Ok, this is a slow process doing maybe 4 hours a week.....
Making the adapter plate, I didnt have space to mock up the whole motor, so I bolted a spare head to my work bench.
I normally wouldn't be in favour of drilling holes in my work bench but in this case it seemed there was no easy way around this problem. The head really needed to be bolted to something heavy so it didnt move about. Without a nice cast iron block to weigh it down the work bench was the next best thing.
So... I took my offcut piece of 1/2" thick steel plate...and I needed to make a template to drill the holes to match the locating pins.
One of the most useful things I ever learned in school when I was about 7, was tracing..... here is how you make a template.
Now just cut along the lines, as for the round holes you can use the back end of a drill bit that has a tapered end and is just bigger than the hole, its hard to describe how to do this if you have never seen it done. I might post a vid if there are requests.
Next mark out the lines on the steel...ok i missed some pics here, here is the steel marked and me drilling away..
I like to use a small pilot so as to avoid tearing the edges off the drill bit. I also chose a 17mm bit as its the closest to the radius of the corners...but one of the cardinal sins is holes that overlap, this makes it very hard to drill.
I should have used 16mm, but I carefully drilled all 4 at roughly the same rate so that the overlap would be less of an issue...trust me if you have done this before you'll know what I mean.
I filed out what was left and cut through between the holes with a hacksaw.
Here is the result
Not too much mismatch note my plate is slightly bigger than the manifold exit, but in this case I didn't want to let it get any bigger, more on that later.
Ok whats next, forget the blue Texta line for the turbine housing, that was just a guess.
To get the real position I knew the turbine housing inlet would just cover the square hole. To make sure I was accurate I needed a way to rotate the housing around the centre line so I could get the right position on the adapter plate.
I found a GD axle nut was almost the right size to do this, I filed down the part that you "stake" so as it was flush with the nut...then I made up an attachment to allow me to put it on the end of a drill (in the absence of a lathe)
Yup it's half a lateral link bolt from a GD with 6 flats filed onto it to allow it to fit into a 1/2" chuck. Two wheel nuts provided tapered surfaces to help centre the nut on the bolt.
I then filed the nut down a little to "about" 45mm so it would just allow the hole in the turbine housing to fit over it
I wrapped the hex part in electrical tape until the nut was an interference fit into the hole
Now I could position the turbo so it would point into the hole in the R2 manifold
I had to grind a bit of the inlet manifold for compressor housing clearance
The other issue is that the IHI VF14 only allows for 6 positions for the compressor outlet. It looks like I will be re drilling and tapping the holes.
I also plan to male up an inlet manifold flange which will be welded to the compressor outlet.
This pic shows how much space I have to play with
More to come, once I get some more time.