Clutch Replacement Dilemma - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-28-17, 17:28 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power: 5

Clutch Replacement Dilemma

Anyone change a clutch on a MX6 LS 93-96 ??? Got everything taken off but, for some reason the transaxle case will not come all the way off. Tried using a screw driver to help pry but, have only separated the transaxle about 3/4" inch from engine. Are they typically a pain in the *ss to remove meaning that it needs to be wedged off??? The reason I am replacing the clutch is by because clutch was squealing with the clutch pedal pushed in and RPMS dropped sometimes to the point of Killing the vehicle. I believe the cause is a bad throw out bearing. Anyhow please help!!! How do i separate the transaxle to access the clutch assembly?? It acts it's binding on the splined shaft. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2-28-17, 18:25

I've never done it, but this thread may help: https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?t=1701166624
(It's for the Ford Probe, but is mechanically almost identical.)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-1-17, 15:09 Thread Starter

Yes i saw that post. Thank you but, it doesn't get into detail if the transaxle won't free up. Just says use a wedge or screw driver for a stubborn contestant. I did not take the starter off which that post didn't say you had to do for the 2.5L V6. I'm just wondering if the starter not being unbolted may be why it won't come off all the way or the throw out bearing is binding up somehow????. In anyone with ideas it would be much appreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-1-17, 15:58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleshotmocha View Post
Yes i saw that post. Thank you but, it doesn't get into detail if the transaxle won't free up. Just says use a wedge or screw driver for a stubborn contestant. I did not take the starter off which that post didn't say you had to do for the 2.5L V6. I'm just wondering if the starter not being unbolted may be why it won't come off all the way or the throw out bearing is binding up somehow????. In anyone with ideas it would be much appreciated!!!!
Remove the starter.

“One thing I’ve noticed over the years is that if you drive into London at 6am, half of the cars on the roads are Porsches and Astons. Whereas if you go in at ten to nine, they’re all Renaults. Simple solution, then. You want a nice car? Get up earlier and do more work.”

— Jeremy Clarkson
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-2-17, 18:42 Thread Starter

No luck with removing the starter. Wooden wedges maybe ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-2-17, 22:30 Thread Starter

The throw out bearing was making a bunch of squealing noise when pushing in the clutch. Does anyone think that the throw out bearing may be binding? If so what would be the remedy? I believe it's the original clutch. 275,000 on this little jewel. Come on experts help me out. Please!!!!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-3-17, 13:16 Thread Starter

The article said I should have to take the passenger drive axle apart which is still in the transaxle casing. It suppose to slide out is that correct or should it be pulled out of the transaxle too?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-6-17, 15:34 Thread Starter

Clutch nightmare!! !

In the middle of a clutch replacement on my 94 MX6 LS and stumped. All bolts and wiring are free but, the Transmission casing won't separate completely from engine. Currently it's about 1/4" spaced from the engine and won't slide off. I'm wondering if the input shaft is binding on on the pilot bearing or the clutch plate. I've tried prying it out, using a rubber mallet and wooden wedges but won't budge any further. This is a royal PITA. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get this stubborn contestant off????
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 3-6-17, 17:41

Sorry I can't help you. Maybe try asking on ProbeTalk, to see if anyone there might know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page