• 1 Post By Jake Webb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 3-14-17, 22:46 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

My first mx6

Hey guys and gals I just bought a Mazda mx6 GT turbo 1989 and I've heard they can be quite finicky and I was just looking for help with tips and tricks that people know first things first it has an engine tick and I've found it could come from needing an engine flush or it needs a HLA so I'm just looking for some feedback asap thanks
Jason H likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 3-15-17, 7:03

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Power: 5

Congratulations on purchasing an awesome car, pics or it didn't happen! Color? Miles? MTX or ATX? It's good to see some new blood on these forums, especially in the 1g section.

These engines tick a lot (or rather, I've never got mine to shut up). It's just something you get used to. First things first, I'd do your generic new-to-me service- change the oil (20W-50 diesel oil FTW), air filter, spark plugs, coolant, etc. Then do the more in depth things like brakes and struts and see what all she needs before going ham on the upgrades and mods. Some of the easiest upgrades for the 1gen As -cars made before the mid-model revision in '90- are just swapping parts from the 1gen Bs over. Off the top of my head, those parts are the front sway bar (24.2mm tube vs 20mm solid), and the rear strut tower bar and lower tie bar. The Ford Probe is based on the same chassis and the GTs came with a bigger rear sway bar (18mm vs 16mm)

There's a host of information on this site, check out the stickies in all the various subforums.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 3-17-17, 22:42 Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Well it's an ATX and it has 160k which kinda scares me because I don't know much about the car and you use oil that thick that seems a little over kill but idk and I plan on basically doing all new sensor and what not the guy who had it before me live in Cali so it's really clean it has new breaks and calipers and rotors but I have to put a new master cylinder in it I plan on putting in all new sensores and I've been think if I should do a transmission fluid change and I don't mean a flush just a change and put a new filter in it but Idk if I should because I've heard bad things can happen if someone would let me know that would be great the car also has new front axles and a clean title and in cold air intake and new blow off valve and new exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page