What Happened to Performanceprobe.com? - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 7-29-18, 13:00 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 5

What Happened to Performanceprobe.com?

I haven't been on here in a long while. It took a bit to figure out what email I had the account set up to. I am sure I know the answer to the demise of Performanceprobe.com, but wanted to know if there is an archive out there for it where I can access and copy some of my old threads. Good to see that Mx6.com is still here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 7-29-18, 15:27

Quoted: 90 Post(s)

I didn't know it was gone until now, as surprising as not surprising. They had more members but less useful info than mx6.com or maybe I didn't search right. Most of the useful members where also on Mx6.com, the rest seemed uncertain, confused and had big plans to blow up their engines.
Over the past year, I ran a few searches on PP and noticed very few new post in the 1G forums, I believe Ademan was about the only one left posting there.

I think both forums and all the versions of the car (Tx5,626,mx6,probe...) have had one critical flaw all these years, the people tuning them, most of the guru's here had all the theory in the world, wrote very detailed build threads, calculated turbo trims and planned every detail of their engine build and modification around logic and engineering principals used in all builds, they acted like an authority in these departments and argued with calculations and facts, they where highly active members for as long as their build took and then, like that they where gone.

If you can guess what happened to performance probe than I bet you can guess what happened to their engines and their motivation.
All theory and too little practice.
It's is much easier to grow your build one step at a time while you are driving it adding and tuning around one upgrade than throwing everything at it and figuring it all out from scratch. Once you build the first one you can do a complete build by copying the formula from the first build...

Unfortunately a lot of the post where "I am right you are wrong" discussions to which the one with the most theory and biggest ego wins. Many of those that would rather look up what to do than figure it out would follow the information in the threads and also disappear.
The forum should be a collection of what worked and what didn't, giving us all something to build on, not what I am doing and what you should do, finish the build, blow up the engine and never go back to the forum.

Kill the cars, kill the forums.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 7-29-18, 21:47

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I kinda wondered the same thing. Here one day gone the next never to return evidently. Definitely a different crowd over there. I was entertained some of the times, much like what it used to be like on this forum years back. There were like 3 or maybe 4 guys that posted regularly with mixed relevant info. I continually found myself wondering if a few of those guys knew what car the Probe was based on and how much basic design was similar if not the same. Did Probetalk disappear too?

Yes, my car is ugly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-18, 22:23

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 0

Unfortunately performance probe forum is gone and will never be back again. The servers are shutdown and there is no one to even run the site anymore. It doesnt have anything to do with how active or inactive it was over there. The fact is there was lots of great info there for the 1st gen probe and the f2t for that matter. Losing all of that in the blink of an eye is a big loss to the probe community. Luckily there are still great sites like mx6.com that keep these f2t's alive!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-18, 22:50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojokes09 View Post
Unfortunately performance probe forum is gone and will never be back again. The servers are shutdown and there is no one to even run the site anymore. It doesnt have anything to do with how active or inactive it was over there. The fact is there was lots of great info there for the 1st gen probe and the f2t for that matter. Losing all of that in the blink of an eye is a big loss to the probe community. Luckily there are still great sites like mx6.com that keep these f2t's alive!
Agreed. I am looking for HKS PFC FCON wiring info and it seems there was a thread over there with the info I needed. The MX6 facebook group as some discussion about someone wanting to buy the domain/database but not being able to.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-18, 21:10

Quoted: 90 Post(s)

What I do when it comes to online info, when I find what I'm looking for copy and paste it in a folder. Information and websites disappear all the time and my memory sucks, all piggy back automotive wiring diagrams (msd, eic's, meth kits, nos kits or anything else I wire on a car) I write/draw by hand and keep in one binder.

But most of the stuff I search for now is universal, you don't need to see an F2T build to figure out what to do, just search a bunch of custom turbo upgrades and installs and find everything you need to know.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mazdacarnage
BUILD IT, BEAT IT, BREAK IT, REBUILD IT, BEAT IT MORE, BREAK IT AGAIN, BUILD IT BETTER, BEAT IT THE MOST AND ?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-8-18, 21:39

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfactorMX6 View Post
Agreed. I am looking for HKS PFC FCON wiring info and it seems there was a thread over there with the info I needed. The MX6 facebook group as some discussion about someone wanting to buy the domain/database but not being able to.
What info do you need on the wiring? Seeing as I wrote up the 88-89 wiring over at pp and have converted a lot of the harness. Also what harness are you starting with?

