How do you stop and or get rid of oxidized paint? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > Open Forums > General Automotive
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 9-22-04, 21:07   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 89 Power: 5

How do you stop and or get rid of oxidized paint?

I'm considering buying a 1995 Honda Civic EX Vtec automatic for my daughter, and the car is in pretty good shape.

However, the trunk lid, and the door frame (on the outside...just above the driver's side windoe) have oxidized paint spots.

The car is Black, so it definitely shows up.

I can live with it, so long as it doesn't spread. Is there a way to stop it?

HELP!!! The car is nice, has 113K miles, and he wants $2500, I think I can give him $2250...or so....

CARS: 2010 Corolla S (bought new in 11/2010), 1990 Caddillac Fleetwood (4.5L V8, FWD, 55,000 miles). 1990 Kawasak Vulcan, not running. Awesome website: http://www.freetalklive.com (unless you love Government).
jiffy6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9-22-04, 21:09   #2 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 2843 Power: 0

Is it an aftermarket paintjob? If not, then just get the color code and do your best job of blending that you can. It'll cost you less than $50 and take what...a day?
SixSick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-22-04, 21:13   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSick6
Is it an aftermarket paintjob? If not, then just get the color code and do your best job of blending that you can. It'll cost you less than $50 and take what...a day?
It is not an aftermarket paint job. I've never attempted to paint a car....at all....how "simple" is it?

Are you suggesting I sand it down...then just paint it? the same paint color....I guess that makes since.....

I'm sure it would stop the paint from getting worse....hmmmm.....I may try that.....the paint wouldn't be perfect...but the oxidation would come to a halt....

CARS: 2010 Corolla S (bought new in 11/2010), 1990 Caddillac Fleetwood (4.5L V8, FWD, 55,000 miles). 1990 Kawasak Vulcan, not running. Awesome website: http://www.freetalklive.com (unless you love Government).
Old 9-22-04, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
  Total: 178 Power: 5

if you keep the car nice and waxed it shouldnt oxidize as fast

cheerios165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-23-04, 1:32   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 66 Power: 5

My paint is pretty oxidized.. I bought Turtle Wax Color Cure Wax.. I purchased blue (cuz, well, my car is blue.) This really helped cover the oxidation! It brought out the color really nice to. About every three or so washes I re-wax .. so far so good.

Brian
(oh yea, it was about $12Cdn a bottle)
Brian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-23-04, 10:47   #6 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 2843 Power: 0

If it isnt too deep, wet sand the clear coat and re apply. (probably the case)
SixSick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-23-04, 10:49   #7 (permalink)

Ok, so the car is a really good deal at $2500. The guy won't flex....maybe he will, but only to about maybe $2300.

The car is in pretty good shape except for the paint oxidizing.....So I've considered having the car painted....just the spots that are messed up.

People ALWAYS say "Maaco"!! I've seen a few Maaco jobs before...and they were OK, but really, the rest of the paint on this car is fine.

I'd hate to spend $250 painting the whole car, and 4 months later the whole thing looks like ass....especially since it is black!

I trust the painter at Maaco, but I understand that 90% of the work is the prep work.....just looking for some ideas here.

Old 9-23-04, 10:51   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSick6
If it isnt too deep, wet sand the clear coat and re apply. (probably the case)
....ok....is there some directions on how to do this?

It does appear to be the clear coat.....

Old 9-23-04, 11:23   #9 (permalink)

Total: 199 Power: 5

Just use a polishing compound 1st.. Its very slightly abrassive but cleans oxidation off pretty damn well, then polish with a good polish. I have (had) a lot of oxidation on my truck, used Turtle Was compound.. cleaned up great, then waxed w/Maquires. Shines like new!!

'Those who dont hear the music think the dancer is mad...'
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/...il.php?id=6166.
TJ-MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-31-08, 13:37   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

Alrite well by the looks of this, im very very very late on a reply, about 8 years late? haha but just in case any1 such as myself searches "oxidize" they can read this and i can put my 2cents in on the subject. My trunk and roof were badly oxidized. Where it was oxidized the paint was gone. It was white n wood only go back to the original color wen it was wet while i was washing the car and turn back to white after it dries. Im a somewhat cheap person so I grabbed a can of clear coat and just sprayed a few coats down on the trunk as a "project" and polished it. It doesnt look PERFECT but hey, its better then before. You cant even see the white oxidized spots. You can only tell i clear coated it at the right angle. To me for a $5 quickfix its satisfactory for now. hope i help somebody out there
JonsMX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-31-08, 13:50   #11 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 715 Power: 5

4 years but whos counting.

boarding with my wiener out
Lambera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-3-08, 22:36   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 105 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMX6 View Post
Alrite well by the looks of this, im very very very late on a reply, about 8 years late? haha but just in case any1 such as myself searches "oxidize" they can read this and i can put my 2cents in on the subject. My trunk and roof were badly oxidized. Where it was oxidized the paint was gone. It was white n wood only go back to the original color wen it was wet while i was washing the car and turn back to white after it dries. Im a somewhat cheap person so I grabbed a can of clear coat and just sprayed a few coats down on the trunk as a "project" and polished it. It doesnt look PERFECT but hey, its better then before. You cant even see the white oxidized spots. You can only tell i clear coated it at the right angle. To me for a $5 quickfix its satisfactory for now. hope i help somebody out there
Mind is highly oxidized as well, and I'm debating this. Can you perhaps post some before/after pics?

So all you did was reapply the clearcoat?
A Simple MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-4-08, 0:02   #13 (permalink)
  Total: 519 Power: 5

think clearcoat spray could fix this?

compnut21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-19-08, 14:26   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White-6 View Post
Mind is highly oxidized as well, and I'm debating this. Can you perhaps post some before/after pics?

So all you did was reapply the clearcoat?
yah no problem. ive been meaning to post pics of the before/after just never got around to it. been a lil busy these past couple weeks but ill definitely get those pictures up and u can make up ur own mind on if u wana clear coat it like it which cost $5-$10 or spend the big bank on a professional job. possibly up by this weekend.
Old 9-19-08, 14:27   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund the Disgruntled View Post
think clearcoat spray could fix this?
the uploaded pic says that its been deleted or w/e. its not working. if you could please try posting it again id b glad 2 giv my opinion on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement