Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Soon to be Lowest Mileage GT (56k have a beer or 12)

9K views 47 replies 23 participants last post by  tyler886 
#1 · (Edited)
Went down to Schnectady, NY to pick up this GT off ebay last Sunday. 58,768 original miles on it! Been garaged its whole life, until the 2nd owner put it outside recently because of a new car purchase. Still has original registration in the glove box along with owners and warranty manuals!

The car is loaded, option wise. Everything from Factory CD:

To ABS:

To factory security system:

Only option it doesnt have is 4WS, as far as I know.

Some random pics, not the best because the lighting inside sucked:

I took a couple pics of the areas notorious for rotting out here in the Rust Belt:

Quite possibly the only virgin pinch seam :lol: :

The only real downfall of the car:

It can be pulled out, but the spidering of paint is something I'll live with until I'm done with school and can easily come up with $4k for a quality paint job.

Overall I cant be any happier with it (minus the rear dent). Its probably the cleanest GT I'll ever come across thats not on the other side of the country.

I'm not too sure what I want to do with it right now. If I pull the engine to put my rebuilt one in, I'll be pushing it in and out every night until the engine/5speed swap/IC piping/other shit is all done. And winter is coming up soon. I think I'll just leave it alone through winter, and get absolutely every part I want bought and ready for installation. I may end up storing it in a garage if I can find one within my budget.

I'll keep this thread updated whenever I make any kind of progress on it.

-Tyler

See less See more
#7 ·
Went down to Schnectady, NY to pick up this GT off ebay last Sunday. 58,768 original miles on it! Been garaged its whole life, until the 2nd owner put it outside recently because of a new car purchase. Still has original registration in the glove box along with owners and warranty manuals!

I'll keep this thread updated whenever I make any kind of progress on it.

-Tyler
i went to a mazda dealer to see if they could locate a security system/remote for my car, and i was told Mazad never made one and that the 626/mx6 didnt have one as a factory option. but do u have a part number to see if i can find one.

oh and please keep us updated, looks like you got an awesome deal.

#8 ·
Sick car. You're one lucky SOB. I'd actually love to mess around with an ATX GT, something different. Performance cant really be all that bad.

Oh and that security system is most definitely aftermarket. Factory security didnt use a siren and shock sensor.

#11 ·
nice ride. our cars did have a security system but i have yet to see one in person.

#14 ·
I found a 91 LX in the yard a couple weeks ago with 52k on it. i personally rack up miles. i got my mx3 with 101k and its at 132k and climbing now. considering its been driven a few hundred miles w/o a turbo, thats pretty good i keep it fixed enough to drive it :lol:

nice find man, enjoy :tup:

#15 · (Edited)
It wont be ATX for long, it'll all be swapped out. I figured that was the stcok security sensors, seeing as I have the "Security" light in the dash that lights when the hood or trunk is popped, where the 2 switches are for the security.

Reason I got it for so cheap is because it needs a headgasket. No reason for replacing it and using that engine, seeing as I dont know if its ever been overheated severly or not. I'll pull it and maybe throw in a rebuild kit for a backup longblock. Included in the ebay auction was an engine and ATX for the GT though!

-Tyler

#18 ·
Damn lucky find, definalty the cleanest 1st gen from the east coast. keep it clean dude.

It wont be ATX for long, it'll all be swapped out. I figured that was the stcok security sensors, seeing as I have the "Security" light in the dash that lights when the hood or trunk is popped, where the 2 switches are for the security.
i have that securty light, so i thought that i might be able to order a remote from mazda bu i guess not.

#16 · (Edited)

That is not the factory security system. The factory security system was not a separate box - it was integrated into the CPU, which is a box that plugs in above the fusebox under the dash. Same box controls the interior light dimming, overboost alarm, and such, just some have the added functionality of the alarm. I'm not sure what is in your picture, probably a dealer installed aftermarket security system? Certainly not "factory". I think the previous owner doesn't know any better. My 91GT had the factory security and it had no such cheesy looking box.

i went to a mazda dealer to see if they could locate a security system/remote for my car, and i was told Mazad never made one and that the 626/mx6 didnt have one as a factory option. but do u have a part number to see if i can find one.
The cars most certainly had a factory security system, but it is not a single box or a single part number that you would need to order. It also did not have a remote.... you armed the system by simply locking the driver's door from the inside. It requires a few different wiring harness accessories and is again, integrated into a box you already have above the under-dash fusebox that controls the interior lights, etc. So adding the factory security would not be a plug-and-play deal unless you got multiple parts and are good with the factory wiring diagrams.