As for buying the database its never gonna happen it was hosted on a private server. Its best to just understand pp will never be back and that info is gone for good. Well you can still do some web crawls of the site.

Last edited by 04ProbeGT; 11-8-18 at 22:00.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-9-18, 0:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ProbeGT View Post
What info do you need on the wiring? Seeing as I wrote up the 88-89 wiring over at pp and have converted a lot of the harness. Also what harness are you starting with?

As for buying the database its never gonna happen it was hosted on a private server. Its best to just understand pp will never be back and that info is gone for good. Well you can still do some web crawls of the site.
04ProbeGT, no way! I am starting with an PFC FCON from a 1987 RX7 Turbo and I have the harness plugs from a 1988 MX6 GT to use.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-9-18, 1:10

Quote:
04ProbeGT, no way! I am starting with an PFC FCON from a 1987 RX7 Turbo and I have the harness plugs from a 1988 MX6 GT to use.
As long as you're using the harness from the 87 RX7 ZP4 thats the best harness to use as you only need to rewire the injectors as the rx7 runs 4 wires and the mx6 runs 2. If you know what you're doing this is a 2 min job.

All of my info on rewiring the harness came from the real hks mx6 harness. If you need a eprom chip let me know I still have a few.

I found its better to run a stock chip with only fc as apposed to using the fcd.

Last edited by 04ProbeGT; 11-9-18 at 1:26.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-18, 1:35

Quote:
As long as you're using the harness from the 87 RX7 ZP4 thats the best harness to use as you only need to rewire the injectors as the rx7 runs 4 wires and the mx6 runs 2. If you know what you're doing this is a 2 min job.

All of my info on rewiring the harness came from the real hks mx6 harness. If you need a eprom chip let me know I still have a few.

I found its better to run a stock chip with only fc as apposed to using the fcd.
I have no idea what I'm doing, wish I had a real harness to refer to but I'm glad I've got you. And yes I do need the chips.

Are you saying run the PFC Fcon with chip and not using the Fuel Cut Defender?

Here are the two harnesses I have that are supposed to be from an RX7;

I have 2 PFC FCons, 2 GCC and 2 FCD (one old and one new) and one Mixture Cont.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-18, 3:23

Quote:
I have no idea what I'm doing, wish I had a real harness to refer to but I'm glad I've got you. And yes I do need the chips.

Are you saying run the PFC Fcon with chip and not using the Fuel Cut Defender?

Here are the two harnesses I have that are supposed to be from an RX7;

I have 2 PFC FCons, 2 GCC and 2 FCD (one old and one new) and one Mixture Cont.
What box's do you have? Open then up and look in the top right corner you should see an fc3 or fc4 this well tell me what chips you need.

As for the mixture control is the blue wire tapped into the box or is it tapped into the harness?

Instead of using the fcd just run a an ecu that has a stock chip that has boost cut removed. The fcd is just a voltage clamp and leans out the top end, while the bc chips wont have that issue. If you need I have those chips as well.

IF those are the correct harness ZP-4 (Check to see if you have a small silver sticker on the harness that has zp-4 as well as what eprom are in teh unit are tehy by chance E104?) harness then you just have to re-pin the injectors, but as you should be able to tell those 2 harness you have have different colored wires so its not like I can say what to do by color.

IF you can get me a pic of the back of the harness only need one that way you can copy it on the second. I'll tell you what 2 wires to remove and what 2 wires to tie together and what 2 wires to connect.

See hes what the issue is the ZP4 has 8 injector wires 4 in and 4 out while the mx6 only uses 2 input and ties the 4 output signal into two pins on the ecu side of the jumper harness. So you have to cut out 2 of the input signals wires, patch those as a pass through, de-pin them from the back of the fcon plug as they are not needed and then tie the out put signals to the other 2 output signal wires.

