Power Steering run dry - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1-21-03, 16:43   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Power Steering run dry

Hey guys, is it bad to drive with no power steering fluid. I have a leaky pump, and in the mean time should i keep filling it or let it run dry? It is noisier when it has fluid. so I would prefer to struggle with no power steering then the wasted money and loud ass car.
sarge1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1-21-03, 18:27   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 42 Power: 5

your f***ing kidding me right? the power steering pump is turning and pumping fluid into the steering rack allowing you to turn with ease. two things will happen if you let your fluid run dry.
1. the steering will become very tight like when you try to turn your wheel when the car is off.
2. and the pump will start making whirring noises until it seizes and you need a new pump. very costly! which leads to problem 1. (see above)

now get the leak fixed or continue adding fluid everyday. your choice

Farewell to the Mx6...The memories will last forever.
MazdaMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-21-03, 20:56   #3 (permalink)

jees....i dont know who you are talking to, but its actually better to drive your car with no power steering fluid at all!! Never ever put any in....its fun, and gets you on the edge of your seat
brandonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-03, 11:46   #4 (permalink)

serious

serious? I don't think it's hurting it. i already have another pump, so in the interim i figure I 'll run dry.

sarge
Old 1-22-03, 12:51   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 5005 Power: 6

if youre intent on running it dry... go ahead.. but like others have mentioned.. why? if its a working part.. why break it? i understand you have a replacement part for it.

also why is it noisier when you put fluid in? what kind of fluid is it? they topped my car off with regular clear PS fluid once and the system made a crapload of noise.. i had to flush it and put regular ol red atf in it to get it quiet again.. also if theres air in the system (ie you let it run dry then refill it quickly) it will make noise.

either way, good luck.. but i dont understand the point...

94 mx6 - you name it - I did it, came up with it, tried it and rejected it or just plain still have it. **Now in the caring hands of Chef**
93 mx3 - klze, i/h/e, rims and paint.. **FS - on a lift, has an engine, just need to put them together. I have no time. come buy it cheap.
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with bolt ons, lifted, locked. 32x10.5 Goodyear MTR winter/ 30x9.5 bfg ta/ko summer. Custom steel bumpers + armor. "the beast"
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with every bolt on + tune. My street jeep. small tires, but runs 13's
Goatcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-22-03, 14:35   #6 (permalink)

it's not

it's not a working part. either the seal or the pump itself is pissing out fluid.

so I don't want to waste my time filling it up. Are you sure it won't harm the steering or any parts besides the pump.

sarge
Old 1-22-03, 16:37   #7 (permalink)

what the f are you saying brandon?!? i hope you are sarcastic. sarge, get the leak fixed or do whatever you need to to stop the leak. you will regret it if you dont.

Old 1-22-03, 17:05   #8 (permalink)

???

It will hurt something? can i go a few days???
Old 1-22-03, 17:10   #9 (permalink)

sarge, i am not sure if you are serious or screwing around now. i am not calling you stupid but there is a reason the fluid is in there from the factory. so read my posts above and get it fixed. i am not helping you out anymore if you dont use common sense.

am i wrong in saying this Goatcrapp?

Old 1-22-03, 17:47   #10 (permalink)

dude....

Common sense or not. Power steering is a luxury or an option. Yes it is on all new cars but it's not life blood. There isn't high wear on your column. I just wanted to know if you ran it dry, is it the same as having no power steering. Or is it harmful. So far all you've done is say "listen to me..."You haven't explained yourself. I am serious, personally I have more entertaining things to joke about. I understand where your coming from, but, I was just asking for mechanical advice not shots at my sense. If you can explain what will happen then I sincerly thank you in advance, if not...well I think your in the same boat as I am. My common sense led me to ask the question didn't it? I digress

sarge
Old 1-26-03, 17:20   #11 (permalink)

ok, did you read my first post?
Quote:
two things will happen if you let your fluid run dry.
1. the steering will become very tight like when you try to turn your wheel when the car is off.
2. and the pump will start making whirring noises until it seizes and you need a new pump. very costly! which leads to problem 1. (see above)
this is what will happen if you run your fluid dry. and yes it will be like having no power steering.

Old 1-26-03, 20:37   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 5

Like having no power steering, except that when you turn the wheel, you'll still be turning the pump with your own muscle power--not quite like having a direct manual steering rack/pinion...

1996 mtx black pgt.
∞ ∞ ∞∞ ∞∞∞ ∞∞∞∞∞
13.0.0.0.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement