Turbo Flutter/Compressor Surge - Mazda MX-6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-18, 13:41 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Power: 5

Turbo Flutter/Compressor Surge

After having my throttle body boot pop off, I figured it’d be good to loosen, reseat, and retighten the rest of the connections in my intake. I must’ve had a small boost leak, because it sounds way cleaner under boost, however now I notice a sound not unlike the gunslinger’s sound from the original Westworld movie.

The sound starts at the 10s mark:

It pretty well matches the description of turbo flutter, but I can’t for the life of me figure how tightening all the intake joints would cause it to appear, or (more importantly) how to fix it.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Last edited by OneWingedAngel; 12-18-18 at 13:48.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-18, 23:26

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

What turbo are you using and at what boost? Is the flutter sound on or off boost? Flutter is fine when you shut the throttle as long as all your connections are tight and your turbo isnt already shot. Despite popular belief surge when the turbo isnt loaded is okay, when the turbo is loaded and surges it then causes major thrust issues. I personally love my turbo flutter off throttle due to the lack of a blow off valve. Best sound i think. If youre surging during boost then you got some flow issues. Mismatched turbo could cause this as well as smaller i.d intake piping with large turbo. If youre trying to shove air at a rate higher than which it can be consumed then its likely going to surge so id start looking at possible restrictions. Verify throttle position, see if the intake is caked full, peak at your valves through your exhaust ports, stuff like that. No idea how not stock your ride is but hopefully helps you narrow down what youre looking for.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-18, 10:44 Thread Starter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Stock turbo, with a ball and spring boost controller before the wastetegate set to 15 PSI manifold pressure and a Zombie chip. I don’t get any compressor stall at WOT (at least that I can hear), I only notice it when letting off the throttle between 2 and 3k rpm.

It’s not that I think it’s gonna grenade my turbo (though I’m not convinced it’s harmless), it’s more that I’ve owned my MX6 for a decade now, and it’s not often she makes a new noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-18, 11:20

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Check bypass valve function and vacuum hose. Surge and flutter are from the throttle plate closing and the pressurized air trying to find a way to escape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page