j spec cams - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 2G MX6 (93-97) > 2G MX6 General > 2G MX6 Other Performance
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3-19-08, 12:36   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

j spec cams

has anyone put the cork sport j spec cams in a I4? i want to get some but was more curious about how worthe it they are...

maroon I4 93 x-6, short throw, custom bent cold air, 4-2-1 stainless headers, nkg 8mm wires, front and rear strut brace, personally tuned timing and a/f ratios 10/2007

lost count 12/2009
redx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3-23-08, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 139 Power: 5

Im gonna tell you what o2kyle might answer shortly too. Dont bother getting the jspec cams from corksport or anywhere else either...get the mazdaspeed protege intake cam. you never know what the cams can be like coming from scraped japanese engines. the protege speed can be looked at before the purchase here in north america. much safer for your wallet and already comes from a turbo engine

Elegance Auto Detailing
Your Heart Beats, Mine Rotates!
JoeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-24-08, 3:26   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 459 Power: 5

But cams made for a turbo engine will probably make him worse off. I couldnt see the KFZE (right?) cams making a big difference. Especially not the arm and leg that they charge for them + the afformentioned condition problems. That, and the effort of installing them,

Would be probably better off going with a regrind from a cam place, after sending in your stockers or off another set you can pick up for free from wreckers etc.

Then again, still might not be worth the money on the i4. This is not from experiance, but I couldnt imagine it making the i4 that much more powerful without sacrificing drivability. Better invested elsewhere. Up to you in the end.

200kw KLZE-T
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-24-08, 6:52   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 342 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
But cams made for a turbo engine will probably make him worse off. I couldnt see the KFZE (right?) cams making a big difference. Especially not the arm and leg that they charge for them + the afformentioned condition problems.
FSZE, and Turk might be right. If you look at $$/HP ratio, corksport claims it's $18/hp, which is not a bad deal although it may be far from the truth. But can you install a cam yourself and adjust timing and everything? Maybe you can and it might be worth it, but the mazdaspeed protege does use similar if not identical cams that can be attained for much less.

Also, I never really wanted to mod my I4, I was happy that I was getting 29 mpg around town and 35 on the highway. If I had wanted to mod a car, I would have gotten a V6, for which there are more mods that net more power.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The man who had nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill
whitenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-5-08, 8:47   #5 (permalink)

i can do the cams my self no problem... i just got done doin them in my friends eclipse thats what got me interested. but the protege speed cams are the same stroke and everything....? is thier 2.0 the same as my 2.0 in my mx6? if so then y aren't more people takin the turbos off the pjs and putting them on the mxers?

maroon I4 93 x-6, short throw, custom bent cold air, 4-2-1 stainless headers, nkg 8mm wires, front and rear strut brace, personally tuned timing and a/f ratios 10/2007

lost count 12/2009
Old 4-5-08, 16:39   #6 (permalink)

The intake cam is slightly differant on the protege speed, it is identicle on the regular protege. The exhaust cam wouldnt work on the mx6 because we have the distributor attached to it, the proteges dont have distributors, they have coils(not sure, but i know it aint a disty). If you plan on going turbo, the protegespeed cams are the best if not, you could still get them or get a re-grind. Thats what 02kyle suggested me, cuz i plan on going turbo this summer...If i get ahead of kyle, ill let you know, but for now he`s "the mentor"

Elegance Auto Detailing
Old 4-5-08, 17:01   #7 (permalink)

so basically what ur saying is get an intake cam off the mazdaspeed protege, not the exhaust cam, and would the turbo mani bolt up or don't u know?

lost count 12/2009
Old 4-5-08, 22:06   #8 (permalink)

Yes, what im saying is get the intake cam from the speed protege.

Being that they are esentially the same engine at base(same block and head) the turbo mani from the speed protege should bolt right up, but i cant confirm this as i have not tested it. Also, I hvae no idea how much room the mani takes up, so i dont know if you need to relocate the rad...but thats a diferant subject.

