17 inch or 18 inch Tires? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Other Performance
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3-8-08, 14:42   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 15 Power: 5

17 inch or 18 inch Tires?

I was talking to the tire salesman today. First off everyone knows 17 inch tires and wheels have more selection and cheaper pricing. But what I'm wondering is ride quality on the 93-97 MX-6 V6. He mentioned if I went 18 inch which would be 215/35/18 tires, the tire would have no give which you'd have a very hard ride quality. It would wear out the suspension parts quicker and you'd feel every bump, dip, hole in the road. He did say the 40 series 17 inch has a bit more give which would improve the ride.

Now I'll ask you guys. I know people on here have used both 17 inch and 18 inch tires on this car. What is the ride quality like with your 18 inch setup? Do you feel 17 inch would be a better option? I do both freeway and in town driving, so ride quality has some importance. So what say ye all?
Braxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3-8-08, 15:29   #2 (permalink)
Tem
  Total: 59 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxus View Post
I was talking to the tire salesman today. First off everyone knows 17 inch tires and wheels have more selection and cheaper pricing. But what I'm wondering is ride quality on the 93-97 MX-6 V6. He mentioned if I went 18 inch which would be 215/35/18 tires, the tire would have no give which you'd have a very hard ride quality. It would wear out the suspension parts quicker and you'd feel every bump, dip, hole in the road. He did say the 40 series 17 inch has a bit more give which would improve the ride.

Now I'll ask you guys. I know people on here have used both 17 inch and 18 inch tires on this car. What is the ride quality like with your 18 inch setup? Do you feel 17 inch would be a better option? I do both freeway and in town driving, so ride quality has some importance. So what say ye all?
I'm going to shoot for 17's this tues.. if you dont get a solid answer by then I'll tell you how mine are.
Tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-8-08, 16:54   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 139 Power: 5

Everything the salesman told you is true. The only thing left is for you to choose, looks and price VS. comfort and a clean consiens (However thats spelled). If you have great road conditions, which i doubt cause you`re a fellow canuck, and a stock suspension you dont mind killing, get the 18`s. I`d still go with the 17`s though.

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
JoeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-9-08, 3:11   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 90 Power: 5

id go with 17's

look pretty good and the best for performance gains I think.?

Daily - '92 2G -- White, KLZE, Selex coilovers, full black leather interior, CAI, pacesetters, exhaust 16x8 BBS RS (replicas)
daevilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-12-08, 12:13   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 211 Power: 5

17's will suit you just fine. Won't even be close to the ride quality your used to. But will look great. Check the weights on these wheels and try to go light as possible

2001 Ford CVPI New Engine, 2000 Taurus SES New Engine, 1995 Mx6 Ls New engine, Headers & 2.5" exhaust, CAI, 255# Fuel Pump,ksports

The_Evil_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-12-08, 12:57   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 9 Power: 5

I run 18s, you dont have to get the 215/35s though, I'm about to upgrade to 225/40s or MAYBE 235/40s if I can get a straight answer on if they rub or not. If you go 18s DO NOT get the 215/35s, they're like riding on the rim practically. No give in the tire, and yea, hard as a rock in the ride. If you want any kind of show, I say go with 18s, but if you do any kind of autocross or very much turning while moving fast, go 17s. Performance wise they're just better because you have more tire to stay on the ground. I haven't put my 18s back on since I upgraded suspension but I had dropzone coils with stock struts and it was rough. It's still a rough ride (with my stock m15s) but thats because i have the Ksport suspension thats got really hard coils too.

*CrankShaft Pulley: MBX Unorthodox *Cold Air Intake: Maximum Performance *Exhaust: 2 1/2" straight pipe from stock cat back *Lowering: KSports! Installed, heck of a better rid than stock! *STS: ProbeSport *Stoppers: Powerslot Slotted Rotors *color change from white to blue. *Rims: 18" Enkei DM5's *Little Stuff: NGK Wires and Iridium plugs *My M-Editions Cardomain site.
hotrodguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-12-08, 19:46   #7 (permalink)
Tem
  Total: 59 Power: 5

I ended up getting 16's today ... they were MAZDA rims .. and look pretty good on my car.. they are modern 16's but I think the car feels strange..

I wanted 17's but they were a gift from my father and well .. .you dont look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm worried my tires might be the wrong size though.

I have 16" mazda rims with these tires.

Dunlop Tires - Find The Right Tire - Tire Specifications

I just wanted to add I just looked up the price.. and yeah they are problalby staying... ROFL

Last edited by Tem; 3-12-08 at 20:08..
Tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-18-08, 5:08   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 41 Power: 5

ive got 18s with 225/40's, no rub, ride quality was fine and thats with a dodgey lowering job, of course my suspension is totally screwed now but with a new set of tokicos or osmething im sure itll be fine, i think its more personal preference to looks really, ive been in a 6 with 17s and the difference in ride quality was stuff all

94 KLZE, Stage1 clutchmasters, mx3 fw, sts, probinator chiped, k&n ram, custom ignition leads
Lelle_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-19-08, 18:44   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 18 Power: 5

No real benefit to going with 18s vs 17s besides aesthetic reasons. Play it safe and go for 17s. Just keep in mind the fender well likes to swallow up 17s without beefy tires and even with 2**/45/17s you'll be left wanting a drop.
AntiBoostGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement