What does it mean When A car jumps time? - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > Open Forums > General Automotive
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3-6-08, 10:15   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 15 Power: 5

What does it mean When A car jumps time?

I know what can happen, it doesn't run right, But What happen exacly when it jumps time?

1994 Mazda MX6 ls: Stock w/ exhaust.
Stage .5: In the Planing stage.

Alabama Probe & MX6 Owners Club: PM for Details.The long awaited 6
StreetAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3-6-08, 10:38   #2 (permalink)
  Total: 342 Power: 5

I believe a car can jump time when the timing belt slips

THROWBACK EDIT: the old Deloreans used to jump time, just ask Marty McFly

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The man who had nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill
whitenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-6-08, 10:48   #3 (permalink)
RdS
  Total: 513 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenoyz View Post
THROWBACK EDIT: the old Deloreans used to jump time, just ask Marty McFly
too quick.

saw the thread title and had to post a pic of a delorean.

damn you.

Red GE's FTW. GE20L200102537 ?? :'(
RdS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-6-08, 10:53   #4 (permalink)

ya but what happens when it slips just the car dosent run right?

What is the timing belt/chain for?

Old 3-6-08, 10:58   #5 (permalink)
  Total: 342 Power: 5

Advancing timing by a tiny bit (10 degrees) will make a small difference in performance, but may not make the car run badly. A lot more than that and the car will not run well, if at all. The timing belt/chain is used to make sure that the valves open and close at the right time for the movement of the piston to let air/fuel in, activate the spark plug, and let the exhaust out. When it slips, the intake or exhaust valve may open a little too late, or the spark my come a little too late

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The man who had nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill
whitenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-6-08, 18:04   #6 (permalink)
  Total: 184 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAce View Post
ya but what happens when it slips just the car dosent run right?

What is the timing belt/chain for?

Dude, google or go to the library, any engine manual will explain this or any website (if you tried to search) will bring up sites like this:

Howstuffworks "How Car Engines Work"

Read all of this first, then if you still have questions, will see what we can help with at that point.

Good luck and reading!

Last edited by blade666; 3-6-08 at 18:07..
blade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-6-08, 18:35   #7 (permalink)

thanks blade66 for being 8 hours late on the comeback of what I have already read. Whitenoyz already answered my question.

thanks again blade666.

Old 3-6-08, 23:59   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 458 Power: 5

From first hand experience, the KL will run with a slipped belt. My belt slipped and I was still able to drive home 40 miles. The car wouldn't idle, and if I didn't keep it above 2000 RPMs, it would stall. Take off felt like I was trying to take off in third gear. For the five seconds it would idle, it would run incredibly rich, as soon as I gave it some gas, it would peg lean (I have an AEM UEGO). It shook like crazy and sounded like crap. Lukcy for me, our engine isn't interference. All I have to do now is but on a new belt, and replace the pulley that sized.

Hotshot Intake, SSAC Headers, Custom 2.5" Remus Exhaust w/ Test Pipe, HEI w/Blaster 3, SBC TZ Clutch, 15lbs flywheel, K6F FSTB, 19mm AWR Rear Sway Bar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonmx6
purple fuzzy turtles are going to take over the world
The King of Mexico

Shwaykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-7-08, 0:47   #9 (permalink)
  Total: 1763 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwaykid View Post
From first hand experience, the KL will run with a slipped belt. My belt slipped and I was still able to drive home 40 miles. The car wouldn't idle, and if I didn't keep it above 2000 RPMs, it would stall. Take off felt like I was trying to take off in third gear. For the five seconds it would idle, it would run incredibly rich, as soon as I gave it some gas, it would peg lean (I have an AEM UEGO). It shook like crazy and sounded like crap. Lukcy for me, our engine isn't interference. All I have to do now is but on a new belt, and replace the pulley that sized.

depends on how much it slipped 1-2 cogs it will run very badly, 3 or more and it will just die. People often jimmy rig the idle air control screw and throttle screw to keep the car running.

You will notice if its jumped , the exhaust will change tone.. kinda sounds like a truck, lack of power, hard idle, stalls, hard to start..and before it goes you will hear the timeing belt rapping as your driving.. IMO it sounds like there isnt any oil in the heads..
I learned that back with my mx6 after I got a used motor from hughes, I thought the motor just had very bad hlas.. I got a timing light out one day and it wasent anywhere near what it should be, no amount of adjusting the disty could fix it.

KING6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-7-08, 16:35   #10 (permalink)
  Total: 184 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAce View Post
thanks blade66 for being 8 hours late on the comeback of what I have already read. Whitenoyz already answered my question.

thanks again blade666.

Sorry for not being on MX6.com 24/7 to answer questions about basic engine mechanicals.

Before you start you sarcasm, please learn something about cars.
blade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement