Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1989 mx6 gt

6K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  P_Mac 
#1 ·
I would like to sell my 1989 MX6 GT. I have done a lot of work to it but it still needs a little tlc.

The car has a new fuel tank, a walbro 255 fuel pump, Flowmaster 2.5 muffler with 2.5 inch turbo back with no cat, civic 3 row radiator with a Mishimoto fan on it, custom induction box, 2.5 intercooler piping, Godspeed intercooler, knock off HKS bov, huge K&N air filter, aeromotive fpr, 880 injectors, MSD box and coil, ACT 6 puck unsprung clutch, an Evo 8 dual scroll 16G turbo ported with MDX o2 housing, header, the motor has recently been bored 20 over with a full rebuild, port and polished head, Autometer phantom rpm gauge and water temp gauge, AEM tru boost controller, AEM wideband with fail safe, Megasquirt 2 with extras tuned with a full custom harness, battary relocated to the trunk with 810 cold cranking amps. Im sure I might be forgetting some too (spare parts also).

Now the bad, the driver door handle broke, the clutch is really stiff,the engine smokes a little, and it is hard to start (im sure it's something with megasquirt) also the header has a crack at the collector

I would like to get $2200

all in all this is my car i drive everyday. Even though it has a few issues, i think $2200 for a car that is pushing 22 psi on a 2.2 L is a pretty good deal

See less See more
#20 ·
I understand that your new and you want to learn about the mx6, that's awesome. But please dont post things like ^ this because it makes you look like a noob. That comment wasn't exactly the first thing I want to see on my for sale thread.
Anyways, welcome to the site! Please use the search function because it will help you a lot.:tup:

On a side note, We didn't use to be able to drop the F bomb on here, when did that change? or maybe we just all were spelling it funny to be less offensive?

#4 ·
That still doesn't really explain how he hasn't blown a head, or a piston out the side of the engine block.
You start running that much boost on stock internals something usually gives.

#9 ·
Thanks you guys, ever since what's his name (sicksix6?) got banned I didn't know who's down for noob smashing lol

If the car doesn't sell in the next month or so I might part it out.

I haven't really been on here much. How is everyone? Ademan i see your still rockin huge turbos, and leev is still denying that the F2T is better than the F2... Lol I guess not much has changed

#10 ·
I wouldn't say that. The F2T was designed to be boosted daily by a clueless new owner and never break, and it does the job flawlessly. If your primary goal as an enthusiast is the biggest turbo you can bolt on, and max boost, the F2T is your best friend. I respect and understand it.

As an enthusiast that's not after 'max boost', I'd rather turbo swap a F2 and focus on supporting mods. No boosted F2T will compare to a F2-T as far as driver feel IMO.

I'd rather have an 88-89 VS 90-92 and I'd rather have a DX VS a GT. I do not like my GT, If I had the time I'd DX swap all the electronics/engine.

#11 ·
Lol I know, I'm just messing with you. you know we have been back and forth about this topic for years. I wanted a moderate turbo. I personally think anything smaller than my turbo is too little. The stock one is a joke after all, although it still is a turbo. If I were going for huge turbos I would have put an hx35 on it, I just don't understand how they fit under the hood lol.

#12 ·
Living in the communist state of california plays a large factor as well.

I would love to swap to a simple T3/4 and call it a day. Mostly for longevity reliability. I might even be able to hide it under heat shielding maybe.... but it's just not legal. At the end of the day, a cop has to be able to pop my hood and let me drive home.

#14 · (Edited)
Here are a few more pics. These are from 15k miles ago

Fresh ACT clutch

A little grainy but you get the point

It was a little foggy(wet out) the other day when I took pictures. I like on the beach camp site look better

I can also upload the wiring diagram for the megasquirt and wideband with fail safe if anybody is interested. I got really sick of the old wiring on this car so I got rid of the oem ecu and had a new harness built for the ms2. The only original wiring is in the dash and window switches, and tail lights. I can also include a download from megasquit for the programming. Incase whoever buys it wants to mess with it, or turn Auto tune on.

#15 ·
For the record, if you do decide to part it out, I call dibs on the megasquirt, harness and MSD. (Disty and trigger wheel if its required)

Basically, I want the P&P MS for an 89GT. Cash in hand.

#16 ·
For the record, it's more of a project than just plug and play. I would say rip out your old harness for this one. If I remmember right there are only around 16 wires for the megasquirt, and 6 or 7 for the wide band. When your calling dibs on the MSD is that the box or coil?

ON another note, does anybody have a wideband with fail safe. Im only asking because AEM just put it out not too long ago and it's awesome. Currently I have it set up to where if it goes out of the parameter that I set up, It opens the wastegate so that it kills the power. You can set it up to kill the car if you wanted though

#17 ·
Box, I have the coil.

I'd like to retain the OEM harness just for fun.

#18 ·
Im pretty sure if you kept it, all the it would control is the AC. I would just have to figure out what I should price everything at. I think my car is worth more in parts anyways but..... between tearing it apart for parts and shipping. I will try to sell it as a whole. If that doesn't work out though I well let everyone know. I think most of my parts would sell like hot cakes :laugh:

#21 ·
Does this car have a clean title in your name? How long have you been driving it with this setup? Do you have pictures of the crack in the manifold you mentioned and is it causing any boost leaks or other issues? Who built the manifold? Is this a reliable car as in, will it make it 1000 miles with any issues for those that may be interested but aren't close?

Your asking price isn't bad at all, I hope someone buys it from you that won't destroy it. I would if I had the extra money.

#22 ·
Thank you for your interest AndyVegan. Yes the car has a clean title in my name. I have been driving the car with the current tune since 9/28/2013. I can try to take a picture of the crack in the manifold. The crack is at the collector of the manifold. I have had the crack welded shut two times now. With how hot the header gets It is prone to cracking, I would highly encourage the new owner to build a new exhaust manifold. I can have it welded again but it only lasts a few months until it cracks again. I bought this manifold from funhouse75 on here. The header worked great until the tune and I started pushing higher boost. Like I have stated the car is kinda rough to start, also the engine smokes. Aside from those issues I have been driving the car daily for over a year and it is reliable. I believe the car can make it 1000 miles with no issues.

The reason why I want to sell it is because My fiance got into school it get her doctorate degree. I will be moving into a college town and getting back into school myself. I cant afford to keep building it, and fix these issues. Plus with clutch being so stiff, Driving in that traffic would drive me crazy. I know that the motor has some issues but I was building it to be a daily driver and weekend track beast. As this car has good power and torque with the 196/65/15's will light up the tires like a christmas tree on 12/23.

I have been in the process of polishing a set of Rsx wheels for it. With all of the work I have put into this build, I am going to keep the wheels. I am still not done polishing them, but dam they look nice.

I will not be moving until August, So that is the date that it MUST be gone by. So my question is.... How fast can you save money Andy?:grin2:

#26 ·
I am in Clermont Florida which is kinda close to Orlando. The car does leak oil but I'm not sure from where. The power steering is on and working. I simply put a shorter belt on after I removed the ac. You could put the ac back on it, but you would have change some of the intercooler piping. Also you might have to move the radiator out a bit to fit the ac condenser. Stock struts and eibach springs. The car runs on the rich side and runs fair. The tuner tuned it primarily for power not for drivability. The turbo is off of an Evo 8. I know I have posted the model number on here multiple times, im pretty sure its tdo5- 10.5 Hr. It it is a dual scroll turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.