Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

What Happened to Performanceprobe.com?

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeff_S 
#1 ·
I haven't been on here in a long while. It took a bit to figure out what email I had the account set up to. I am sure I know the answer to the demise of Performanceprobe.com, but wanted to know if there is an archive out there for it where I can access and copy some of my old threads. Good to see that Mx6.com is still here.

#2 ·
I didn't know it was gone until now, as surprising as not surprising. They had more members but less useful info than mx6.com or maybe I didn't search right. Most of the useful members where also on Mx6.com, the rest seemed uncertain, confused and had big plans to blow up their engines.
Over the past year, I ran a few searches on PP and noticed very few new post in the 1G forums, I believe Ademan was about the only one left posting there.

I think both forums and all the versions of the car (Tx5,626,mx6,probe...) have had one critical flaw all these years, the people tuning them, most of the guru's here had all the theory in the world, wrote very detailed build threads, calculated turbo trims and planned every detail of their engine build and modification around logic and engineering principals used in all builds, they acted like an authority in these departments and argued with calculations and facts, they where highly active members for as long as their build took and then, like that they where gone.

If you can guess what happened to performance probe than I bet you can guess what happened to their engines and their motivation.
All theory and too little practice.
It's is much easier to grow your build one step at a time while you are driving it adding and tuning around one upgrade than throwing everything at it and figuring it all out from scratch. Once you build the first one you can do a complete build by copying the formula from the first build...

Unfortunately a lot of the post where "I am right you are wrong" discussions to which the one with the most theory and biggest ego wins. Many of those that would rather look up what to do than figure it out would follow the information in the threads and also disappear.
The forum should be a collection of what worked and what didn't, giving us all something to build on, not what I am doing and what you should do, finish the build, blow up the engine and never go back to the forum.

Kill the cars, kill the forums.

#3 ·
I kinda wondered the same thing. Here one day gone the next never to return evidently. Definitely a different crowd over there. I was entertained some of the times, much like what it used to be like on this forum years back. There were like 3 or maybe 4 guys that posted regularly with mixed relevant info. I continually found myself wondering if a few of those guys knew what car the Probe was based on and how much basic design was similar if not the same. Did Probetalk disappear too?

#4 ·
Unfortunately performance probe forum is gone and will never be back again. The servers are shutdown and there is no one to even run the site anymore. It doesnt have anything to do with how active or inactive it was over there. The fact is there was lots of great info there for the 1st gen probe and the f2t for that matter. Losing all of that in the blink of an eye is a big loss to the probe community. Luckily there are still great sites like mx6.com that keep these f2t's alive!

#6 ·
What I do when it comes to online info, when I find what I'm looking for copy and paste it in a folder. Information and websites disappear all the time and my memory sucks, all piggy back automotive wiring diagrams (msd, eic's, meth kits, nos kits or anything else I wire on a car) I write/draw by hand and keep in one binder.

But most of the stuff I search for now is universal, you don't need to see an F2T build to figure out what to do, just search a bunch of custom turbo upgrades and installs and find everything you need to know.

#14 ·
Glad to hear the HKS RX7 harness can be used with minimal rewiring.
I'll take 2 E chips and 2 stock chips with the fuel cut, let me know how much and your paypal/zelle.

Do you suggest wiring the Mixture Control blue line directly into the box and pin as shown?

I've been collecting the FCON parts for the last year I don't even want to know how hard an IPM would be to source lol.

Again, thank you so much for all your input!

#19 ·
Good morning Friends,

I thought I would share a tip : the Wayback machine. they brand themselves as an 'internet archive' and store webpages as they were on such-and-such date and time. they accumulate a few over time, and thus can revive dead websites. Useful with old forums or websites that are no longer owned! Googling either Wayback Machine or Internet Archive should get you to the right .org website. they have a few snapshots of Performance Probe as it is, which provided me (a newbie to these cars) a lot of valuable info tonight.

Best of luck with your search!