Elegance Auto Detailing
Old 4-16-08, 8:07   #9 (permalink)

thats tight news... it just made my day!

lost count 12/2009
Old 4-16-08, 9:42   #10 (permalink)

i just checked on e bay and from all the pics it looks like the bolt pattern is pretty much the same from what i can tell i know that gives us I4 boys some hope lol

lost count 12/2009
Old 11-11-08, 22:38   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 16 Power: 5

Now I'm not looking to turbo my FSDE for awhile. So going with the Mazdaspeed Protege Cam smart or go with Corksport Cam?

2009 Dodge Journey SXT - 3.5L
1991 Acura Integra GS - B18b1 w/ B16 Tranny
1993 Mazda MX-6 - FSDE
2004 Yamaha R6 - 600cc
outlaws318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-08, 23:44   #12 (permalink)

Corksport now has the Exhaust Cam for the FSDE

1993 Mazda MX-6 - FSDE
2004 Yamaha R6 - 600cc
Old 11-11-08, 23:50   #13 (permalink)

Start with the intake cam and some headers...plus full exhaust and a CAI. then think about going deeper

Elegance Auto Detailing
Old 11-12-08, 7:13   #14 (permalink)

Well I was going to order all my parts when I'm in Iraq and have my wife put them in the trunk so when I get home in a year I'm have them to pt on.

1993 Mazda MX-6 - FSDE
2004 Yamaha R6 - 600cc
Old 12-5-08, 14:24   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 30 Power: 5

I will add something from myself in case of FS-ZE camshaft in FS mazda engine. I bought that camshaft from Corksport about 6 months ago. I have put it with completly modified cylinder head, and some other things like nology spark plug wires, and outlaw engineering spacer kit. First dyno run (before any mods - except exhaust and intake - that was done about 2 years ago) and I had 118BHP and 154NM of torque. Then we've measured my car after mod. head and FS-ZE intake cam inside. We've recived 132BHP and 161NM of torque on wheels. After ECU tuned whit ECU Master final result was 138BHP and 166NM.

Car has been idling very bad (but that is characteristic for high lift cams). The power band was disadvantageous too. HP and torque peak was better only after 5500 rpm. Below this range car was a lot weaker compare to the stock cam setup. Acceleration from 0-100 - the same (maby a bit worse whit low-rev start) as it is now - about 9s. Whit full exhaust and intake but whitout head mods, and ECU upgrade I have been making times around 9,7s. I couldn't drive a car whit that kind of power band every day. It was very annoying. I had to rev it over 5000rpm on every gear to get it moves properly - there was no acceleration under 2500 rpm on 5th gear.

Now I'm driving whit: full exhaust (with 4-1 header, and hi-flow kat), intake with BMC airbox, modified cylinder head and ECU upgraded whit "ECU Master" piggy back. Whit this setup I have 125 BHP and 170NM of tourqe. Compare to FS-ZE camshaft average power is now better for about 2HP, and average torque is better for about 10NM (!).

Look at these dyno runs and decide if FS-ZE is worth buying.

These runs have been done whit mod. cylinder head, exhaust and intake.
The only thing that is different, is the FS-ZE camshaft !!

Stock cam vs. FS-ZE cam:

As you can see: stock cam is better in green section, FS-ZE camshaft is better in red section. On -ZE cam, car has got wrong AFR on low revs (too much fuel - and not enought air) and also on high revs (too much air - not enought fuel). Results propably would be better whit biger fuel pump and injectors installed. And whitout rev limiter of course Stock cam is perfect for normal driving - properly power gain across all range of revs providing smooth ride. FS-ZE camshaft is better than for racnig, when you're reving your engine [fizze] ing hard. Or it can be good for a street car, of course if you like high power on very high revs. If you don't - stay with stock cam

Last edited by Lukas007; 12-8-08 at 13:48..

Mazda 626 GE FP ... Enkei / Hankook / Sprint / Tokico / KVR / EBC / Fidanza / Corksport / Greddy / Simota / MOTUL / Well-Done / Outlaw Engineering / Alpine / Helix / Rockford Fosgate / JL Audio / Dynamat / Eagle ...
Ford Probe GT F2T ... Federal / Kosei / MTS Technik / Properfekt / Valvoline / uDimension / Kenwood / Caliber ...
Lukas007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement