Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Mazda 2.3 Engine ... not good !

15K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  STW 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm rebuilding a 2.3 MRZ engine from a rusty 2004 3 i paid $500 for. Big mistake !

This is a Strange engine.
The guy ran it low in oil and spin a rod bearing .

Weird thing, These Rod caps are not machined( where the caps go together).... they are Broken it seems !. The mating surfaces must have been broken apart under pressure after the hole is bored. It makes for a rough random surface that will only go together 1 way.

And Its all aluminum engine and a lot of the bolts are a pain to get out. Broke 2 long 8mm bolts that held the alternaltor.

Also there is NO key in the crank pulley, even though its got ignition pulse wheel on it ! . This pulley drives the Alternator and AC.. WTF ?? If it slips the engine goes out of time and may damage its self.

They put a plastic cover over the engine so you won't see all the rust that develops on all the cheap metal brackets that hold wires and hoses.

But I do like the timing chain (instead of a belt) as it showed no wear even with 350K on it. And It has a Variable intake cam timing that advances by centrifical/hydrolic control at high speed.

The transmission on these cars also gives a lot of trouble (this one has no 3rd gear) . Looking at used 3's many say similar problems.

And the body is so rusty, you wouldn't believe its a 2004.

See less See more
#2 ·
modern cars are not built to last.......

And I have heard a few stories of people doing rod bearings thanks to low oil...I dont know whether the its a problem with the engine. I suspect not, I think its probably more the mind set of the new batch of drivers who just dont check the oil between service intervals, and the service intervals themselves being set for ridiculously high mileage intervals.

I have heard of the breaking technique for rod caps before, it provides a stronger result than smooth cap mating surfaces.

#6 ·
I have an L3-VE engine in storage... sys ran it low on oil, spun a bearing and ruined the VVT system. Exactly like described. I'm planning to rebuild it, some day. First I need to get my FE-DOHC -> F2T-DOHC project running and have a breather too tho.

It has the quirks of a modern alloy-block engine, but it does look like a good engine. Since it's meant to be covered with plastic, it's much more plain looking compared to the eighties' engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.