Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

My 89 GT - Formerly Rami's 89 GT

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  concealer404 
#1 ·
Well, it seems like I'm making some progress lately, and I figured I'd share an update with the crowd here.

The car was picked up as a replacement for my 90 GT, which two years of neglect had left in a pretty sorry state.

About five minutes after purchase:

Although the car was well maintained mechanically, aesthetics left a lot to be desired, and the car was painfully stock.

It's also worth noting that despite 280k miles on the original engine, it showed no signs of giving up any time soon.

It received some body parts and leftover bits from the pile of MX6 memorabilia in the garage, was crashed into a guard rail after a particularly long overnight shift, and was generally pointed/laughed at by friends whenever I opted to drive it over my DSM.

Given the depressing state of the car, and the fender gap which was capable of accommodating an additional four passengers, the most logical thing I could think to do with it next was to enter it in a car show.

There's a completely logical explanation for this - The San Diego Grand Challenge

A season long competition series incorporating autocross, drag racing, and a concourse show with a catch - all entry vehicles had to be purchased or constructed for under $1000. Although the MX6 was purschased for just over that amount, it was deemed to be worth less than $1000 thanks to my guardrail assisted bodywork.

Unfortunately, the car never made it to competition. Working with the series' organizing body to run a smooth series took priority over the MX6 and a secondary entry I was working to complete. So the MX6 was relegated to beater/driveway ornament status again.

My original intent was to just use the car as a disposable commuter at this point, but a few things happened which motivated me to get the car back into respectable shape again.

The 2010 San Diego Grand Challenge was pushed back to Spring 2011, the budget cap was increased to a much more manageable $2000.00, and I realized I had far too much MX6 gear accumulated to take on a different project. Rod knock at 281k miles sealed the deal, rod knock is a good motivator.

So the goal was laid out - put together a well rounded MX6 GT for $2000.00.

I had the car in its then dismal state reappraised by the SDGC organizing body - $600. Seemed fair, even though I would never buy the car for that much :p

Less words, more work...

Engine was out, shortblock was replaced with an OEM rebuilt setup which I purchased for cheap from Antval several years ago and stored in the garage for a rainy day.

New and old.

Remaining budget - $1250.

Car is ugly and handles like a dead moose strapped to a skateboard, but runs well.

I am admittedly a sub-par body/paint guy, even by the lowest possible standards. Fortunately, I was able to collaborate with someone who was doing body/paint out of his home, and was working to build a clientele so as to move into a shop and begin legitimate business. He joined the team, and took the car in to make it less scalding to the retinas.

In the mean time, I consulted with Gavin, as well as the fine folks over at Corksport, and was given some great advice and direction for a suspension setup on a low budget. The best bang for the stretched buck was decided to be Tokico Illuminas, and Vogtland springs. Vogtland was recommended by a local vendor who has run them on several cars with success. Spring rates and drop height are typically similar to what you'd get from an Eibach Pro-Kit, but at a lower price point.

Four months later, the car is sitting in my teammate's garage, and I have a pile of parts in lieu of a kitchen table. My performance themed home decor is a hit with friends... my significant other... not so much.

At this point... some things happen. I sent my then teammate some customers for paint and body work so that he can continue to pay bills whilst working on the MX6. Long story short - the aftermarket industry is full of shady people. A backup MX6 is purchased, as I was not entirely sure that my car hadn't been transported across the international border into Mexico at this point.

Then there were some phone calls, angry words, beginnings of litigation, calls to law enforcement, threats of bodily harm, a surprise visit by San Diego Sheriff, and the car is back in my possession. Grey hair, lots of it on my head.

Well, look at that.

Suspension is installed, car handles well, runs well, and looks decent. I didn't get the spoiler back. Who steals a spoiler for an MX6? Oh well.

Tangent time.

I've been working in the marketing sector of the motorsports industry for the last few years. The amount of dishonest, flakey, shady, and unscrupulous people/businesses I have encountered is astounding. Machinists, vendors, mechanics, it goes on and on. When you find someone who is the opposite of those things, stick with them, send them business, help weed out the garbage.

Current setup -

Engine/Trans:
Rebuilt shortblock (OEM specs)
ACT HD clutch
NGK wires/plugs

Suspension:
Energy bushings
Dutch FSTB
OEM RSTB
Tokico Illumina struts
Vogtland springs

Body:
Resprayed Corvette Monza Red
90+ grille
90+ tail lights

I still have roughly $700 to allocate towards the car to keep it under budget for the 2011 San Diego Grand Challenge. I'll be sure to update once it's finished.

I'll be maintaining a more in depth record of this project here:
SocalRev

Big thanks to Corksport, Gavin, Sparkplugs.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work on the car....

could not agree more re the auto industry aftermarket, its hard work weeding out the shonky operators....despite me efforts to do my research and not get caught dealing with them...I have had my fingers burned.

What we need is a feedback rating for the auto industry like ebay...but I can see as many problems with that...you get alot of customers who are whingers and may skew the results.

BTW are they toyota cressida wheels ?

#9 ·
BTW are they toyota cressida wheels ?
Early 90s 929 wheels. I'm going to see if I can replace them with some RX7 or J30t BBS wheels though.

looks great. and leave the spoiler off. i almost wish my old mx6 was spoiler-less. looks so clean.

and i like your painted corners. ;) i started a new trend on this site!
It's funny how people with factory amber corners often swap them out for clears, while people with clears want amber. The grass is always greener I suppose :p

I'm starting to become partial to the spoilerless look myself, although the open mounting holes bug a bit.

I'm considering getting another trunk, welding up the holes, and wrapping it in low-gloss black vinyl, then doing a hood to match.

#3 ·
Car looks GREAT!!!! I'm really digging it. Wingless red 1Gs FTW!!! ;)

Sounds like you and I have a similar goal here.... Mine is going to the GRM $2010 Challenge. :D

#4 ·
Looking at your modifications, it looks like we're approaching the task differently.

Last year, guys who excelled in two events and were mid-pack the third were leading the points. I'm hoping the right build will yield high scores in show, drag racing, and something decent in autocross.

The tire restriction is doom to a high torque FWD car on an 1/8th mile track, but I get the feeling that running the stock turbo at low boost + nitrous will allow for big power that's a bit easier to modulate. At any rate, I have roughly a year to think it over and try things out.

#12 ·
Awwwwwwww Charles! NOOOOOO CHARLES!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.