All of those wires are located on the small plug its the only one you'll need to unwrap.

Last edited by 04ProbeGT; 11-12-18 at 3:02.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-18, 3:56

Quote:
What box's do you have? Open then up and look in the top right corner you should see an fc3 or fc4 this well tell me what chips you need.
HKS FC4

Quote:
As for the mixture control is the blue wire tapped into the box or is it tapped into the harness?
Mixture control is pinned into the plug that goes to the FCON, no wires tapped into box. Why did they do it both ways? Is there a difference?

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/04_Probe_GT/media/HKSmix-2.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s1166.photobucket.com/user/04_Probe_GT/media/HKSmix-1.jpg.html]

Quote:
Instead of using the fcd just run a an ecu that has a stock chip that has boost cut removed. The fcd is just a voltage clamp and leans out the top end, while the bc chips wont have that issue. If you need I have those chips as well.
Ok so no FCD needed. I have 3 chips here, zombie, probinator and one more unknown chip, will any of those work?

Quote:
IF those are the correct harness ZP-4 (Check to see if you have a small silver sticker on the harness that has zp-4 as well as what eprom are in teh unit are tehy by chance E104?) harness then you just have to re-pin the injectors, but as you should be able to tell those 2 harness you have have different colored wires so its not like I can say what to do by color.
ZP-4 sticker confirmed on harness with control mixture box. Other harness is missing sticker but wires match up on every connector.
One chip missing sticker
Other chip says E149

Quote:
IF you can get me a pic of the back of the harness only need one that way you can copy it on the second. I'll tell you what 2 wires to remove and what 2 wires to tie together and what 2 wires to connect.

Quote:
See hes what the issue is the ZP4 has 8 injector wires 4 in and 4 out while the mx6 only uses 2 input and ties the 4 output signal into two pins on the ecu side of the jumper harness. So you have to cut out 2 of the input signals wires, patch those as a pass through, de-pin them from the back of the fcon plug as they are not needed and then tie the out put signals to the other 2 output signal wires.

All of those wires are located on the small plug its the only one you'll need to unwrap.
I should have read the entire post, was replying section by section. I will re-read this tomorrow morning when my brain is fresher.

Last edited by XfactorMX6; 11-11-18 at 4:02.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-18, 12:53

Quote:
HKS FC4

Mixture control is pinned into the plug that goes to the FCON, no wires tapped into box. Why did they do it both ways? Is there a difference?

Ok so no FCD needed. I have 3 chips here, zombie, probinator and one more unknown chip, will any of those work?

ZP-4 sticker confirmed on harness with control mixture box. Other harness is missing sticker but wires match up on every connector.
One chip missing sticker
Other chip says E149

I should have read the entire post, was replying section by section. I will re-read this tomorrow morning when my brain is fresher.
Alright so lets know these out

FC4 is a E board you'll need the E chip

Yes there is a difference, going into the box give quicker response.

Yes and no, what the fcon does is interpreted the fuel maps and add on top but my issue when using the zombie or probinator was the timing, I didn't like how it was played with so I just went back to a stock chip. Like I said if you need one and can burn you one no problem.

Perfect as long as we know what harness were starting with were good as I have even used some of the Toyota ones before but you have to rewired the whole thing.

The only thing is fcon is really missing for the cool points is an ipm. Thats an injector pulse monitor

Last edited by 04ProbeGT; 11-12-18 at 3:02.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-18, 16:39

Glad to hear the HKS RX7 harness can be used with minimal rewiring.
I'll take 2 E chips and 2 stock chips with the fuel cut, let me know how much and your paypal/zelle.

Do you suggest wiring the Mixture Control blue line directly into the box and pin as shown?

I've been collecting the FCON parts for the last year I don't even want to know how hard an IPM would be to source lol.

Again, thank you so much for all your input!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 1-26-19, 19:41

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power: 0

Hi guys, just wondering if someone can help me with my probinator, i cant pass fuel cut, tried with 2 different chips, pp msg me please to help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page