lightweight crankpully: do or don't? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > 1G MX6 (88-92) > 1G MX6 General > FE-DOHC
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-12, 4:16   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 110 Power: 5

lightweight crankpully: do or don't?

Does anyone have experience with a lightweight crankpully on his FE3? I have one lying around and would soon be able to use it if I'm replacing my camshaft gears. I read on different forums different opinions because they are solid aluminum and are not damping.

The engine is a almost stock high comp FE-DOHC with a 70 mm throttlebody and athermarket exhaustheaders

Sorry for my bad english.

626 Wagon: FE-DOHC, dutch fstb, 17" rims, lot's of ice
MX-6 GT 4WS: F2T, dutch fstb 17" rims, TWR sideskirts
Dutch's Nürburgring-racer: Too much to tell
Casejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-12, 8:29   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 355 Power: 5

I greatly advise against the use of un dampened crank pullies. Espically on an engine which is now so hard to replace.

Nitrous is like a hot chick with a STD..... you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences.....

1988 MX6 http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread...ferrerid=35300
1989 Probe GT M/T -cut in half with saw-zaw
lundgren420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 9:43   #3 (permalink)
STW

Total: 558 Power: 5

The alternator and other accessories do provide quite a bit of dampening though, it's when you run an engine without load other than camshaft(s) or a long crank (I6) you will have real problems. Old 8-valve FE's had solid pulleys and I don't remember them having problems with crank fatigue. Still you might want to have the increased dampening on high output engine tunes.

A lightweight pulley with tungsten rods embedded in urethane on the rim would be an interesting idea, it should have pretty high hysteresis for good dampening while having less rotational inertia and weight than the original. Pulley does have pretty insignificant impact on engine response so it's probably more an emotional issue than anything else.

1988 626 Wagon GT 2.0 DOHC Turbo | 1988 626 Hatch GT 2.0 DOHC | 1992 Toyota Carina e GLi | 1991 626 GLX Hatch AWD 2.2 l 1998 Volvo 940 STW Turbo Classic | 1988 626 Coupe GT 2.0 DOHC

My vBGarage My ride at CarDomain

STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 16:06   #4 (permalink)

Total: 557 Power: 5

The FET that is in my GC has a solid pulley and that was OEM fitment, and I still have it on there. Never had any issues to date. AUSDM cars all had balancers on the cranks, my engine is ex JDM, and other JDM imports all had solid pulleys too.
They were not interchangeable as the solid pulleys were 6 bolt and the harmonic balancer type were 4 bolt.

I am not sure that harmonic balancers on I4s are there to protect the crank but maybe to assist in reducing accessory belt noise to help lower the NVH.

84 626 sedan FE SOHC turbo, FE3 on hold, Toyota E58 conversion under way.
84 626 sedan RF diesel, a slug but you get 6.0L/100km (39MPG)
85 626 sedan carb manual - For Sale.
07 Mazda 6 MZR-CD 6sp manual - new DD
chief tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-12, 3:34   #5 (permalink)
STW

Total: 558 Power: 5

NVH indeed seems to be the main motivation behind the change to dampened unit in the later FE's.

Still, I don't find much improvement in going from stock iron pulley to similar solid alloy pulley, but of course if you need alternative drive ratios for accessories, or want to use different belts, not needing a dampened pulley makes things far simpler.

1988 626 Wagon GT 2.0 DOHC Turbo | 1988 626 Hatch GT 2.0 DOHC | 1992 Toyota Carina e GLi | 1991 626 GLX Hatch AWD 2.2 l 1998 Volvo 940 STW Turbo Classic | 1988 626 Coupe GT 2.0 DOHC

My vBGarage My ride at CarDomain

STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-12, 8:59   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 23 Power: 4

Really wish we could have an aftermarket fluidampr or ATI style crank pulley available for the FE3.
FE3_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement