Smoke coming from the left rear tire? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-03, 14:06   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Smoke coming from the left rear tire?

I was just driving my car (in a parking lot no less) and I noticed there was smoke coming from the left side rear tire. I immediatley parked it and got out to have a look. I couldn't see anything hot or burning, but it smelt like something was definitley burning. I drove it back home and it didn't smoke as much but I still smelt something burning. The wheel was also hot as all hell so I couldn't take it off to have a look. I'm letting it cool down right now, but anyone ever have this problem or know what it could be?

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS V6 w/ custom glasspack exhaust, akimoto intake, high performance wires, Ractive rear strut bar, brushed alum. dash kit, ehh thats about it.

Go Canes!!
allworldkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-03, 14:15   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 29 Power: 5

sounds like your brake... check that out.

CRiZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-03, 14:18   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 25 Power: 5

Its hard to say what went wrong but the way you explained (being 1 side) it sounds like your brake siezed.

-=[BL/\DES]=-
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-03, 14:53   #4 (permalink)

yeah i figured it was brake related. Perhaps the ebrake got stock on this side? If it is the brake that seized is there anyway to fix that with out taking the brake off?

1993 Mazda MX-6 LS V6 w/ custom glasspack exhaust, akimoto intake, high performance wires, Ractive rear strut bar, brushed alum. dash kit, ehh thats about it.

Go Canes!!
Old 10-26-03, 15:33   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

Your caliper locked up (notorious problem on 93-95 models.) Get both the rear ones replaced while you're having the work done. You should really get the discs resurfaced too, especially if that calipers been grinding one down. Good luck.

Rabbit

Life is like a present. You can't get to the good stuff without ****ing up the wrapping paper.

www.trilamb.org
http://www.geocities.com/sas_12/frontpage.html
mazdarabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 0:14   #6 (permalink)

just an update, I just drove my car around to see if the problem was still there and I noticed nothing abnormal. I played with the ebrake (engaged it, disengaged it repeatedly) and I now I noticed nothing weird. Could that have been the problem, the ebrake just sticking, or is more likely something with the calipers? If it happens again I'll defitley have the problem looked at.

Go Canes!!
Old 10-27-03, 5:34   #7 (permalink)

Dude its the caliper seizing, I'm sinking in the same boat you are but my car is getting put away next week. Get your calipers replaced because you think it won't happen again but you e-brake will stick to caliper again and you will get stuck somewhere like me. Don't use your e-brake again until you can get it fixed, but I gaurentee you that it will happen again and you will be replacing more parts than just a caliper, like me.

Jon

By the way the smoke was your burning brake pads so they will prob have to be replaced too.

Last edited by JonnyO103; 10-27-03 at 5:37..

93 MX6/Ls 60k
92 MX3 140k
JonnyO103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-03, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
kzoo
Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to speak?

I found the site mention about it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy...obemx/p_p1.htm

Could I get warrenty fix from Mazda? or do I pay them in US?
Old 10-27-03, 23:21   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 5005 Power: 6

Quote:
Originally posted by allworldkj
just an update, I just drove my car around to see if the problem was still there and I noticed nothing abnormal. I played with the ebrake (engaged it, disengaged it repeatedly) and I now I noticed nothing weird. Could that have been the problem, the ebrake just sticking, or is more likely something with the calipers? If it happens again I'll defitley have the problem looked at.
sometimes they sieze (usually one side or the other, rarely both at the same time) and then work themselves loose again after cooling down.

get under there and use wd40 (a lot) to "rinse out" whatever hinging surfaces you can get to, then grease it all with white lithium. mine has been fine for 6 months like this

i had replaced mine twice with rebuilds and quite frankly can't be bothered anymore (i never seem to get the updated design even though i specify it)

so i carry a hammer and liquid wrench in my tool box in the trunk.. a few quick taps with the hammer seems to be all it needs to release if it sticks again.

94 mx6 - you name it - I did it, came up with it, tried it and rejected it or just plain still have it. **Now in the caring hands of Chef**
93 mx3 - klze, i/h/e, rims and paint.. **FS - on a lift, has an engine, just need to put them together. I have no time. come buy it cheap.
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with bolt ons, lifted, locked. 32x10.5 Goodyear MTR winter/ 30x9.5 bfg ta/ko summer. Custom steel bumpers + armor. "the beast"
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with every bolt on + tune. My street jeep. small tires, but runs 13's
Goatcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-03, 16:09   #10 (permalink)

i had my calipers replaced about a year ago. The whole rear brake was essentially new and has about 20 thousand miles on it.
I shouldn't have to replace them again.
Should it be seizing even though its fairly new? Any other way to get this fixed other than tapping it witha hammer when it locks up?

Go Canes!!
Old 10-29-03, 17:38   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 953 Power: 5

Nope, no other good way to fix it other than what Goat mentioned.

If they are seizing already, prolly a lousy rebuild.
-Garrett

Wikipedia is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG) in which participants play editors of a hypothetical online encyclopedia, where they try to insert misinformation that they are randomly assigned when they create their accounts, while preventing contrary information from being entered by others. Players with similar misinformation to promote will generally form "guilds" in order to aid each other.
skiingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-03, 0:56   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

re you sure they did the whole rear brakes? Not just discs, shoes, pads shims etc?? Take a look at the invoice and check. It really does sound like your calipers seized up.

Rabbit

Life is like a present. You can't get to the good stuff without ****ing up the wrapping paper.

www.trilamb.org
http://www.geocities.com/sas_12/frontpage.html
mazdarabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-03, 16:04   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 88 Power: 5

I had this problem about 6 - 8 months ago, with both calipers seizing...I tried greasing it and using penatrating oil but it kept seizing. I replaced both rear calipers w/ 1996 calipers and have not had this problem since.

The 96 calipers I received were different than the 93 - 95 calipers I have seen... They have this blue plastic tube-like protrusion that the stock ones and this other 94 at the shop didnt have.

The rythm is gonna get me!
98 ToreAss SE

NonCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-03, 3:02   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mazdarabbit
re you sure they did the whole rear brakes? Not just discs, shoes, pads shims etc?? Take a look at the invoice and check. It really does sound like your calipers seized up.

Rabbit
yeah the whole rear brakes are essentially new (less than a year old).
but i had the same problem tonight, I couldn't even back up my car. is there anything that can fix this other than replacing the calipers again? its really a pain in the ass.

Go Canes!!
Old 10-31-03, 3:02   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 5005 Power: 6

i've had "newly remanned" calipers go within the same summer.

lol

the only other thing to check perhaps is the rear proportioning valve? perhaps too much pressure is bleeding to the back brakes, forcing their "open" setting to have been reduced, to a rubbing?

94 mx6 - you name it - I did it, came up with it, tried it and rejected it or just plain still have it. **Now in the caring hands of Chef**
93 mx3 - klze, i/h/e, rims and paint.. **FS - on a lift, has an engine, just need to put them together. I have no time. come buy it cheap.
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with bolt ons, lifted, locked. 32x10.5 Goodyear MTR winter/ 30x9.5 bfg ta/ko summer. Custom steel bumpers + armor. "the beast"
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with every bolt on + tune. My street jeep. small tires, but runs 13's
Goatcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement