LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 5-20-05, 7:11 Thread Starter
SD6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

SUPER BLOWOFF VALVE FAQ: with 40% more PSSSHHH

BLOWOFF VALVE FAQ TYPE-RFL (Really F'in Long)

I am not writing an unbiased FAQ. I hate people sacrificing performance for a silly noise, and I will not pretend that I don't. If you have your heart set on the latest BL!TZ SSQQSVVV or whatever the crap it is, and nothing I can say will change that, skip to part II.

I am not responsible for you ricing the hell out of your car and receiving a beatdown because of it. I am also not responsible for you somehow damaging your engine because you followed my instructions. Blame your parents.

---
Part I: You are uninformed and want a BOV
---

You've got an MX6 Turbo, congrats. Perhaps you've been smart enough to use the search feature of the forums to gather information on this car and it's peculiar traits and quirks on your own, or perhaps not. Perhaps you've decided on building an all out drag car, or perhaps you've decided to build a bling blingin show car.

Or, perhaps, you're one of the thousands of people who have registered on the forums and posted this as their first post:

"HEY HELP WHAT BOV IS GUD HOW DO I INSTALL IT???///"

I'm tired of seeing these threads. Everytime I see one I want to somehow convert myself into a digital signal, travel through miles and miles of phone line and fiber optics, just to pop out of the poster's modem and punch them in the throat. Anyway...

If you are one of these forementioned people, more likely than not, you want that PSSHHHH sound gained by venting excess pressure in the intake tract into the atmosphere. Well, first understand that the sound you crave like a Honda owner craves Type-R badges comes with a price. The MX6 uses a VAF to measure airflow into the engine. Air that has passed through the VAF has already been accounted for by the ECU, and the appropriate amount of fuel will be added to the combustion chamber. When you run an atmospheric venting BOV, you're losing metered air. What does this mean, besides the way cool PSSSHHH sound? It means that the air has already been accounted for by the VAF, and the fuel will be added, but you just shot the air that should match it out into the atmosphere.

Congratulations, you've created a rich condition. This is why the cool PSSSHHYHSHSYHJD sound is often accompanied by a backfire.

"So what, SD6, who cares?"

I DO BIATCH, YOU'RE MAKING THE REST OF US LOOK BAD.

No, really, YOU should care. A result of that brief rich condition will be a brief "bog" to match it. This will result in a somewhat slower spool up time once you're back on the throttle. So, now that you have a way cool BOV, and that way cool PSHSHEEIYR3999 sound, and that way cool backfire, you are now slower. I will shamefully admit that I briefly used a Greddy Type-S BOV, vented to the atmosphere. When I went to the track with it, I noticed my times suffered a bit. In the 1/8th mile, I was trapping an average of 1.5 mph slower than I was while using the stock bypass. Other documented symptoms of BOV use include, but are not limited to: Stalling, bogging, erratic idle, leaking, and an uncontrollable urge to purchase the entire PepBoys stock of APC products.

Hopefully, you've read this and are now saying:

"Hey, I didn't know a BOV would hinder my car's performance. You know, I've decided against buying one, and will instead invest my money in something else. Like horchata. Mmm, nothing beats a tall glass of horchata on a hot day"

Unfortunately, you may have somehow overridden the part of your brain that makes logical decisions and are now saying:

"Dude, I don't care, I WANT A BOV. I NEED to let everyone know my car is turbocharged, even though most naturally aspirated mid-sized sedans marketed at the 40+ crowd can deliver it a smackdown on the dragstrip"

That's alright, we're all different and like different things, it's your decision to make. However, I will hate you for it. Forever.

1989 GT - Red
1989 GT - Black
2011 CX7 - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 5-20-05, 7:12 Thread Starter
SD6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

Part Ii Yo Yo Yo

BOV FAQ TYPE-S

---
Part II: You are an idiot, you still want a BOV. But, I'll tell you how to install one anyway.
---

So, now you've weighed the pros and cons of using a BOV. Wait, were there any pros? Anyway, moving on.

"SD6, help me install my BOV!"

Say please, F4G0rt

"PLESE"

Okay.

The ideal mounting location for your new boost activated duckcall would be on the charge pipe, about 6-8 inches away from the throttle body. What is the charge pipe? Find your throttle body. Trace the pipe connected to it back about 6-8 inches. You're looking at the ideal mounting spot. Ha, that was a stupid question, wasn't it?

Why is that location ideal? Well, the stock setup requires the excess pressure to bounce off of the closed throttle plate, back through the charge pipe, through the intercooler, then through the bypass valve. Quite a journey, no? Mounting your BOV on the charge pipe ensures a quick release of that excess pressure, as it requires it to travel less distance.

You're going to need the proper flange for your new HKS party-favor. You can find one online somewhere, or have your local tuner shop order you one. Once the flange is welded to the charge pipe, go ahead and mount the BOV on the flange. Remove the vacuum line from your factory bypass valve and attach it to your new BOV. Wow, look at that, your BOV is now functional. Yay. Oh joy.

You'll probably want to remove the factory bypass. You'll need a short piece of 1.75" pipe with beaded ends to replace the bypass, as well as a large bolt or some other object to plug the hole in the turbo inlet pipe, so that you're not taking in/releasing metered/unmetered air.

I feel so dirty, explaining how to install a BOV. I'm so ashamed, I can't even think of a witty snappy SD6y way to wrap this up.

~~Fin~~

[ Comments ]

1989 GT - Red
1989 GT - Black
2011 CX7 - Black

Last edited by Panther37; 5-21-05 at 1:05.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page