Guide to Road Racing - Page 5 - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > Open Forums > General Automotive > Racing Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7-18-06, 15:13   #61 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

im searching the best thing to do first for go race

mx6_93
mx6_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-06, 11:37   #62 (permalink)
  Total: 64 Power: 5

very helpful post
kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-9-07, 20:12   #63 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 180 Power: 0

well written post..... def good for the beginners for sure.
benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-11-07, 0:48   #64 (permalink)

the reason for these sites

this is for parisifal. i like the idea of wat this thread started as. but u run into the same problem as a discussion wit friends. that is that everyone has there own opion. now racing pionters are great cause they are a general basis for others to try and see if it works to there way of driving but everyone drives a little differently and the main key is practice. i would perfer if people would do this on tracks and not street so u dont end up with a bunch of high school kid fatalitys. but u do wat u can. now as for me i mad the mistake of posting some stuff i should have kept to my self but hey thats life. but i know one thing and that is i love to drive and i know my limits. thats for me and my cars. i only know this cause i try to drive there when ever i can. its like the only time in my life when i get relife from my a.d.d. and overthinking and stress cause i have to much to concentrate on to worry bout anything else. like proper corner speed wat i think the guys or gals ahead of me might do hows my engine response wat about my brakes are they getting weak from pushing to hard or just the feel of the road conditions just from the vibrations coming through the steering wheel. but thats me and i think people need to realize that we post these things to expand our knowledge of the subject so b.s. is not needed. but in short parisifal i like the idea and i'm shore it helped the newbs alot not just for driving tips but to fuel there passion for driving wit a high octane grade of info. so here is my personal thanks for your time and input!
JohnE.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-29-07, 19:08   #65 (permalink)
  Total: 12 Power: 5

they do handle pretty good, just needs more power.

Last edited by loudes13; 1-14-08 at 22:01..

allen
'93 MX6 v6
SpecMiata
www.allenskillicorn.com
loudes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 22:31   #66 (permalink)
  Total: 22 Power: 5

nice write up ..i personally been wanting to road race myself . for along time now .
my m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 7:42   #67 (permalink)
  Total: 645 Power: 5

project primer test and tune

playing with my timming
11 psi t3/t4b
video
YouTube - proprimer.wmv

1990 mx6lx 13.5@102.9 on 87shot
1989 white pgt 486whp 543wtq@29psi..dynoed 11-9-13
1991 probe gt 373whp at 24psi
1988 mx6gt 461whp @32psi
1990 mx6lx 348whp@ 18psi slipping clutch
ademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-08, 16:47   #68 (permalink)

simple question parisifal; why do you suggest 15 inch wheels? Ive been trough some posts here and there and i see ryan in a video cornering cones with 17 inch mags. Also , i saw piers14 in ireland who also goes for bigger wheels size. Also, i have been to some time attacks in my region and the difference with my original "sunflower" mags and the 17 inch that i bought after is way bigger in cornering and grip.

another question; Why 35 psi front and 30 psi back? I asked myself the same question in the track and 30psi grips a lot better. 35 psi makes your rubber way too hard.... i gained myself 2 secs less in my lap because of that.

anyways, it is just some questions.

the thread(i first read about it today...) is quite usefull. I like it!!
molotov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-1-09, 22:06   #69 (permalink)
  Total: 14 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
simple question parisifal; why do you suggest 15 inch wheels? Ive been trough some posts here and there and i see ryan in a video cornering cones with 17 inch mags. Also , i saw piers14 in ireland who also goes for bigger wheels size. Also, i have been to some time attacks in my region and the difference with my original "sunflower" mags and the 17 inch that i bought after is way bigger in cornering and grip.

another question; Why 35 psi front and 30 psi back? I asked myself the same question in the track and 30psi grips a lot better. 35 psi makes your rubber way too hard.... i gained myself 2 secs less in my lap because of that.

anyways, it is just some questions.

the thread(i first read about it today...) is quite usefull. I like it!!
Mx6 suspension is meant to deal with 15-16 inch wheels and if you want to go bigger you have to consider the suspension geometry. Also unless you get forged wheels, they will be significantly heavy and though you might feel more grip you are actually going slower. Bigger tire will actually make you go slower on straightaways and your peak MPH will be lower, costing you time.

As for tire PSI, I'm not too sure on the FWD based car and also depends on what tire you run. I run 35 all the way around, and play it around. But I do not go any higher or lower then 32 psi. After the lapping session it easily climes 10+ psi on my tire so I see like 44 PSI sometimes. I try to aim 40-42 PSI hot as I was told by some tire gurus and from Toyo reps(I run toyo RA1 R-comps, an will be switching to Nitto nt01's this summer)

I'm not an expert by all means so I might have incorrect info here. Feel free to correct me anytime.

You guys have fun at the track and always follow the rule and be respectful
Akisan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-2-09, 15:06   #70 (permalink)
I knows sumpthin

Total: 934 Power: 5

molotov, a good rule of thumb to follow is to use the widest tire on the widest rim allowed within your class without compromising gearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molotov View Post
A large portion of the difference you felt was because of the shorter, stiffer sidewall of the 17's. The rest was likely because the 17" was just a better tire compared to the 15's.

I'd also bet the 17" tire is wider.

I run 17x8 because it allows me to put the most rubber under the car on the widest rim my class allows. I run a 235/40/17 because it is the best compromise between tire width and it's affect on gearing.

If I had my way, I would run 15 or 16x8" rims...HOWEVER nobody makes a competitive 235 or 245 width 15 or 16" street tire.

Quote:
Are you SURE it was tire pressure, or did you just drive better?

Your optimal tire pressures will depend on several factors, the tire, width of the rim it's on, your suspension/alignment setup, the course and the day.

Info on tire pressures:
Tire Pressure Guide - Tech - Sport Compact Car Magazine

Start with chalk, or shoe polish on the shoulders of your tire. Start high on pressure. Optimal pressure will allow the tire to roll over all the way to the shoulder without going beyond.

At some point that may stop working as it did for me when I went into STX. I started using a pyrometer to measure the temperature of the inside, middle and outside of the tires to not only set pressure, but camber as well.

Ryan

Form Follows Function. If it doesn't work, get it the f--- out.
A RaceCar Named Carmen
MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] Enkei 17x9 RPF1 [] Toyo R1R [] Hawk HP+ [] Schroth [] Corbeau [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-20-09, 0:28   #71 (permalink)
  Total: 18 Power: 5

thanks!

karma!
NK1993MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-1-09, 23:16   #72 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

awesome write up dude props and thanks for the advice and stuff
Crux7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 8:49   #73 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

I can learn a lot just by reading all these stuff. thanks guys.
bcviana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement