Today I did the left side.....and it seemed like nothing was going right...coupled with 30degC temps and about 80% humidity, It was a struggle.
Things started well, getting the axle nut off :
There is the old setup
I removed the knuckle and brake assembly, this is where things started going pear shaped.
I could not removed the drive shaft from the gearbox. After I said in another thread that I have never had a left side shaft get stuck...I jinxed myself, this one was stuck and would not budge. I bent my pry bar trying.
At this point I figured it was possible to leave the inner cup in the gearbox and swap the rest seeing as how it should be the same...but I wasted half an hour working that out.
no pics, covered in grease, not happy, maybe would have embedded the camera in the brick wall.
With the drive shaft problem out of the way it was time to disassemble the strut...no probs there, konis are good in so far as the centre rod has an internal hex which makes it easy to remove the strut top..so I compressed the spring...all too easy.
I stuck the new shock in the vise to get ready to fit all the stuff....I find this is the best way to do it.
I stuck the whole lot together then to realise I forgot the dust boot and bump stop...aaargh....heat was probably affecting my brain.
So strut top back off again to fit the dust boot and bump stop
The new Boge struts had a more annoying attachment, meaning I had to make a tool to stop the rod from spinning while I did up the nut to hold the strut top on....if only all shocks were like konis.
At this point I decided to bolt the new hub and disc in place
In doing so, I discovered that the outer tie rod didn't seem to fit to the knuckle properly as it didnt poke through far enough so the hole for the split pin would be be exposed enough for the split pin.....I vaguely remember something about pulling a knuckle and tie rod from the junkyard and finding that the tie rod had a smaller taper than usual and trying to use the tie rod as a replacement resulted in it being waaay loose...this must have been the knuckle it came off....couldnt find the tie rod to swap on, but I know I have it somewhere.
So I reversed the castle nut, I was lucky the holes lined up and I was able to get a split pin inserted...not ideal, but It'll do for now
Ok...now its time to fit the strut
Dont forget to use the GD bolts, the GC ones are not long enough. Thankfully I have piles of the that stuff, a big box full of Mazda bolts.
I decided to try to fit my goodridge brake lines, with the caliper, thanks to Jesiotrot, the solution to attach the hose the strut with the incorrect ferrule position worked. I tried it a few days ago on the right side, and couldnt work out how it was going to work, I re used the OEM line, but I will swap it out too.
I am just using standard GD calipers (which I have piles of) for now, I have some Subaru Legacy calipers coming, but the guy who I bought them off lives in an area thats currently flooded, so there is nothing going in out out of his town.....I'll put them on when the arrive, so long as theyre not water logged.
I filled the gearbox with oil (too bad I didnt need to take the oil out thanks to the inner drive shaft cup getting stuck) and drove the car out.
The wheels are just temporary for now while I test it out...There is so much toe in, you can see it, wheel alignment needed.....but thats a job for tomorrow, now its time for beer.