Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

UPOC

1M views 13K replies 80 participants last post by  Ragnarock01 
#1 ·
What happened to the UT thread?

Reactions: Jason
#1,952 · (Edited)
ExtremeJDK said:
Bill, the crossmember still needs to be cut appearently and kind of re-fabricated, but that looks like a 30 minute job. Everyone complains about headers and I honeslty didn't think it was very hard ... so I'm betting I can get the entire install done over a weekend if I have all the parts.

Yeah, I was going to use Richard's garage and that punkazz keeps giving me stupid excuses about why my damn suspension isn't here yet!!!
Yup, I know all about the crossmember thing. That didn't sound to hard to me. Fabricating exhuast pipes to fit just right did. Seems like that in itself would take the better part of the weekend if you had all the tools and prebent tubeing and a good welder.

I'd still like to get my springs in this Saturday. I guess maybe I'll have to bother Ryan again. ;)

Ah and my headers use the same collector that the turbo pipes do! All I'd have to do is drop the y pipe, and bolt up the turbo exaust! :tup:

#1,953 ·
So, I think my age is showing. I saw a mx3 the other day, ATX... My first thought was Hmmm. kl03 turbo with ATX in a mx3, that'd be fun! When ATXs are acceptable, you know your getting old. :(

#1,954 ·
Fun, except when you have to fit it all in that teeny engine bay with an automatic trans...yikes...but were I to build a straight up drag car it would have a Level 10 automatic tranny, $3k with limited slip $750. Much more consistent down the 1/4, just like the big boys in sub 10 second Supra's and Muscle cars/F-Bodies. :)

Laters
Ryan

#1,956 ·
I would like to get my springs and struts put in this weekend too. Anyway I could convince someone to help me out?
Ryan, I also need your help in making these headers work. The guy I bought them from says that his supplier doesn't have anything that will work with that. What I don't understand is why they would have an out for the tube if one doesn't exist for it.
Anyway, I have a few ideas. Ryan, will you be available sometime this weekend to listen to them and tell me what you think. They involve welding; a subject that I am not familiar with.

Nick

#1,957 ·
Where did you get your headers? Do you have the item number? How much were they?
Notice here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Probe-GT-2-5L-Mazda-Mx3-Mx6-Probe-V6-Race-Headers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ8042673504QQrdZ1
Shows the egr tube.
And here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Header-Exhaust-PROBE-MAZDA-MX6-2-5L-93-94-95-96-97_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33632QQitemZ8041452227QQrdZ1
And even here.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazd...ewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQitemZ8042278344QQrdZ1
Without that tube, you'll need to just cap it off with a bolt on the headers, and leave the EGR just open. It will suck in air, just not exhaust. It should still funtion ok without a check engine light I would think.

#1,958 · (Edited)
Don't worry Nick, Josh will be in the same boat soon. His turbo pipes didn't show the tube either. Butthen again, his is obdI.

Hey, can someone tell me what is with the Karma stuff? It shows I have 40 points... Is that good or bad?
I am familiar with the whole karma idea in life, but what does it meen on the board?

#1,959 ·
Do you think that I should rig something so that the air the EGR sucks in is flitered? Does that even matter?
Actually, I didn't get the SS headers, I got the actual OBX ones. And like I said, OBX says they don't even make a tube for that application.
Anyway, what about a springs party this weekend Bill? I help you out, you help me out. What do you think?

Nick

#1,960 ·
I think I'm not down with the all day thing. I may wait for Josh anyway, cus I sure want to see rich boys pad. Nick, if your 95 is obdI, It wont matter, you can plug the egr. If it is OBDII, you will need to have air flow and I dont' think you'll see a problem with leaving it open to unfiltered air. The 95's were both OBDI and OBDII.

