Proper Offset For Rims! - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-18-04, 22:37 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Proper Offset For Rims!

I'm not so sure the importance of offset but a lot of other makes of car's really care about their offset's. With that said what is our proper offset for rims? And does it differ from the diameter of the rim? Which I have a set of 17's right now but I'm getting rid of them for some different 17's. But proper offset's for 15's-18's would be cool if somebody knows?

Thanks

-scot-

1993 Mazda Mx6 LS, MTX! KLZE, black on black, 245/45/17's, stage 2 clutch, fidanza flywheel, borla, j-spec's with black bezel, Ground controls, GR2's,
UP COMING: Rollcage (hopefully), hid's with valeo projectors, handling components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-20-04, 12:51

Offset is pretty important. Stock is +42mm. When I switched to 16's, they were +38 and no problems or back spacers needed. It will make a difference if car is lowered and wider tires used. This was a list I kept from another poster on 'Wheels that Fit'...
So the wheels that will fit are.....(To anybody whos interested)
Probe (all)
Integra type R
Lexus (all)
626 (all)
RX7
323 (all provided thay have 5 studs)
Xedos 6 and 9
200sx (94 onward)
300zx (all)
MR2 (91 onward)
Supra (92 onward)

This is some of what was posted by 'RedMX' Nov20,2002

'Those who dont hear the music think the dancer is mad...'
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=6166.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-20-04, 21:25

Offset is the measurement from the mating surface of the wheel to the wheel centerline, in mm. There are two reasons offet is important, one has to do with suspension geometry, and then there is obviously tire clearance. Altering offset changes the scrub radius, which can have an impact on handling. For a good description of scrub radius, go here: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/techni...rubradius.html
If you're staying within +/- 5mm from stock, probably not a big deal. In terms of tire clearance, if you're staying with a 205 with an overall diameter equivalent to stock (ie 205/50/16) then you've got plenty of leeway when it comes to offset (again +/- 5 mm should be no big deal). As you move to a wider tire however, you have to be a little pickier with offset in order to be sure that you don't experience any rubbing between the tire and the fender or the tire and the strut. When you're really trying to stuff the fattest rubber you can in the wheel well, then a lot of other little factors can come into play too. I have a friend with a BMW where changing offset +/- 1mm, altering rear camber, or disconnecting the front swaybar will cause rubbing. Even a different model tire in the same size could cause problems in his case.
Also, regarding TJ's list of wheels, bolt pattern and offset may be compatible, but you need to check the hub center bore as well. For example I'm fairly certain Lexus IS300 wheels have a smaller bore than the MX6 (though you can have them machined to fit).

1993 626 ES: Eibachs, Tokico Blues, PT 17.5mm sway bar, AWR trailing links, 15x7 ATS Comp Lites (13.5 lb), PRM, 65mm TB, Borla, RR-Racing inserts, custom short throw shifter, JDM 626 headlights.
1994 Miata R-package: TEIN Flex, Hard Dog Hardcore, 13x7 Panasport ULs.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-20-04, 22:58 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. So what do you suggest for 225/45 tire on a 17" rim? At least those are my specs!

Thanks

-scot-

1993 Mazda Mx6 LS, MTX! KLZE, black on black, 245/45/17's, stage 2 clutch, fidanza flywheel, borla, j-spec's with black bezel, Ground controls, GR2's,
UP COMING: Rollcage (hopefully), hid's with valeo projectors, handling components.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-20-04, 23:01 Thread Starter

Oh yeah this should have something to do with offset. My buddy has a GTI vr6. He just slapped on 19" ADR's on it. But the inside of the rims rubbed a little on the edge of his brake pad's. Would this be because his offset is to big or to small?

Thanks,

-scot-

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-21-04, 10:45

Rubbing on the brakes could be an offset issue, or just due to the design of the wheel. As long as you're not too crazy with your offset you won't have a problem on the MX6 as the brakes are pretty small.
With 225s you're probably going to want to stick close to stock, but I can't give you an exact answer, as I have a 626. While its pretty similar, its not exactly the same. I'm running a 205 on a +35mm offset rim, and its pretty tight to the fender lip on the rear when the suspension is compressed. I wouldn't be able to fit a 225 on that wheel, but I probably could on a +40 or +45 maybe.

1993 626 ES: Eibachs, Tokico Blues, PT 17.5mm sway bar, AWR trailing links, 15x7 ATS Comp Lites (13.5 lb), PRM, 65mm TB, Borla, RR-Racing inserts, custom short throw shifter, JDM 626 headlights.
1994 Miata R-package: TEIN Flex, Hard Dog Hardcore, 13x7 Panasport ULs.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 4-25-04, 4:36

I am looking to get some 18x8 wheels with an offset of +35. If anyone really knows alot about rims and fitment for the 1993 mx6, please let me know if this would fit.

The only reason for getting the 18x8 is because that is the only size they offer in that particular wheel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 5-7-04, 15:59

Does anybody have an answer to my question? Anybody?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-9-12, 10:27

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 3

Garage
i have honda accord rims on my 6 with an offset of 55. how big of spacers do i need to make them flush?

94 KLDE MX6 MXT - K&N CAI, 67mm TB, Full 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust w. all SS Parts, Wrapped Headers, and Test Pipe M2 Lowering Springs, MazdaSpeed6 Brakes+SS Lines, Front Strut Tower Bar, Subframe Connecting Rails,, Angel Eye Halo Projector Headlights w. 6000k HID Conversion + Fogs, Smoked OEM Tails, Purple Under/Interior/Engine/Rim/Trunk Glow, 17" XXR 962 Rims, Custom Lip Kit All Around, 15% Tint, Blue Painted Engine, EGR Delete
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 10:46

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I doubt any of these guys will reply since it's an 8 year old thread, but since you already have the rims on the car, just measure bulge on the sidewall of the tire to the lip on the wheel well to see how much of a spacer you'll need to put before rubbing occurs.

1997 MX-6 LS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page