days. Now when i'm at a cruising speed regardless of gear or speed anywhere from 10-70 mph. it'll jerk when im trying to cruise, and it'll die when i shift to neutral almost instantly, some times it runs in idle perfectly fine, other times it'll run rough bouncing between 0-1000 rpms then die

I've rode in this car for 3 years it ran great and fine, guy sells it to me and i drive it for 48 hours and apparently mess everything up. i am new to a stick so that may have been my issue

for example i'll be going down a hill so i switch to neutral to coast to the light and it'll die almost instantly. A couple of times I've tried neutral then quickly to first while keeping the clutch down but it'll still die

any help on fixing this issue is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-7-17, 19:29

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 5

I don't think you being new to driving stick would be causing this. Is the check engine light on? Maybe a vacuum leak?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-7-17, 22:40 Thread Starter

yes the check engine light was on he said it had been on for a little while just hasn't figured it out yet.

altho right when its about to die the check light goes off the rpms will go for 0-1000 then die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-8-17, 6:09

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

From what I know, a bouncing idle is likely a fuel issue. Either the fuel is not being delivered adequately, or the engine control module keeps getting different signals, and changes the amount of fuel being delivered.

What is the code on the check engine light ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-9-17, 22:53

I have experienced this before, it is is your distributor my 96 had the same problem and finally it would not start. You must have seen signs that your rpm must have dropped at random at idle.
My advice buy from the dealer even if its a reman. I bought the beck/Arnley aftermarket and it gave the same problem but at high rpms.
The distributor from the dealer is spec'd right for our car and no problems since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page