Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

My Spoiler Idea

3K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  Lambera 
#1 ·
A corrado has a lip spoiler that raises at 45mph and has a switch that you can use to raise it. So I would get the 626 or 6 lip and then the hardware off a corrado. So what do you think? If you havent seen the raddo it only goes up a few inches.

#6 ·
Yeah. It's gotta take the signal for the speed somewhere = might not be just wire in device.

Mici

#7 · (Edited)
Well a very good buddy of mine has a corrado and thus I can look at it before I ever try anything. Yes this would require alot of work. First Ill get a used trunk lid. I dont want to tear into mine. Im sure Ill have to modify the under side of it because of the extra metal that cover the lock. As for sealing it Ill look at the corrado and see how its done on there. But im thinking something like how sunroofs are drained. I dont believe there is a motor works on a pressure system. Not 100% sure on that I haven began looking to see how its done yet just an idea for now. As for the switch it works just like a window switch and can be put up all the way.

I am going to use this thread to compile all my data,research,progress, and picutres.

http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/vw/Electrical/Change_Spoiler_Speed

#9 ·
Thanks, signed up on a couple of large vw forums with good corrado support. Going to starting gathering the parts for it. They are extremly rare around here and there are none in the junk yards. I dont think I would have choosen to do this if I didnt have a corrado right here to look at. This will be cool if it works out. Will see.

#11 · (Edited)
edit: took img out

Well there is the corrado lip. I am thinking of not using the 626 lip after looking at it more closely. I might fiber glass a custom one. The thing about the corrado is the where the lip goes its grooved so that it fits into the hatch. I could cut the stock trunk and re weld it so that it has a grove. Then use a corrado spoiler thats modified to fit. Another option would be to get ahold of the mazda 6 lip.

I am getting really bad responses from the VW forums. Guess I will have to drive over to my buddies and take a look. Thanks for letting me talk all this out. Now that I am thinking about it I want to go with the 6 lip dont feel like taking on the much body work.

#14 ·
AAlonzo said:
my question would be... why? spoilers would do jack to a fwd car
No reason really, its in the appearance mods section, so thats the reason. Just an appearance mod :shrug: Now if it was in the other performance section, I would agree with you on the question.

Yeah, the 6's lip looks nice. I would love to see this done man, I love custom mods.

-Sean

#15 ·
The same reason the corrado does it, and its a fwd also. Its just some thing thats fun and look really nice during acceleration. Also it would make my car unique. Its not like it raises a foot into the air like rice wings, just a few inches.

#16 ·
I suppose the classic example of this mod would be the old porsche 911's. That would be a great mod... But I think there would be a fair bit more involved than you have mentioned so far... You could just run it off a switch instead of wiring the speed system in and it might be a little easier that way.

Either way goodluck :)

#17 ·
getting this too be speed sensitive would be very complicated, just hooking it up to a switch wouldnt be too hard, well except for the getting the other spoiler to fit on the corrado hardware. my friend has a jetta that he bought a corrado spoiler for it, getting it to be speed sensitive was a VERY complicated matter and he ended up settling just for the switch up and down, but it is fun to play with it at a stoplight and watch the people behind you.

#18 ·
I agree... If you do get it working... someone attempt the mercedes SLk kompressor roof on the mx6 :D. Just try go for the switch, if it all goes according to plan you could try work the speed adjustment in later on down the track.

#20 ·
Better pics

little update: I am in contact with two differant sellers. They both have every part I need. One of the guys cut the whole bottom half of the hatch for me. First guy said he want 250 shipped for everything. See if I can get this other guy to go lower. If I cant figure out the sending unit then I am going to just wire it to a switch. Few photos for any one that cares :zzz:

#22 ·
I am 100% going through with this. Should have all the parts shipped here next week. I have already started to prep the trunk for it. I have a client "Alpha Welding and Design". So all my welding and plasma cutting will be done for free.

#24 ·
cheerios165 said:
getting this too be speed sensitive would be very complicated, just hooking it up to a switch wouldnt be too hard, well except for the getting the other spoiler to fit on the corrado hardware. my friend has a jetta that he bought a corrado spoiler for it, getting it to be speed sensitive was a VERY complicated matter and he ended up settling just for the switch up and down, but it is fun to play with it at a stoplight and watch the people behind you.
That's not that hard ;)

Lambera: There's a speed sensor on the output shaft, what you need to do is, get a voltmeter and find out what AC signal (frequency) does the sensor send to the speedometer at the speed you want the spoiler to goes up, and the speed when it goes down. Then get a actuator to tragger the spoiler motor up and down :)

#25 ·
MazdaMX6 said:
That's not that hard ;)

Lambera: There's a speed sensor on the output shaft, what you need to do is, get a voltmeter and find out what AC signal (frequency) does the sensor send to the speedometer at the speed you want the spoiler to goes up, and the speed when it goes down. Then get a actuator to tragger the spoiler motor up and down :)
the corrado spoiler should come with a module for speed sensitivity and im guessing that the speed signal from the mx6 wouldnt be compatible with the crazy german made corrado module, especially since wiring with another vw is so complicated. i can get you pics of that spoiler on my friends 95 jetta it looks much nicer than on the mkII jetta.

#26 ·
cheerios165 said:
the corrado spoiler should come with a module for speed sensitivity and im guessing that the speed signal from the mx6 wouldnt be compatible with the crazy german made corrado module, especially since wiring with another vw is so complicated. i can get you pics of that spoiler on my friends 95 jetta it looks much nicer than on the mkII jetta.
He can't use the module from the corrado, he need to make a module with the new frequency he measure from the speed sensor, it'll be similar to the corrado, but tragger by different frequency :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.