#20 ·
wow....thats just plain sad!! My 89 with close to 300,000km's on it now looks that way!
My hood is fine (and origional), the unibobody rails are slightly raised where there seamed like yours in the picture.....
The only thing I had to do, was to re-do my rear brake lines, and fuel lines, as it sat on a cold concrete floor for 3 years, and they got a little punky.

Its a shame that there are so many poor mx6's around. I would have thought there would be nicer ones through out the US, yes I know that the snow belt cars are gonna be rough! I have a 88 too thats been used through the winter's here, and I'm doing the same with it, till its one with the earth!

Anyways....AWESOME CAR MAN!!!!!!!!
I love that cd player.....
And yes that car is very clean........ All I can say is oil the hell out of that car man!! Even if you don't winter drive it, just from condensation the metal will start to rust

#24 ·
You call that clean!? (no offense intended)
I see some significant surface rust and your tie rod ends are NASTY looking. I guess mine must be IMMACULATE comapred to yours. Perhaps that is indicative of the east coast tho... I will post some pics of the undercarriage soon if you guys wanna see "clean". (and mine IS a 4ws, heheh)

And that is not a factory alarm as someone else posted. That is s sensor relay that was commonly installed with a Viper alarm system. I have one with similar boxen but they are under the dash where they belong and not in the hot engine bay.

#25 ·
AMD said:
thats where I live, should have come to visit!
Certainly is a nice area, guy I picked ip the car off probably lived in a million dollar home.

probinator said:
it needs a chip now...:tup:
It'll have more than that ;)

Jake said:
I see some significant surface rust and your tie rod ends are NASTY looking.
You live in Texas, your car doesnt count :p I'm sure any other New Englander can attest that this car is far cleaner than theirs. RI is said to be the place with the shittiest roads with most rediculous amounts of salt used.

-Tyler

#26 ·
You live in Texas, your car doesnt count :p I'm sure any other New Englander can attest that this car is far cleaner than theirs. RI is said to be the place with the [shizzle]tiest roads with most rediculous amounts of salt used.

-Tyler
See thats why I wrote what I did........
since I know what its like to have a car that has been in salt, dirt, calcium, and all the other crap they throw at the roads in the winter time!

Its like trying to find a clean underbody "fox" Mustang.
Like I'm looking for now :rolleyes:

I did have one, but sitting in the garage made it....well.....umm.....
a POS, just like the one I sent to the scrap yard before this one!

#27 ·
Wow that is nice! Great find. Keep that motor, replace the head gasket and see what happens. If it's solid, you've got a 50k mile engine...if not, you're only out a head gasket.

It's funny how I mention that, seeing as the car I got had the head taken apart and put back on..hadn't ran in 2 years and I swapped it out for my other motor.

Awesome car, though!! Wanna part with that cd player? :p

#29 ·
Seeing as the headgaskets on these cars take all of 20 minutes to do, I'm thinking about taking the spare HG I have and just putting it on for now so the car can run for over 2 minutes without killing people from smoking.

-Tyler

#32 ·
Theres a good chance the head is warped beyond the limit of .004", which is why I'm hesitant to even pull a lift the head and insert new gasket "fix". But, once the engines out I'll disassemble it and straight edge the head to see if its OK or not.

-Tyler

#42 ·
Theres a good chance the head is warped beyond the limit of .004", which is why I'm hesitant to even pull a lift the head and insert new gasket "fix". But, once the engines out I'll disassemble it and straight edge the head to see if its OK or not.

-Tyler
A good machine shop should be able to straighten the head if it is warped too much out of spec. This was a common problem on straight sixes I used to work on. Do the right machine work and properly reassemble the engine with quality gaskets and you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.