On a side note... WTF?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-TURBO-charged-2-5l-v6-mazda-mx6-mx-6-probe-gt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8043571625QQrdZ1

And OMG! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-93-97-Ford-Probe-GT-Mazda-MX6-Turbo-manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8042668649QQrdZ1
$330.00 shippped now, with egr tube and gaskets!!
I see a price war coming! :D Oh yeah

#1,961 ·
Ok, bad news. I just tried to plug the hole with a brass plug. Now it has a problem ideling. I think that the hose needs to be there. This is bad news considering that I have no idea how I am going to make this hose work.
It sounds like there is a leak in the rear. I don't know if it is because of the poorly fitting plug or something else. I could really use some technical expertise here. I took it into a mechanic and he told me that he didn't want to waste his time chasing problems. Some business man he is. Anyway.
Is anyone available to help me out here. I am pulling my hair out over this damn car.

Nick

#1,962 ·
Josh, I won't say anything on the URSCCA forums, but big deal...I can get close to that price any time at Phantom. Three runs even WITH a wideband were $85. When I finally get a dyno day set up for us expect around $40 for two runs. But still it is very cool that he'll go out there for it, that said I understand why it does cost a good bit more...I'm sure driving 90 miles uses a bit of diesel in that puppy ;)

Nick, you CANNOT just leave the EGR open on either end, a huge exhaust leak for obvious reasons, but if you leave the EGR valve open, every time the computer commands it open you'll suddenly have a LARGE vacuum leak and the car would likely die. The solution being either find a way to make the pipe meet up with the valve, or crimp it off and weld it somehwere in the middle. It wouldn't be easy to accomplish as I'd have to have the car here and take it back apart to be able to weld the ends. But you certainly can't just have an open end of the valve...

And I don't blame the mechanic for not wanting to deal with it. There's LOTS of cars we turn away for similar reasons, particularly if we were to charge actual labor time on some of these problems we'd just piss everybody off. If we didn't charge actual labor time, we wouldn't make any money because we'd be bypassing time to work on cars that actually make us money.

I won't be able to help you much for a while, too wrapped up in getting the door on Kitty fixed, Probe GT in the garage finished, and I've got to ski Sat and Sunday for the next few weeks to make up some days....which makes getting the paint/body done on the two cars even more of a pain...:rolleyes:

But I'm always good for advice :)

Bill will be using my house to do his springs one day. Talk to him and maybe he'll help you.

Laters
Ryan

#1,963 ·
well I got all the parts for the boost gauge install...I couldn't find hardly ANDY 1/8" stuff at home depot soooo.... 1/4" brass tee, two 1/4" to 1/8" hose adapters, and a foot of 5/32" fuel hose at home depot, ran me about $8 (eek!)
but now I get to go test it out:) buh bye for now...

#1,966 ·
Nick, you didn't mention if the car was obdI or OBDII...
I may still go over to Ryan's house to do my springs this Saturday. I'll only have a couple hours so I won't be able to help you get your springs and struts on. If you bring them by, I can help you put the springs on the struts, then mounting them would be pretty easy for you to do. I'll probably be at Ryan's house around 10am till around 12.

Zach, I've read that the Home depot boost controlers were prone to spikes and are not very reliable. At a pet store you can find a little brass air valve, they are a little better, a boost controler is what you really want.

#1,967 ·
Bill, what time are you planning on doing your suspension? It looks mine are in yet which really sucks becuase I leave town next week and I will have like 1 free day to try and get them installed before my first event. The guy at least finally wrote me back though. :(

Ryan I can bring the spings I have up and you can decide if you want them and then throw them on if you want.

#1,968 ·
I'm going be to Ryan's house by 10am. I tried talking the skii bumb out of goin skiing tomorrow... it didn't work.

#1,969 ·
He ski's for work doesn't he?
Anyway. I am quite sure that it is an OBDII. Unfortunately. I think I may be able to rig the OEM hose to work with this. I have a tubing bender, all I need is a bench mounted vice and I can get it done. I am confident that I can make the angles that I need. The only thing is that I will have to jack the car up and take off the crossmember in order to get back up there... I think. I wish one of you gurus were available to look at this. Maybe I will swing by and help you with your springs, that way you will get done earlier than you thought and might have a minute to peek at the exhaust on the bitch.
Let me know.

Nick

#1,970 ·
Nick, I'll be happy to look at it. I was just waiting to hear if it was OBDII or I. I ok'd it with Ryan, so bring it by, I'll see what I can help you with.

