Around how many hours should I be charged to change water pump and timing belt? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > Regional Forums > Canada > Eastern Canada
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-02, 17:56   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

Around how many hours should I be charged to change water pump and timing belt?

I assume my water pump has pumped its last. My car is beginning to overheat, and I've already tested the thermostat to see if it was stuck. The thermostat opens at high temperatures, it's just that no coolant is getting pumped throughout the engine and radiator.

How many hours should it take to replace the pump and timing belt for the mechanic? I don't have any access to car lifts to try and do the job myself, and it's freezing out now. As much as I would like to learn how to repair this, I just don't have the resources to get it done... and I need the car to drive myself to school.

Also, besides the water pump, what other parts/accessories are needed with it? Any gaskets, etc?

Thanks.

So, let me get this straight:
Your Honda has 1.6 litres, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
MadCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-02, 18:04   #2 (permalink)

hummm

i work at a auto shop and i can tell ya what the book says
but that wont be till monday
mr zoom zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-02, 18:14   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 51 Power: 5

I did this job last week. My mechanic has a timing belt book listing diagrams, instructions, etc for just about any car, and it listed the time as 4.5 hrs (just the T-belt), but he said that was a little optimistic. He estimated 6.5 to 7 hours for him to do the T-belt and pump. It took my friend and I ~10.5 hours. Next time I could probably do it in 8.5 or 9.
I paid less than about $90 for the belt, and something like $75 for the pump, so less than $200 tax in for parts. The new pump comes with a new o-ring. Apart from coolant that is all that is really required, though depending on the condition of the pulley bearings and the tensioner, you might need/want to replace those as well. Also a good time to replace accessory belts and tensioner pulley bearings, but that stuff can easily be done afterward as well.
Even if you are having a mechanic do the job, its good to read through the procedure in the '2G projects' forum as well as the Haynes manual if you have it, just so you are familiar with it.

**EDIT**
I just realized you have the I4: Should cost less for both parts and labour on the four cylinder. I had a 2.0 before this car, and had the 96000 km service done at the dealer (which includes timing belt). Total cost, parts and labour, was a little over $600.

Last edited by jduffett; 11-22-02 at 18:18..

1993 626 ES: Eibachs, Tokico Blues, PT 17.5mm sway bar, AWR trailing links, 15x7 ATS Comp Lites (13.5 lb), PRM, 65mm TB, Borla, RR-Racing inserts, custom short throw shifter, JDM 626 headlights.
1994 Miata R-package: TEIN Flex, Hard Dog Hardcore, 13x7 Panasport ULs.
jduffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 10:08   #4 (permalink)

good garage for the mx6

I got a great mechanic, he's also a member of mx6.com ( MS 80 )

The shop is Dupont Auto Center ( at Dupont and Spadina )

He knows the car well, and he's honest about his works.

ask for Michael - tell him you spoke to John @ mx6.com, he should be able to help.

drive ...
94mx6LStoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 12:17   #5 (permalink)

Re: good garage for the mx6

Thanks for the replies. I'll estimate the labour will be about 5 hours, depending on where I go.

Quote:
Originally posted by 94mx6LStoronto
I got a great mechanic, he's also a member of mx6.com ( MS 80 )

The shop is Dupont Auto Center ( at Dupont and Spadina )

He knows the car well, and he's honest about his works.

ask for Michael - tell him you spoke to John @ mx6.com, he should be able to help.
Thanks for referring your mechanic, but I'm in the Brampton area and that's a bit far =) I guess I should change my Location in my profile to be more specific.

Now I must find a shop that I could bring my poor baby to.

So, let me get this straight:
Your Honda has 1.6 litres, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
MadCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 12:25   #6 (permalink)
Smot-Poker
  Total: 20 Power: 5

7 - 10 hours?
Thats insane!!

If I remember correctly, my mechanic charged me for 2.5 hours of labour. I replaced the timing belt and the pump at the same time at about 120,000kms...

I think I paid somewhere between 400-500 bucks for parts and labour.

Canadian Smot Poker
Moderately Modified
"Pshhht Pshhht!!"
1?.?5@10?.58mph
note: The Question marks are clues...

Miss my mx6 - But LOVE my RX8
Rufnek69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-02, 18:29   #7 (permalink)

10 hours for me to do it... 6.5-7 hours was my mechanic's estimate. Your 2.5 hours doesn't seem to add up. Assuming ~$200 in parts, that leaves you with $200-300 in labour, which, for 2.5 hrs works out to ~$100/hr. My mechanic charges $40/hr.

1993 626 ES: Eibachs, Tokico Blues, PT 17.5mm sway bar, AWR trailing links, 15x7 ATS Comp Lites (13.5 lb), PRM, 65mm TB, Borla, RR-Racing inserts, custom short throw shifter, JDM 626 headlights.
Old 12-14-02, 4:57   #8 (permalink)

here in ottawa
$120 for labour
$140 for timing belt and waterpump.
sweet huh

comment#244060

Member since 2001

94 MX-6 Mystere, Black & MTX.(Sold)
IndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-02, 13:16   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 217 Power: 5

10 hours is insane.. what did he also do .. did he change your CLUTCH and tranny at the same time or just did the timing belt and water pump? LOL

I wouldnt go to that mechanic ever again... if I was you

Matt

There are those who like hondas, and those who like Mx6's... I like women.. word!!!!
Official MX6.com granddaddy... or if you have a pretty girlfriend.. i'll be the suggardaddy.
Former MX6 Owner... always an MX6 lover at heart.
msequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-02, 12:40   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by msequence
10 hours is insane.. what did he also do .. did he change your CLUTCH and tranny at the same time or just did the timing belt and water pump? LOL

I wouldnt go to that mechanic ever again... if I was you

Matt
Are you referring to my post? Try reading it again.
It took ME 10 hours!

Old 12-15-02, 14:53   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 217 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by jduffett

Are you referring to my post? Try reading it again.
It took ME 10 hours!
Ya I have a tendency to do that .. i generally do not read most of the post.

Matt

There are those who like hondas, and those who like Mx6's... I like women.. word!!!!
Official MX6.com granddaddy... or if you have a pretty girlfriend.. i'll be the suggardaddy.
Former MX6 Owner... always an MX6 lover at heart.
msequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 20:44   #12 (permalink)

The "Motor" manual time is 2.9 hrs for the water pump, being generous maybe 3.4 hrs max. For parts count on the pump and gasket, timing belt, head cover gasket..
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-12-09, 0:17   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

I know this thread was forever ago but I am replacing my timing belt and my water pump right now and the bottom pulley to the camshaft is infront of a plastic cover keeping me from getting to the water pump. Everytime I try and remove it, it just spins and doesnt loosen and does anybody have any idea how to keep the engine from turning so I can loosen it? I tried putting it into gear but I worked on this for about 3 hours and still nothing.
xX Shinfo Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-12-09, 0:19   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

oh and just to make sure, I have the 4 cylinder 1996 edition. I just cant get the pulley off thats infront of the plastic cover.
xX Shinfo Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-12-09, 0:22   #15 (permalink)
  Total: 76 Power: 5

it's better to start a new thread then to bump these old ones but your new so we'll let it slide this time lol

i've never done one on the 4-cyl but I had the same problem when I did the water pump and Timing belt in my 6... only way I really found you can do it when all the acc belts and everything are already off is to stick an impact on there, it'll snap it loose and buzz it right off.

no longer an mx6 owner...
redbond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement