What happens if water gets on air filter of CAI? - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 1:01 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

What happens if water gets on air filter of CAI?

Like the subject says....anyone know what happens? Is it really bad for the engine ro what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 1:05

It doesn't really do anything except restrict airflow, which causes more pressure, than eventually, water get's scuked in, which is where the bad part is, water in engine. Water on the filter can and probably will lead to water being ingested into the engine. Well fuel and oil float on water, so imagine the effect of water in your car. Not a prety sight, when it rains here in california (hopefully for only a few weeks) the stock air box goes back on for me, hell i don't need the extra power anyways, just more dangerous.

< C'est La Vie! >
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 2:41

Its not that fuel and oil floats on water, but that water isn't compressable. If water goes through the intake, the pistons that usually compress the fuel/air mixture will try to compress the water.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 7:39

A puddle splash or even a spray of water (such as going through a no-touch carwash with an under-car wash option) won't likely hurt anything in the engine itself. An engine can actually ingest small amounts of water without damage. Water injection kits exist for cooling combustion on turbo apps and in the old days it was de rigeurfor carbon removal to slowly drip water into the carb and have it flash carbon off the pistons. I don't recommend this nowadays, but it used to be done.

As WickedGin has pointed out, water is not compressible. Large amounts of ingested water will cause large amounts of problems. Driving your car into a deep puddle of standing water (such that the filter and air intake are below the surface of the water) will result in sucking up a damaging quantity of water.

However, a splash from a "normal" puddle won't hurt the motor.

Mike (94 PGT - sold)
2002 Mustang GT Kenne Bell Intercooled 1.7L Twinscrew @ 9psi | Comp 262AH cams | Steeda C/B | Accufab 70mm T/B | FRPP 3.73s | ~450HP at the crank
2002 VW GTI 1.8T | GIAC X+ tune | APR R1 DV | N75J | Evoms V-Flow | APR TIP | Techtonics DP | TT SS | Helix projectors w/6000K HIDs | TT front brakes | MFA sport cluster conversion | OE Nav
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 10:28 Thread Starter

Is it easy to change from the CAI back to stock air box? I know I should not be very worried in summer time cuz TX is usually drought all summer, but winter comes and rainy wet and crappy weather begins. Can a plastic back be placed over the filter or will that just make no air get in and may be bad for car...?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 14:03

There is a bypass valve that prevents water from being sucked up into your engine. They tested it on a NSX, and submerged the filter in a bucket of water, water went a foot up the intake but didn't get any in the engine.
Anyway, I am looking for that web site because I just realized I'm scared to drive with my intake in the rain. I know I saw it on here before but just can't find it now.

Last edited by WickdGin; 8-23-01 at 14:10.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 14:17

Alright, I found the site: http://www.aempower.com/

There is an article on top where sports compact mag. tested it.

The only thing is they don't make one specificly for the mx-6 or ford probe, so does anyone know which model I could use?

Last edited by WickdGin; 8-23-01 at 14:20.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-23-01, 16:02
Aetherfury
Tell me, Mr. Anderson, what good is a phone call when you are unable to speak?

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've used a Hotshot cold air intake for over a year and a half. That includes northern VA rain/sleet/snow... the works. I've never had a single negative effect, and I had to drive home in a huge snowstorm MORE than once.

That doesn't mean nothing will ever happen, but my experience is that the CAI is safer than some people make it out to be. I don't have 100% faith in it, especially since I now carry a PRM intake in the trunk.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-24-01, 4:57
Mighty Mouse

If you go to this link, you can see the hood on my car: www.geocities.com/darth_mouse/totaltrd.jpg

Water gets on my filter all the time. I have a greddy airnix and its made of foam. I have drove my car in heavy pooring rain and I Have had no problems at all with it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-25-01, 0:33
dpf

your site doesn't come up mighty mouse

KLZE - Borla Cat-Back Exhaust
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-25-01, 1:05
Mighty Mouse

http://www.geocities.com/darth_mouse/totaltrd.jpg
there, i cut and pasted that right off the site. I dont know why the first link did not work. Cause what i pasted is teh same thing. but it works.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-25-01, 8:29

I took on water iin my CAI about 2 weeks ago and my car shut off. I was lucky enough to get it cranked back up and swerve through traffic to make it to a gas station.

I opened up the hood and my filter was dripping with water. I took the filter off, sprayed some of my homemade brew through the intake, ran the car for a little while, and with the help of a sock and some duct tape, I made it home.

Now Iv'e fixed it to where I can take the CAI pipe off if it starts raining.

17" NZO Pino, Intrax Springs, Topspeed Front Strut bar, AC Designs Twister Filter, Wings West Mid Wing, Ngk Plugs, custom rear sway bar, clear sidemarker lens, 1 Loud stereo

See My 626 at: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/u2cnflme/lst?.dir=/Auto&.view=t

1 Shot 1 Kill
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-28-01, 14:50

Try leaving your filters above the splash guard..

Red 93 MX-6 2.0L MTX | K&N Filters | Ractive 9mm wires | NGK's | Custom 2.5" (Header.. No Cat)| Monroe Sensatracs | Carbon Fiber Hood | Polished Ford VC | Test Pipe | Stage I Clutch | Red Anodized Pedals | Marine terminals | Red J-spec 194 Bulbs | Red Neons | 16" Indiana's | BFG Traction T/A's | Ricer 9004 Bulbs | Stage II Weight Reduction

Best 1/4 mile in 2002: 16.091 @ 84.6

My MX-6 Page
IPOC Member
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-30-01, 9:35

Im just takeing a guess here, but if you leave you filter above the splash guard you wont take as much air in, if thats a fact then i would rather just throw my stock air box back on in the rain or snow. It only takes 5 minutes!!

2006 Pontiac GTO w/ M6 and 18s
GMM Ripshift + Lou's short stick, Pedders suspension, Pacesetter headers, DMS CAI and JBA exhaust.
RIP 6/19/03: 94 MX-6 LS
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 8-30-01, 13:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorp165
Im just takeing a guess here, but if you leave you filter above the splash guard you wont take as much air in, if thats a fact then i would rather just throw my stock air box back on in the rain or snow. It only takes 5 minutes!!
you'll be pulling in just as much air, it'll just be hotter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda MX-6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page