Do I need to apply clearcoat to my paint - Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum
Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum User Control Panel

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Mazda MX6 Forums: MX6 Forum > Regional Forums > United Kingdom & Ireland
Register Home Forum Active Topics Garage Garage Photo Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans

Mx6.com is the premier Mazda MX6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6-25-09, 7:28   #1 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 0

Do I need to apply clearcoat to my paint

Hi all quite new to this forium, anyway I repaired my bumper and resprayed my mx6 Briiliant black which I got mixed at Halfords with the paint code pz which I got off my car door sticker.

Anyway the paint looks ok but does not look as shiny. I looked up the paint codes up on the mx6 site which showed the codes below:

PX - Brilliant Black
PZ - Brilliant Black Clearcoat

Basicaly in Halfords the code pz was down as Brlliant Black and not Brilliant black clearcoat.

My question is as my code pz = brilliant black clearcoat does this mean I need to add clearcote and will this improve the shine and make it look better. Dont think they sell clearcoat in Halfords so if anyone got any tips on where to buy it and how to apply it that would be great.

Thanks all in advance
johnmoore84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6-25-09, 9:06   #2 (permalink)

Total: 45 Power: 5

Hi John, welcome to our strange little world.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with an answer.

Mark
MX6 addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-25-09, 9:19   #3 (permalink)
  Total: 18 Power: 5

Hi John,

I can't give you an answer to your problem as I'm not an expert, but if you'll forgive the WAY off-topic nature of my post, can I ask if you're a regular(ish) poster on the eBay powerseller forum?

Welcome to the forum, it's well worth it.

Rob
MazdaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-25-09, 9:44   #4 (permalink)

Hi Mazda Rob, yes I am a regular user of the ebay powerseller forum take it the name gave it away. Small world. you got a mx-6 i take it then, iv just resprayed my bumper so am after a little advise.

John
Old 6-25-09, 10:17   #5 (permalink)

Just to fill you in Rob I have met John and sold him some bits.
I sent him some photo's of MX6Steve's car with the body kit. If Steve come's on I'm sure he can point John on the right direction.

Mark
Old 6-25-09, 12:36   #6 (permalink)
Banned
  Total: 67 Power: 0

Hi John.

There will be a difference. The brilliant black colour will have less 'lustre' to it, and as you say, won't be as shiny.

I suggest you write a complaint to HalFRAUDS and get them to sort your bumper out for you in the colour you requested. I will never buy from Halfrauds.

Ben.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-25-09, 13:46   #7 (permalink)
  Total: 18 Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoore84 View Post
Hi Mazda Rob, yes I am a regular user of the ebay powerseller forum take it the name gave it away. Small world. you got a mx-6 i take it then, iv just resprayed my bumper so am after a little advise.

John
I thought I recognised it, yes Not so regular on there these days. I have a silver MX6, 97 on an R plate.

This is the best place for advice, I've gained a lot of knowledge from posters here.

Rob
MazdaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-26-09, 2:07   #8 (permalink)
  Total: 30 Power: 5

How did you paint it? Is it just spray cans or proper paint? Did you do prep the bumper etc?

Black is notoriously hard to get right, if you didnt apply it correctly then no amount of clearcoat will make it shine. Did you mop it with G3 compound? this made a HUGE difference to our black car, ask Gerry.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I've taken people's money, without delivering goods. I've lied about it, too! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ME!
windy_mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-27-09, 4:52   #9 (permalink)

Hi Windy-mx6, basically I sanded down the bumper and got it nice and smooth and then sprayed a couple of coats of primer and then got the paint mixed in spray cans at Halfords and then applied the paint.

Since a posted this question I have applied more coats of paint and it is alot more shiny and a simular colour now but still doesnt have the same shine.

To give you an idea on the original paint work I can see my reflection quite clear simular to a mirror.

On the new paint work I can now see my reflection but its more fuzzy but still quite shiny and does reflect quite well.

I have been researching clearcote and it seems that it is a type of laqure where you mixed a clear paint with a hardener and the spray a few coats of this on.

Regards John
Old 6-27-09, 10:12   #10 (permalink)

Hi mate, did you spray it indoors or outdoors? Did you wet and dry the primer 1st or just spray over it? The prep work and application is the most important thing with paintwork not the paint itself. You could put 20 coats on and it wont look any better if you havent applied it well in the 1st place.

