Power window just stop working. Need ideas to close the windows - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-10-04, 17:58 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Angry Power window just stop working. Need ideas to close the windows

Hi,
I need to some quick tips on how to roll up my windows. My power windows on my 96 LS just stopped working.

No sound, and I checked the fuse for the power window and it was ok. I even switched them with the other 30A fuses to see if that made any difference.

I am at work during the middle of the day, so my poor car is just sitting there in the parking lot helpless.... I don't have the tools to open the sides of the doors to move them up.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-10-04, 18:30

Just off the top of my head but it could be the driver's side master switch

Jason/Otis/Jay/Heidt Whatever you wanna call me. 93 Maroon LS
2002 Chevrolet Crew Cab 1500HD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-10-04, 18:35 Thread Starter

Where is this master switch? Is in the same fuse box as the other fuses on the drivers side? Any pictures?

Could the problem be somewhere else? Like something loose somewhere?

Calvin
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-10-04, 23:19

I hooked mine up to a nine volt battery a long time ago cut the ground off the switch and the up power. I know this require the removal of the door panel but it's the only thing I could come up with for the time!

1993 Mazda Mx6 LS, MTX! KLZE, black on black, 245/45/17's, stage 2 clutch, fidanza flywheel, borla, j-spec's with black bezel, Ground controls, GR2's,
UP COMING: Rollcage (hopefully), hid's with valeo projectors, handling components.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-11-04, 0:44

This happned to me, Your drivers side window switch needs a thurough cleaning.. However I broke my switch trying to clean it so I had to short the window back up from the plugin for the windows..

I found the orginal post, It should get your windows back up, if you have any questions just ask me.. Here is my original post from my old username (i forgot the password for that username)

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread...threadid=21697 (Need Wireing Assistance)

Retired MX6er - aka ryanh & nayr
Silver 01 VW GTI 2.8T - NEW!
Silver 93 MX6-LS MTX - SOLD

Green 93 MX6-RS MTX - R.I.P.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-11-04, 1:27 Thread Starter

Thanks, I will give it a try. Basically you are suggesting to reconnect the wires to see if that helps right?

Calvin
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-11-04, 2:06

ok, let me clairify.. Check your fuses on the outside wall under the drivers side dash.. if those are all fine the most likely reason your window wont roll up is because the connections inside the switch its self may be dirty or coroded and hence preventing thie switch from working.. This is very common for 2nd gen MX6's.

If your window is currently stuck down and you need to get it up you can bypass the switch completly..

Remove your door panel, when you do this you will have to unplug the switch from the door panel..

The plug looks something like this if you look down into it:

1 - 2 - - - 3
4 - - - 5 - 6

each one of those numbers are a specific hole in the plug, the wires for these plugs should be:

1 - red / blue
2 - black
3 - white / yellow
4 - green / blue
5 - green / white
6 - black / red

ok, now here is the trick.. get something that is metal and that can stick into that plug.. I used sewing needles but saftey pins or paperclips should work.. if you jump (short) the right pins you can roll up and down the windows.. To roll up the drivers side window you will have jump 1 & 2 together and then 4 & 6 together..

Good Luck!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-11-04, 11:13

What ever you do don't use pliers to pull it up. One of my brillant frinds got this idea when his stopped working and he took a chunk off the top of his window...not only was that bad enough he had to in anger kick the rest of the window out...I tell him he has anger issues.Later

www.cardomain.com/id/dhumps

"Sippin' on gin and juice...Laid back...with my mind on my 6 and no money to fix."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-11-04, 14:10

Disassembled switch pic's?

Mine stopped a little while back because of a bad connection. I used a can or CRC Electrical connection cleaner. It is a aerosol spray can about the size of a spray paint can. This solved the problem for me until a plastic piece inside my switch broke. Just make sure you disconnect the switch and let it dry a little while. It uses ether so it dries fairly fast.
I was going to post a write up on how to disassemble the switch in the projects section, but was waiting until the new system is up and running.
I have pictures of the switch disassembled if you would like some idea of how it is put together. Taking the switch apart is a little tricky and not as easy as it looks. I broke the electrical board when I was taking mine apart and spent some time soldering the connections back together. If you want me to send you the pic's just let me know.
-Jesse
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-12-04, 0:48

Be careful if you take apart the power window assembly, though -- there are several little springs that will pop out when you open it if you don't open it absolutely perfect... which you won't. You'll have no idea where they go.

My assembly in my 94LS died a few months back. Went to a junkyard and got a new one for under fifty bucks. Easy to install yourself. In the meantime, I did the whole "tape a clear piece of plastic to the hole and hope it doesn't rain too hard" trick.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-12-04, 12:41 Thread Starter

Thanks, is there a tutorials/guides to open the door, and parts properly?

I am going to try to work on it this weekend.

Calvin
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-12-04, 16:59

To take the drivers side door pannel off is super easy..

There is a screw on the front part of the door, really easy to find.. on the back end of the door is a plug you have to remove.. (pull out on the middle part of the plug then yank the entire plug out) Then there is a small screw behind the door handle on the inside, remove this screw then pull the door handle like you are opening the door and slip the plastic cover arround the handle.. once you have all 3 screws out (dont loose em), take your fingers and stick them between the pannel and the rubber seal.. Now give a good yank and you should hear the plastic snaps pop off, these snaps are about ever 4 inches all allong the sides and bottom of the door pannel, pop all these snaps apart.
Now the door should be almost off and kind of dangling, lift up on the door and the top will come undone from arround the window. Now the only thing keeping you from setting the door aside is all the cables connected to the pannel.. reach behind and unplug 3 sets of cables.. The power window plugin, the power mirrors plugin, and a pair of thin wires for the light on the door. Once unplugged your pannel should be completly seperated from the door.

To reassable just do everything in the reverse order, you will have to smack the pannel a few times to get all the snaps to re-attach them selves.. If these arent secured properly then when you go to close your door you could rip the pannel off the door.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-12-04, 19:51

Before you pull your door apart, I have two questions:
1-Does the passenger window work?
2-Do your power mirrors work?

The reason I ask is that one of my windows got stuck and I couldn't figure it out. Two weeks before that happened my p.mirrors stopped working also. The problem in my car was that there was a short somewhere in my door and I ended up having to replace the entire wire harness in the drivers door which solved all my problems. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.redlinegoods.com/cgi-bin/...1&aid=195&p=34

Words should be a little wild,
For they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2-12-04, 19:57 Thread Starter

In my case, both power side mirrors work and controllable from the drivers side.

The passengers window does work when pressing the button on the passengers door.

Thanks,
Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page