Ryan do you have an impact gun? I know you dont' have a air one, can't recall if you had an electric on.

#1,972 ·
Nick, your car rides awesome:) the way it's running weird is probably because of your egr, but I don't know why you would have the antilock brake on. I went on a test drive, and it felt a little stiffer than stock, but not by much. definitely a nice feel.
you could always put your ozone-savi...ooops, i mean EGR (;))valve back in and drill some bungs into your headers and put the EGR back in...

Bill, I have a boost controller from ryan, it's crappy, but not too bad, and I have the gauge for telling how much boost it is. the gauge doesn't affect the boost :p

anyway, rear struts are a bitch. or i guess, the interior is. on the rear right, whoever did the struts last put a bolt in backwards, so we had to take the caliper off to get the bolt out. I feel like I could do struts and springs myself pretty easily. I guess it helps having a big spring compressor, lol.
Nick, I hope you like it. get rid of your fart can:)

#1,973 · (Edited)
hey, what's up with the WRX turbos? it's a tdo4l (sounds like a mitsu turbo). how big is that? I'm thinking for leslies car, something inexpensive that will show noticable improvements...for $100 shipped, I think it would be a pretty nice upgrade.
ryan, would you know? I don't think it's an IHI turbo, and it isn't a VF series, so it might suck :rolls eyes:
atleast it's oil AND water cooled, right, ryan?:)

#1,974 ·
chino9656 said:
Nick, your car rides awesome:) the way it's running weird is probably because of your egr, but I don't know why you would have the antilock brake on.
The antilock break light is on because the wires got messed up and I have to trace it to rind where they go. Maybe I can use Bills car as an example and follow his wires to find where they are supposed to hook up.

chino9656 said:
you could always put your ozone-savi...ooops, i mean EGR (;))valve back in and drill some bungs into your headers and put the EGR back in...
The EGR is still there, it is just not hooked up to the rear header at the moment. Hoping to fix that problem in the morning.

chino9656 said:
get rid of your fart can:)
Working on that. I am looking to buy a muffler from ebay soon and have a shop weld it on.

#1,975 ·
Damn you guys are chatty!! :p

Mazdaman, Tokico's kick ass. Not the best available, but very good, paired with proper spring rates you could have a very good handling car. If you're thinking of your 1G for autocross, I'd maybe look into 300lb/in front and 350lb/in rear but nothing higher than that, they're not valved to effectively handle much more from my research. If you want to know more PM me.

Zach...gonna blow a turbo :D ANd yes water cooled [Zerbet] :p

Bill, Josh can understand this...I drive therefore I am...have to AutoCross...I have to Ski ;) And unfortunately I don't have an Impact gun of any kind...not just yet...

Josh, I will likely want them...I'm honestly getting sick of waiting for the Tiens...Have money just waiting for them....

Nick...What the hell is wrong with that muffler? I think it sounds just fine? It's less Raspy than Kitty's??? I think it sounds nicely between Kitty's and Bill's M?? Why is it so bad?? Not to mention what's on there now IS and Ebay muffler...you won't be getting much different....

As for the EGR, if that car is a '95 it's OBDI, in which case you can usually get away with the EGR tube being crimped off. Were it OBD II, no way...He he, just tonight I unplugged the EGR on Kitty...just the vacuum line to it though.

Speaking of Kitty, I feel like an idiot...After dinking around with her for two freaking hours trying to get the rough idle issue figured out, running codes, re-setting, testing sensors, cleaned the upper IM and throttle boddy really well, re-checked timing and re-set the idle...ect ect ect...Intake manifold leak. Last fucking thing I thought to try. Sprayed starter fluid around the gaskets, sure as shit, idled up. Looks like I'll be getting Pheno Spacers for her quite soon...a lean cylinder is the last thing I want to have...

Of course this also explains slightly poor fuel mileage. With a vacuum leak Oxygen sensors see a lean condition and so the PCM commands a more fuel to be injected to counter it....thus poor fuel mileage. Neat huh :)

Laters
Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.