Usually if the paint isnt baked on, or applied to a hot surface then it will turn out dull. MX6_Steve sprayed his whole car outdoors but that was with 2 pack paint and proper equipment and he did a day of prepwork + it was a scorching hot day. His paint finish was like factory, very high standard.

An accident repair place would proberbly charge £30-40 to prep and paint a bumper if you ask nicely so you could ask around if it doesnt work out.

[COLOR="Yellow"]I've taken people's money, without delivering goods. I've lied about it, too! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ME!
Old 6-30-09, 17:19   #11 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

does the coat of paint have a finsh that sort of looks like the skin of an orange
you will usally get this out of cans due to the low amount of thinners
the way i spray is i do a thick coat of base colour whcih in your case is black (which was the same the same as mine) and then start adding more thinners which brings out the shine

as you cant do this with cans you cant get the same siny finish as the rest of car

getting back to the orange skins effect if this is the case a would build up the coats some more and then flatten the paint down with 1200 wet and dry to get the paint all one level and then use g3 like windy said to polish

hope this helps
mx6steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-7-09, 16:59   #12 (permalink)
  Total: 10 Power: 5

paint is a bit like cutting hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoore84 View Post
Hi Windy-mx6, basically I sanded down the bumper and got it nice and smooth and then sprayed a couple of coats of primer and then got the paint mixed in spray cans at Halfords and then applied the paint.

Since a posted this question I have applied more coats of paint and it is alot more shiny and a simular colour now but still doesnt have the same shine.

To give you an idea on the original paint work I can see my reflection quite clear simular to a mirror.

On the new paint work I can now see my reflection but its more fuzzy but still quite shiny and does reflect quite well.

I have been researching clearcote and it seems that it is a type of laqure where you mixed a clear paint with a hardener and the spray a few coats of this on.

Regards John
Seems like everyone's trying to help so why not me. Unless you know what you're doing and have the right facilities you can't expect to be able to replicate the original paint finish provided by the manufacturer or paint shop. It sounds like you've got pretty close so fair play to you. From what you have described you've done and what you've done it with I think you should be happy. Also like a bad haircut you wont be able to tell the difference in about 3 weeks when you get a few polishing scratches. The clearcoat you're talking about is part of a two stage system where the colour is the first coat applied (the base coat) and is flat, then a clearcoat is applied and is a clear gloss finish. Or you can use straight 2-pack which doesn't require a clearcoat and is called 2-pack as you mix a paint colour with a hardner at a ratio of 2:1 to 10% thinners. Your paint from halfords doesn't require a clearcoat and in any case it wont adhere too well unless you apply it within a couple of hours of the colour coat so don't risk losing what you've got. Ever seen a car with laquer peeling off? well that's paint that's applied without knowledge of paint systems. Hope this helps. P.S I've painted professionaly
rapidritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-8-09, 1:34   #13 (permalink)

Well here’s a suggestion.

Painting is one of the things that we don’t have any real ‘how to go about it’ and it’s one that most members would probably like to have a go at, I know I would with all the spare car body bits I have lying around.

We have seen what MX6Steve has achieved on his front garden and now Ritchie tells us he has experience in painting.

If the two of you (and any others for that matter, as long as you know what you are talking about) could come up with a ‘how to have a go’ post, i.e. how to prep the body, what to use (wet and dry/ sand paper grades), what to look out for (body imperfections etc), how many times to rub down, what equipment (considering you can buy compressors for £60ish nowadays), can it be done with cans?, what will the finish first look like, how do you get that ‘showroom’ shine, can you get a ‘showroom’ shine? Etc, I’m sure we would all find it of interest.

Just a suggestion

Mark
Old 7-9-09, 14:45   #14 (permalink)
  Total: 13 Power: 5

when i first started when i was 15 this manual helped me alot to learn and pick up the basics

http://www.pearsy.co.uk/articles/carsprays.pdf

a good read
hope this helps some people
mx6steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-9-09, 15:31   #15 (permalink)

nice one Steve, great for beginners, lots of useful info worthy of a sticky I would think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement