Clicking noise as I turn left.. - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4-24-04, 14:04   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 65 Power: 5

Clicking noise as I turn left..

It's quite odd. I can't remember it happening when I turn right. Only left. I have 6 month old cv joints/axles, and I THINK (gotta go back and check receipts) control arms. The feeling though is like right behind the clutch. Maybe the steering column? Or the transmission? MTX, with throw-out bearings needing to be replaced. Suggestions on this problem?

Help me get a free ipod, and get yourself one while you do it! This is ACTUALLY A LEGIT DEAL! Check it out here
Rivulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4-24-04, 15:02   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 5005 Power: 6

jack the car up and push on the wheels.. they souldnt have any side to side play.. then try turning them by hand.. it should move linearly, not jerkily.. and again no free play.

clicking could be the rack if the bits and pieces have loosened.

dont think just because your cv's are new though, that it cant be them.. i've had cv's that clicked right out of the box (return trip to store.. angry face on at my previous couple of hour's wasted time, etc)
when does the clicking happen? if only when turning i would rule out the clutch

94 mx6 - you name it - I did it, came up with it, tried it and rejected it or just plain still have it. **Now in the caring hands of Chef**
93 mx3 - klze, i/h/e, rims and paint.. **FS - on a lift, has an engine, just need to put them together. I have no time. come buy it cheap.
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with bolt ons, lifted, locked. 32x10.5 Goodyear MTR winter/ 30x9.5 bfg ta/ko summer. Custom steel bumpers + armor. "the beast"
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with every bolt on + tune. My street jeep. small tires, but runs 13's
Goatcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-24-04, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 501 Power: 5

Well...

To properly diagnose front-end problems, jack it up and place jack stands underneath the control arms. Place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, and try to shake the tire in a manner like the steering wheel. If there's play, have a helper grab the outter ball joint end while you shake it, to see if the end's moving. If not, have them grab the inner end, inside the rubber accordian-style sleeve.

Then, try your hands at 10:30 and 4:30, shaking it in the same manner. Any play here would also be shown in your previous position, and is indicative of wheel bearing play. Try it at 1:30 and 7:30 also, if you'd like.

Finally, try 12 and 6. Any play that is here and only here is ball joint play or perhaps upper strut mount play. Have a helper grab the ball joint to feel for play, or grab the spring and try to wiggle it...

Now then, regardless, the problem's probably in your center differential, which is located in between the clutch and firewall. When you've got the car lifted, try crawling underneath (lift it securely!!!) and listening while the wheels are turned in either direction. Place your hand on that portion of the tranny, to see if you can feel little jolts to go along with the clicks. You probably can... If you want, you can drain the tranny fluid (80W-90) to see if it's silver.

Anways, I'd say that you're probably going to need a new differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerios165
i didn't read it but it sure looks informative, with the graphics and everything.
"Indeed what I have here written makes no claim to novelty in points of detail; and therefore I give no sources, because it is indifferent to me whether what I have thought has already been thought before me by another." - and you get karma if you can spot the irony.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-24-04, 19:57   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 5005 Power: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Well...

To properly diagnose front-end problems, jack it up and place jack stands underneath the control arms. Place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, and try to shake the tire in a manner like the steering wheel. If there's play, have a helper grab the outter ball joint end while you shake it, to see if the end's moving. If not, have them grab the inner end, inside the rubber accordian-style sleeve.

Then, try your hands at 10:30 and 4:30, shaking it in the same manner. Any play here would also be shown in your previous position, and is indicative of wheel bearing play. Try it at 1:30 and 7:30 also, if you'd like.

Finally, try 12 and 6. Any play that is here and only here is ball joint play or perhaps upper strut mount play. Have a helper grab the ball joint to feel for play, or grab the spring and try to wiggle it...

Now then, regardless, the problem's probably in your center differential, which is located in between the clutch and firewall. When you've got the car lifted, try crawling underneath (lift it securely!!!) and listening while the wheels are turned in either direction. Place your hand on that portion of the tranny, to see if you can feel little jolts to go along with the clicks. You probably can... If you want, you can drain the tranny fluid (80W-90) to see if it's silver.

Anways, I'd say that you're probably going to need a new differential.
that just reminded me..

my last set of axles.. i didnt notice whether they had snap rings on them... turns out one didnt, or it fell off during installation and got chewed up/attached itself to the magnet in the tranny.. but anyways without the snap ring i had a decent amount of "click" = not really when turning but just an overall looseness to the vehicle and clicks at seemingly rancom times, regardless of turning/ straight, load/ less load, etc...

might wanna look at that also.

94 mx6 - you name it - I did it, came up with it, tried it and rejected it or just plain still have it. **Now in the caring hands of Chef**
93 mx3 - klze, i/h/e, rims and paint.. **FS - on a lift, has an engine, just need to put them together. I have no time. come buy it cheap.
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with bolt ons, lifted, locked. 32x10.5 Goodyear MTR winter/ 30x9.5 bfg ta/ko summer. Custom steel bumpers + armor. "the beast"
98 jeep GC - 5.9L with every bolt on + tune. My street jeep. small tires, but runs 13's
Goatcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-25-04, 0:22   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 178 Power: 5

is it a click or a clunk?
when i am driving at low speeds ill hear a clunking sound and kinda of feel it in my clutch pedal, i figured that when i did the clutch install maybe it would get fixed along the way on accident or atleast discovered what it was.....nope, still got it, but it really doesn't affect anything its just annoying....
i better not need a new differential, i don't ever want to take my tranny out again....well atleast until im at the point where im running out of mods to do and spend the money on a nice LSD, but of course thats not going to be for another maybe 60 years.

cheerios165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-25-04, 0:42   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 507 Power: 5

If your missing the clip ring on the axle inside the differential, or if it's damaged, then a short amount of driving would pop the axle out of the differential. I had that happen to me where a shop forgot to put the clip in and moments after I was home the axle popped out. Not completely but enough that the teeth werent catching anything.(thankfully). But IF you could move the axle in and out of the differential with ease, then you have a problem.

-Rick- 88 MX6 GT Celeste
Boosted on an Electromotive TECII standalone. FE-DOHC rebuild
Quote:
This is a little-visited and quite esoteric area of the site...
97 Miata Lola
RbluEMx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-25-04, 7:26   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 65 Power: 5

If I shift quickly, I get a similar feeling when I get on the clutch pedal hastedly.

Help me get a free ipod, and get yourself one while you do it! This is ACTUALLY A LEGIT DEAL! Check it out here
Rivulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-18-05, 19:03   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

When I accelerate hard during a turn from a slow speed or stop I get a clicking sound that I feel in the steering. I only feel it/hear it while turning one turn on my way home from work when I make a right and merge onto a fast road while accelerating hard. I just had my cv shafts replaced (left) and rebuilt (right) and I know they had the clip back in because I watched it get put in. Also, I checked to make sure the shafts were tight by pulling on them in all directions while the car was parked. Maybe the steering rack??? Any more ideas would be great. Thanks.
zacks94mx6ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-19-05, 8:52   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 144 Power: 5

strut mount bearing, maybe? park on a slippery surface like a garage floor, and turn your wheel back and forth while the car is idling and not moving. see if you hear the clicking, if so it might be the bearing.
john101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-19-05, 19:10   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

Sometimes while I back out of a parking space I hear it if the wheel is all the way cut one way or the other. But I don't always here it. Think it could be the strut mount bearing still? Thanks.
zacks94mx6ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement