• 1 Post By tazman171

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 9-22-17, 9:50 Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Power: 0

Unhappy Antenna motor '89 GT replacement - HELP

I need to replace the antenna mast and/or the motor. I have read all of the postings on this that I could find. So far I have accomplished over a period of at least 10 hours work:
* Confirmed that this job is a PITA on steroids as pointed out in the posts I have read.
* Removed the CPU from the "yellow board".
* Unplugged the wiring from the "yellow board".
* Taken out the bolt at the bottom of the "yellow board".
* I cannot pull out the antenna mast.
* I cannot even see the motor.
* I cannot get the "yellow board" to come out. There appears to be a snap like those on wiring plugs at the top, but for the life of me, I cannot get the snap to release the board if it is in fact holding it. The board is really quite loose.

I do not have any diagram of these parts (it would be great if I did). Any diagrams or advice on how to proceed on my "pursuit of the holy grail" will be appreciated more than I could ever express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 9-23-17, 9:53

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Power: 5

My older brother and myself did this job and yes it's a PITA! The yellow fuse panel must be pulled out as far as possible to reveal the motor and even with doing that there's still not much room to work with. The motor is held in by two small sheet metal looking screws at top and a bolt at the bottom. The locking collar for the antenna is on the left hand side of the motor, about 2/3's of the way up (look for the bronze screw at the base). This collar needs to be pushed up on to release the antenna. Be careful though, it memory serves, there's a spring inside the locking collar that could pop out, but it's been so long since I've done this job I could be wring there.

A side note, we did the repair with the dash out of the car, however, clearly that's not the way it's normally done.

Yes, my car is ugly

Last edited by ugly mx6 guy; 9-23-17 at 10:08.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 9-23-17, 10:18 Thread Starter

Thank you for confirming that the yellow fuse panel is secured with the snap at the top and the bolt at the bottom. I had removed the bolt but for the life of me I cannot unsnap the top. I have applied a normal amount of force and wiggle and jiggled it a lot with no results. I am afraid to apply to much force because I may be trying to move the snap in the wrong direction and damage it. I guess I will just have to keep plugging away with the snap and hope for the best. I now know I have to get it unsnapped before I can proceed and farther. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-17, 19:26

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
Just did this repair yesterday and yes it's a total PIA. As far as the snap, you have to press it down to release it while either prying or pulling the fuse panel straight out from the kick panel. I used a flat head screw driver to push it out while pressing the snap down. Here's the thing though, I removed the panel below the steering wheel then unbolted and removed the metal panel behind that, the one that holds the speaker. I then removed the ducts for the heater. Next i unplugged all of the connectors going to the fuse panel then the security ecu. Now the panel should come out.

Oh yeah, all of the paces that hold the wiring harnesses and/or plugs are removable for the fuse panel too, helps in getting access the the antenna motor. Hope this helps.

91' MX6 DX with MS2 DIYPNP ECU, Garret TBO-335, SCG-1, 2.5" exhaust, Tial Sport MV-S 38mm WG, no cat, etc. Bosch 4-hole injectors, 2.5" Aluminum intake piping, 25"x19"x3" intercooler, ACT St Perf HD PP and Disc, AEM X-series Wideband, AEM water Methanol Injection, 17" MB Alpina Black Wheels, 225/45 GT Road Hugger Ultras, '06 Mazda 6 Front Brakes, '93 Probe rear calipers on '89 Probe discs, GT Head/fog lights, Hikari LED lamps, Logic AC/Heat controls, Clifford alarm and remote start
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-6-17, 9:50 Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I was able to remove the antenna & motor. I just replaced the antenna and not the motor. Thanks again for the help.
DarkMx-6 and 89MX6GTTurbo like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-17, 1:40

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Garage
No problem, glad you got her done!
DarkMx-6 likes this.

91' MX6 DX with MS2 DIYPNP ECU, Garret TBO-335, SCG-1, 2.5" exhaust, Tial Sport MV-S 38mm WG, no cat, etc. Bosch 4-hole injectors, 2.5" Aluminum intake piping, 25"x19"x3" intercooler, ACT St Perf HD PP and Disc, AEM X-series Wideband, AEM water Methanol Injection, 17" MB Alpina Black Wheels, 225/45 GT Road Hugger Ultras, '06 Mazda 6 Front Brakes, '93 Probe rear calipers on '89 Probe discs, GT Head/fog lights, Hikari LED lamps, Logic AC/Heat controls, Clifford alarm and remote start
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 1-27-18, 18:28

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Did you ever finish the install? I know I have a diagram somewhere, I know I'm a little late, but I can definitely host a picture if it's any help.

Zoom -----------------________
_Zoom____----=+_.''/_|__d>____
_Zoom_----___[\mazda...| -__ \ GT__ L\
Zoom___--__--\___(@)...|____.|..(@)._''
RIP SixSick6
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 7-16-19, 16:38

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where did you find a replacement mast. I need to replace the one in my sons 89 MX6 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page