LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-23-17, 10:14 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Front Shock/Strut Popping Noise

Hello Everyone,

Posted the other day that I recently was given a 94 mazda mx6 from my aunt. I noticed a popping noise coming from the wheel wells on both sides. Both CV joints, outer, and inner tie rods were replace by the dealership within the last 10,000 miles. I jacked the front of the car up so both wheels were off the ground and had a friend turn the wheel as I inspected it. I noticed that it was coming from both shocks, looked like the circle rubber piece at the very top was spinning as the wheels turned and popping. Any idea what I need to replace or fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-23-17, 22:52

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Power: 3

Garage
Possibly the upper strut mount bearing. I've never had them pop but it sounds like that is what's happening. The bearing allows the strut to rotate at the top when the wheel is turned.The odds of It happening on both sides at the same time are low.
Good luck. I've had a few suspension hi hiccups on my 1gen as well. Just remember metal transfers sound very well. It can be tricky determining the true source of the sound sometimes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-24-17, 10:41

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

If you turn the steering wheel back and forth, and you get some resistance that comes and goes, and kind of like a hammering sound, that is usually those bearings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2-28-17, 18:20

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Power: 5

Yep, probably strut mount bearings, or maybe the strut mounts themselves. The bearings are cheap, the mounts more expensive, but replacing either is a PITA, since you need to remove the struts, get a spring compressor to take it all apart.

But make sure it's not the ball joints (though probably not, from your description).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 3-2-17, 9:47

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I replaced all 4 struts and strut mounts. As long as you get the proper tools, and have the time, the job is not hard. Plenty of space to work, not like when trying to do a lot of things to the engine, and don't have to get underneath the car.

Big savings too. A guy who parks next to me mentioned it cost him over 1,000 for a shop to do it. You can get all the parts, now for maybe 250 to 300.

It's one of the jobs that give an older car a new car feel. New brake rotors also do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page