GAS Probelms filling - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Other Performance
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-06, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 5

GAS Probelms filling

I have been having a large probelm filling my gas tank. For some reason my tank think its full but it isn't really full. My gauges are right i know this, but it clicks every two seconds when i pump like its full but it isn't. I know how to pump gas, it's not like i'm an idiot. What can i do to fix this problem?
stallion1js is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-06, 13:23   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 584 Power: 5

I had the same problem on my previous 96 LS, i posted a thread too:

Problems with filling up fuel
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169125 (Problems with filling up fuel)

I didn't really get any definite solutions, like "replace this" or whatever, but you might want to check it out.

In the future, try using the SEARCH tab, located along the banner at the top of the screen

1997 Mazda MX-6 LS KLZE
Teaching english in Jeonju, S.Korea for now...damn I miss my MX-6
BShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 14:35   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 25 Power: 5

simple problem, you put the nozzle in to far, and it hits the stop mechanism, alot of people do this, just pull it out a bit, it doesnt need to be all the way in there. i used to work at the gas station, and you learn things like this.
Brett_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 14:42   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 11 Power: 5

It doesn't matter how far i put it in, it does the same thing. My car has never had this problem since the last 2 weeks it has been doing this. Is there anyway to fix the problem?
stallion1js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 15:08   #5 (permalink)

have you been using the same station, because it really sounds like a pump problem, i dont see why your tank would trigger the mechanism. that one is beyond me. sorry.
Old 10-25-06, 2:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion1js View Post
It doesn't matter how far i put it in, it does the same thing. My car has never had this problem since the last 2 weeks it has been doing this. Is there anyway to fix the problem?
Was the same thing for me...i guess no one knows the problem and just assumes we're so retarded we don't know how to fill up gas, huh?

You just have to used to guessing from the needle how many litres/gallons to fill it up. It's a crappy game to have to play, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

i might help to just fill it up when it hits half. It's 25 litres or so from half to full (whatever that is in gallons).

1997 Mazda MX-6 LS KLZE
Old 10-25-06, 2:53   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 1763 Power: 5

There is not stop mechanicsm built into your gas filler hole, Its built into the nozzle.

The problem is your breather tube on your gas filler is , Kinked, Clogged, or damaged some how. This limits the amount of fuel that can travel down the filler neck to the tank.. resuliting in back flow. Because the air in the tank cant escape. Giving the effect that the tank is full, triggering the pump to stop. you probaly will hear a gurgling sound now and then when resetting the trigger or pulling the pump nozzle out,

My 626 does this to me sometimes.. i never cared to fix the problem. What i do is turn the pump handle upside down, getting it as far into the filler neck as possible and hold the trigger. lol.

KING6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 13:57   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING6 View Post
There is not stop mechanicsm built into your gas filler hole, Its built into the nozzle.

i knew that, but whats really fun is when the stop mechanism breaks, and people pull it out of their car, and spray 20$ worth of gas over their benz, their fur coat, and two other people filling gas. then i come out of the gas station and have to scream at the lady for being a idiot, and taking the bag off the pump, not reading all the signs that say out of order, and still pumping gas with it. needless to say the woman had more money than brains, and never showed up at my gas station again. the best part was when she tried to tell me there was no sign.

anyways, i gotta stop rambling on with my gas staion stories.
Old 10-25-06, 15:14   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

Some people might not like my solution, but it corrected my problem for good. I was in the same situation where I could only put in about 20 cents of gas at a time and here's what I did.

Take a metal hanger and straighten it out (unpainted hanger only) and stick it down the breather tube as far as you can and take it out and do it again about 3 times. For me, I could smell gas after the first time, but I did it again anyways. Never had a problem again and it's been 6 months now. I'm assuming a flake of rust or something was blocking the tube and I cleared it with the hanger, but don't know for sure.

Good luck.
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 2:58   #10 (permalink)

^^ Hey, finally a proposed solution. Sounds a little unorthodox, but whatever. Not that i have the 96 anymore, but this is good to know in case it happens on the 97.

Thanks

1997 Mazda MX-6 LS KLZE
Old 11-2-06, 10:55   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 437 Power: 5

So what did you end up doing??
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-2-06, 18:37   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 138 Power: 5

Maybe we should get some pics of this idea. It might help people to understand better. I'll try and nab some photos of the site and PaulG can circle where you rammed this coat hanger in.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, the Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic was built by experts.
JamesP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement